WoW start up advice please

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
You know, lately (like, for the past couple weeks), my hand has been a-okay. If it seems to have finally healed completely, and doesn't give me any more grief, maybe I'll start playing again when the new expansion comes out.

Maybe! ;)

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
HeartlessNinny said:
You know, lately (like, for the past couple weeks), my hand has been a-okay. If it seems to have finally healed completely, and doesn't give me any more grief, maybe I'll start playing again when the new expansion comes out.

Maybe! ;)

"Quick, we need Ben Gay!!" :lol:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
the best thing i've done in wow is quit.

hardcore raiding takes all your time away. if youre not raiding, then youre farming cash.

so my advice is dont get sucked in theres tons of other good games to play. and if you have to play, dont raid.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
not sonic said:
the best thing i've done in wow is quit.

hardcore raiding takes all your time away. if youre not raiding, then youre farming cash.

so my advice is dont get sucked in theres tons of other good games to play. and if you have to play, dont raid.

I enjoy raiding. Granted, I only go typically one night a week (Kara), so I guess I'm on the casual side. I like the teamwork, the challenge and the camaradarie. If I did it 3-4 nights a week like some of the hardcore players I know, I would probably hate it also.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
karas not raiding. :emb:

raiding is ssc/tk, learning vasjh and kael 3-4 nights a week. and then squeezing in kara and za. and then farming gold on weekends.

we had kara down to a point where we were finished in ~3 hours with two healers and one dual wielding warrior tanking.

i couldnt take the guild drama, the giant waste of time, or the raid schedule any mo.

10 mans are fun. dont do 25.

HeartlessNinny

not sonic said:
karas not raiding. :emb:

raiding is ssc/tk, learning vasjh and kael 3-4 nights a week. and then squeezing in kara and za. and then farming gold on weekends.

we had kara down to a point where we were finished in ~3 hours with two healers and one dual wielding warrior tanking.

i couldnt take the guild drama, the giant waste of time, or the raid schedule any mo.

10 mans are fun. dont do 25.

Hate to say it, but you gotta good point here. I don't have anything against 25 (or 40, for that matter) man raids on an inherent level, but I don't wanna do 'em again. I have no life, and still I couldn't keep up with motherfuckers playing this game 24/7.

That said. I still miss the hell out of WoW. I think I might buy me a subscription card at the end of the month... Gah, never though I'd utter those words. ;)

venomous

NEST Puppy,
HeartlessNinny said:
I think I might buy me a subscription card at the end of the month... Gah, never though I'd utter those words. ;)

I know the feeling man...

I very quietly jumped back in the game for just 1 month, (thanks to this thread), and sadly it wasn't a great experience. Not only was my old guild gone, but out of the 30 or so friends that I used to talk to all the time, only one still played. Everybody bailed on the game. That sort of created an underlying sense of emptiness that I couldn't shake. Having been burnt before by blizz with BC, (lvl 60 epic raid gear=worthless) it seems most of them quit and will come back after the new xpac hits. That's prolly what I'll do also.

The way I see it, the grind to 80, the new exploration, getting all my skills up to the new max, and the fact most of my old friends will be back playing, pretty much will make the game worth playing again.

HeartlessNinny

venomous said:
I know the feeling man...

I very quietly jumped back in the game for just 1 month, (thanks to this thread), and sadly it wasn't a great experience. Not only was my old guild gone, but out of the 30 or so friends that I used to talk to all the time, only one still played. Everybody bailed on the game. That sort of created an underlying sense of emptiness that I couldn't shake. Having been burnt before by blizz with BC, (lvl 60 epic raid gear=worthless) it seems most of them quit and will come back after the new xpac hits. That's prolly what I'll do also.

The way I see it, the grind to 80, the new exploration, getting all my skills up to the new max, and the fact most of my old friends will be back playing, pretty much will make the game worth playing again.

Dude, I'm such a loner these days that I don't care that my guild will be gone and my friends vanished to the four winds. Truthfully, I did almost everything by myself a lot of the time anyways, except raiding, of course. And come to think of it, I actually kind of want everyone to be gone, so I can just do my thing in peace and not have to worry about getting sucked in too badly.

I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to just tour around some, level some alts. ;)

P.S. Don't tell me you're one of those guys who complained that the new loot in BC trumped their 60 raid stuff? I was a hardcore raider too, don't forget. And you didn't start getting stuff that was too too much better 'til at least level 65 or so, sometimes a lot higher, depending on what you had. And that doesn't count Naxx gear, which was good right through 'til 70. Personally, I had a lot of tier 2 stuff, and I kept it 'til at least 65. Admittedly, tier 1 was worthless right away, but that gear wasn't that great anyways, so who cares.

If you don't get new stuff, it's kind of pointless to level up, no? And, conversely, if you care about loot and nothing else, you would've been a bad guy to have raiding anyways.

venomous

NEST Puppy,
HeartlessNinny said:
P.S. Don't tell me you're one of those guys who complained that the new loot in BC trumped their 60 raid stuff? I was a hardcore raider too, don't forget. And you didn't start getting stuff that was too too much better 'til at least level 65 or so, sometimes a lot higher, depending on what you had. And that doesn't count Naxx gear, which was good right through 'til 70. Personally, I had a lot of tier 2 stuff, and I kept it 'til at least 65. Admittedly, tier 1 was worthless right away, but that gear wasn't that great anyways, so who cares.

If you don't get new stuff, it's kind of pointless to level up, no? And, conversely, if you care about loot and nothing else, you would've been a bad guy to have raiding anyways.

What? Hell no, I didn't give a crap about that. I'll go further and say I actually laughed at all the hardcore players that whined about it. Mainly because I was smart enough not to raid every week after details from BC finally were made official. I left the game and after I came back, between my new Armorsmith gear, and socketed blues, by level 65 I was completely vindicated by my decision. I actually had better weapons @ lvl 63 (Fury spec war dual weilding Axe of the Legion X2) And going from 60 to 65 was pretty much a cake walk, and didn't take long either.

I made mention of it in my last post because virtually every hardcore raider that I played with, that whined about the new BC gear, has decided to bail on the game till the new Xpac comes this time around. Seems many don't want to sacrifice all their free time to raid only to have better stuff waiting for them at lvl 75 or whenever. I actually don't give a crap if it takes lvl 80 epic rep gear to surpass the good BC raid (or PVP) stuff.

Again, I hated the raiding schedule, I was more into turning up the music, grabbing a drink, and soloing rep, or helping guild lowbies with instance runs. And of coarse grouping with my close friends that I've been playing with for the last few years. If all my old buddies don't get back into wow after Lich King arrives, I doubt I'll stick around long. The best part of the game was hooking up with them to quest, and run 5 mans and stuff. When I played in Feb. and only 1 the old gang (now a PVPer) was still playing, It took alot of the fun out of it, for myself anyway. I'm sure they'll jump back into the game though.

HeartlessNinny

venomous said:
What? Hell no, I didn't give a crap about that. I'll go further and say I actually laughed at all the hardcore players that whined about it. Mainly because I was smart enough not to raid every week after details from BC finally were made official. I left the game and after I came back, between my new Armorsmith gear, and socketed blues, by level 65 I was completely vindicated by my decision. I actually had better weapons @ lvl 63 (Fury spec war dual weilding Axe of the Legion X2) And going from 60 to 65 was pretty much a cake walk, and didn't take long either.

I made mention of it in my last post because virtually every hardcore raider that I played with, that whined about the new BC gear, has decided to bail on the game till the new Xpac comes this time around. Seems many don't want to sacrifice all their free time to raid only to have better stuff waiting for them at lvl 75 or whenever. I actually don't give a crap if it takes lvl 80 epic rep gear to surpass the good BC raid (or PVP) stuff.

Again, I hated the raiding schedule, I was more into turning up the music, grabbing a drink, and soloing rep, or helping guild lowbies with instance runs. And of coarse grouping with my close friends that I've been playing with for the last few years. If all my old buddies don't get back into wow after Lich King arrives, I doubt I'll stick around long. The best part of the game was hooking up with them to quest, and run 5 mans and stuff. When I played in Feb. and only 1 the old gang (now a PVPer) was still playing, It took alot of the fun out of it, for myself anyway. I'm sure they'll jump back into the game though.

Ah, good to hear, clearly I misunderstood you completely.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Anyone try Heroic Magister's Terrace yet?

Second boss is a big pain (then again, we had two melee dps, so that might account for alot of my frustration...).

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
ViewtifulZFO said:
Anyone try Heroic Magister's Terrace yet?

Second boss is a big pain (then again, we had two melee dps, so that might account for alot of my frustration...).

Haven't tried heroic MT yet, maybe this weekend. Overall I like the new island but the 5-man instance is kind of meh. Nothing really radically new there. I really want WotLK to get here soon..

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
I started on alliance and just found out that alltho a lot of cool people. Theres way to many people just casual players on that side that dont know what the hell there doing. So go Horde, Horde FTW.

Also all i can recommend is try out a lot of classes, goto about level 20 before you can get a feel for the class. then pick one to stick with then. if you dont do this you will end up leveling to 40-50 to find out maybe you would have liked to be this other class. and waste a lot of time.

I have made a 70 Gnome lock, 60 NE Rogue, 51 Human Rogue, 40 Human Shadow Priest then i switched over to horde cause i got sick of being in alli guilds that were clueless. Then i made a 70 Tauren Druid, and im in the process of finishing out my Orc Hunter and Orc Warrior. Iv had much more fun on horde druid tanking then i had with any of those other classes.

Last edited: