WoW start up advice please

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
OK, I recently got a PC decent enough to play games on, the first I have bought is WoW. I knwo NOTHING of this game besides it's reputation. So maybe you guys could help me out with some quick questions:

I take it that once you create a character and are assigned a realm (a server I take it?)- that's where you stay? You can't switch later- or can you?

Any classes/races that are crappy?

Any that are sorta more badass?

And anything else you'd advise a new person on...

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Step 1. Don't buy World of Warcraft.

Step 2. Enjoy your life.

Step 3. Since you already bought it, and doomed yourself, I'll answer:

-You choose the realm you want to inhabit:
PvE = Other players cannot attack you outside of the designated player combat areas
PvP = Other players can attack you anywhere except zones that are controlled by your faction
RP = STAY. AWAY.

-Certain races are better suited for certain classes, last I checked anyway. If you want to have an easy time playing, make a Troll or Night Elf hunter and laugh your way through the game.

Otherwise I'd go with a Tauren Warrior.

Fuck Alliance.

Last edited:

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Yeah I played this for like 2 weeks STRAIGHT last summer. It'll destroy everything - but I was really depressed at the time and didn't care - it was fun to pass the time.

I was a warrior human - very creative - I enjoyed it - but I died in like every other battle. It's probably better if you run around with other people - but I don't know, it was like I was underpowered forever - when I finally quit playing I was getting to a point where fighting was more fun and I had some powerful techniques... it's repetitive - but that's what's addicting. I finally deleted the bitch.

But yeah - I'm on topic - if you're a warrior - it's a slow grind for awhile to get to where there's variety and "fun" in fighting - especially if you're like me and wanna kill everything (including everything that's a level or two higher).

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
Fuck Alliance.

I used to feel the same way, but I've played Alliance since day one. I recently tried switching to Horde. You know what I found? Even more retardedness. I have a suspicion that many of the jackasses from Alliance got bored after a couple of years and have now migrated Horde-side.

neobuyer, if you're looking for a helping hand in the game, come to my server (Argent Dawn). I will answer your questions in-game, help you find which class works for you and throw some starting gold your way to help you out.

I'm actually leveling a newbie Shaman with some friends, he's only 12 so he would be perfect to play with.

As far as classes go, since this is your first time I am going to recommend going Hunter. They are fairly easy to pick up, but difficult to master at end game. You can tame pets after level 10 that will tank for you while you stand back and fire arrows at your enemies. They also level easier than other classes.

Warrior is also a solid choice, plenty of armor and damage capability. Pick up a shield and learn how to tank well and you will always be needed for groups in end game, especially on my server.

Buro Destruct

Ghost-Dog said:
I used to feel the same way, but I've played Alliance since day one. I recently tried switching to Horde. You know what I found? Even more retardedness. I have a suspicion that many of the jackasses from Alliance got bored after a couple of years and have now migrated Horde-side.

neobuyer, if you're looking for a helping hand in the game, come to my server (Argent Dawn). I will answer your questions in-game, help you find which class works for you and throw some starting gold your way to help you out.

I'm actually leveling a newbie Shaman with some friends, he's only 12 so he would be perfect to play with.

As far as classes go, since this is your first time I am going to recommend going Hunter. They are fairly easy to pick up, but difficult to master at end game. You can tame pets after level 10 that will tank for you while you stand back and fire arrows at your enemies. They also level easier than other classes.

Warrior is also a solid choice, plenty of armor and damage capability. Pick up a shield and learn how to tank well and you will always be needed for groups in end game, especially on my server.
Blood Elves ruined the game.

No really.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:

Step 2. Enjoy your life.

I would just eat the $50 or whatever. Seriously, the game is barely even a game.

(If you want something to sink endless hours into, pick up the iD complete pack on Steam.)

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Argent Dawn eh? Nice, I'll make my 'real' character there. I have just been experimenting with all the races just to get a feel for what won't get 'old' too fast (hopefully). I really want to play a big, badass armored knight with horns and spikes and the like. But those elves look good too. I don't have Burning Crusade yet- I got the old one as a gift for xmas, but hadn't bought my new PC till 3 weeks ago.

I'll go Argent though, thanks GD.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Buro Destruct said:

Step 2. Enjoy your life.

-You choose the realm you want to inhabit:
PvE = Other players cannot attack you outside of the designated player combat areas
PvP = Other players can attack you anywhere except zones that are controlled by your faction
RP = STAY. AWAY.

-Certain races are better suited for certain classes, last I checked anyway. If you want to have an easy time playing, make a Troll or Night Elf hunter and laugh your way through the game.

Otherwise I'd go with a Tauren Warrior.

Fuck Alliance.

Seconded, on pretty much all counts. WoW ate about 14 months of my life, and nearly gave me carpal tunnel. I still think about playing, too, even though I dropped the game months ago. Dude, no joke, it's like starting smoking or something. Give serious thought to quitting before you get hooked, if you get wrapped up in these things easily. Or even if you get wrapped up not-so-easily.

And yeah, fuck Alliance.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Wouldn't these questions be better for a WoW message board?

Buro Destruct

HeartlessNinny said:
Seconded, on pretty much all counts. WoW ate about 14 months of my life, and nearly gave me carpal tunnel. I still think about playing, too, even though I dropped the game months ago. Dude, no joke, it's like starting smoking or something. Give serious thought to quitting before you get hooked, if you get wrapped up in these things easily. Or even if you get wrapped up not-so-easily.

And yeah, fuck Alliance.
The thing that drove me away was the competition aspect of endgame.

It wasn't enough to have fun and group, you had to race toward gearing yourself for increasingly more diifficult and time-consuming instances and raids. Or PvPing, wherein the only true way to reward yourself for that was doing it 24/7 until you hit Grand Marshall or War Chieftain (or whatever the Horde equivalent was) and then....what?

I had guild members offer to play my character (Troll Priest) I wasn't on because I was the best and most active priest we had but I wasn't 60 and didn't have time to raid Onyxia all day for Tier 2 gear. WTF?!

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
I'd recommend going with a hunter as well. They used to actually be pretty boring but blizzard has tuned them (and actually overpowered them in some aspects) recently, and it makes for a really fun experience.

They're easy to get the hang of, takes some skill to master.

You can also switch your character to a different realm if you wish, but you have to pay for the transfer unless the server has free transfers up (happens when a server is overpopulated.)

My advise to you is to manage your gold well so that you can breeze through the leveling process. Learning new abilities at higher levels actually gets pretty expensive, not to mention the cost for mounts.

Get some high slot bags asap and pick up every single piece of garbage you can find and then sell them to vendors afterwards for some easy cash.

Even if you get free money by whoever (GD probably), still get the hang of managing your gold.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
cannonball said:
Wouldn't these questions be better for a WoW message board?

Well, since I knew there were Wow players here, and since I didn't want to take the time to find a WoW msg. board and make an acct. and then get people telling me to read the FAQ and not ask stupid questions, um...no.

Oh, and btw- don't make stupid posts in my threads.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
This game isn't at all what I thought it was going to be. I mean that in both a bad and a good way. I haven't ever played a mmorpg (PSU isn't really one) except for....wait for it.... Everquest on PS2. Yeah, and I played that for a week.

I find WoW tedious a bit, but I run it in the window and play it in spurts while I work on other non-game things.

Also, I like the fact that I can move around with nothing but the mouse.

But damn, killing spiders and gay looking little sprite dudes is kind of grating.

But it is kind of addicting I suppose, but like I said- for maybe 15 min at a time. I assume the game is going to be way more fun once I am out of the training 'elf forest' part, right?

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
The game starts picking up once you gain a handful of abilities so that you're not always just repeating the same 2 moves over and over.

There's going to be gay looking spiders all the way to 70 tho.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
neobuyer, I'll jump on later this evening. PM me your name or post it here and I'll meet up with you.

Buro Destruct

When the game launched, Hunters were WAY broken, in both extremes. They had little to no real endgame usage, their 5-man role was hazy at best, and their damage output was through the roof. Basically all they could do on a regular basis was over-DPS, draw aggro and fuck up.

Then Blizzard made several changes, eventually resulting in the fact that they realized that Hunters NEVER MISSED a shot. The roll tables for the Miss Chance was broken for the class. They fixed this and everybody bitched and quit the class.

Then they changed the damage tables to include armor rating.

Then they revamped the talent trees and Hunters did mega damage again.

I haven't played in almost a year, I have no idea where the class is at now.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
When the game launched, Hunters were WAY broken, in both extremes. They had little to no real endgame usage, their 5-man role was hazy at best, and their damage output was through the roof. Basically all they could do on a regular basis was over-DPS, draw aggro and fuck up.

Then Blizzard made several changes, eventually resulting in the fact that they realized that Hunters NEVER MISSED a shot. The roll tables for the Miss Chance was broken for the class. They fixed this and everybody bitched and quit the class.

Then they changed the damage tables to include armor rating.

Then they revamped the talent trees and Hunters did mega damage again.

I haven't played in almost a year, I have no idea where the class is at now.

Aimed Shot reduces healing effects on its target by 50%.

Arcane Shot strips a random magic effect from target.

The "dead zone" had been all but removed.

Yeah, we finally got some love. :cool:

Buro Destruct

Ghost-Dog said:
The "dead zone" has been all but removed.
LMAO

Wow way to BREAK the fucking class Blizz.

Can you guys dual-wield ranged weapons too? Christ.

I like the way they went with making the Hunter an anti-magic/2nd-rate CC class though.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
LMAO

Wow way to BREAK the fucking class Blizz.

Can you guys dual-wield ranged weapons too? Christ.

I like the way they went with making the Hunter an anti-magic/2nd-rate CC class though.

Actually I think the dead zone adjustment was long overdue. Hunters were absolutely useless in the arena. Magic using classes have no dead zone, so it seems a little off for Hunters to have one. As someone who played a Hunter since launch, I've seen a LOT of changes to the class over the last three years.. most of them nerfs. It's nice to get a little love from Blizzard and be feared in PvP again the way we used to be.

People run from me in Battlegrounds again instead of pointing and laughing, it's a good feeling.

EDIT, I forgot to comment about the CC comment. I don't think it's so much that we're 2nd rate, it's just not our primary focus. Blizzard wanted to make us valuable in end game instances with our versatility, which I like. I can DPS a mob like crazy, but in a pinch I can be backup CC with chain trapping. Healers and other assorted cloth wearers also appreciate a well timed trap when they accidentally pull aggro.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ghost Dog, is your lvl12 Horde or Alliance?

I am installing Burning Crusade and am going to make a new character, as the one I made yesterday is only lvl6 anyway.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
All my characters on Argent Dawn are Alliance.

Buro Destruct

Ghost-Dog said:
Actually I think the dead zone adjustment was long overdue. Hunters were absolutely useless in the arena. Magic using classes have no dead zone, so it seems a little off for Hunters to have one. As someone who played a Hunter since launch, I've seen a LOT of changes to the class over the last three years.. most of them nerfs. It's nice to get a little love from Blizzard and be feared in PvP again the way we used to be.

People run from me in Battlegrounds again instead of pointing and laughing, it's a good feeling.

EDIT, I forgot to comment about the CC comment. I don't think it's so much that we're 2nd rate, it's just not our primary focus. Blizzard wanted to make us valuable in end game instances with our versatility, which I like. I can DPS a mob like crazy, but in a pinch I can be backup CC with chain trapping. Healers and other assorted cloth wearers also appreciate a well timed trap when they accidentally pull aggro.
A well played Hunter should be able to work around a dead zone. Of course it all depends on what you play yourself.

When I was a Priest, the sight of a Hunter made me haul ass in the opposite direction. Melting faces is no good when a Frostsaber is a chewing a hole in your ass while his owner pelts you with conc shots and DoTs.

Btw the last character I played was a Tauren Druid. What a fucking GREAT class. A beast spec (whatever the beast tree is called) Druid can hurtz you bad.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
A well played Hunter should be able to work around a dead zone. Of course it all depends on what you play yourself.

When I was a Priest, the sight of a Hunter made me haul ass in the opposite direction. Melting faces is no good when a Frostsaber is a chewing a hole in your ass while his owner pelts you with conc shots and DoTs.

Btw the last character I played was a Tauren Druid. What a fucking GREAT class. A beast spec (whatever the beast tree is called) Druid can hurtz you bad.

As a Marksman Hunter, my pet is a distraction at best. Any high level caster will not lose much focus while being hit. Mages used to skullfuck me with their Frost Nova. They would root me in place, then stand in my dead zone and nuke me. Scatter shot, concuss and frost trap were somewhat useful, but a good Mage always got around those things.

In BG's I frequently got owned by Shadow Priests with their fear and DoT's. With the new buffs to Hunters and my Alliance Trinket I actually have a chance to win half the time now.

Warriors and Pallys still give me nightmares though.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Buro Destruct said:
The thing that drove me away was the competition aspect of endgame.

It wasn't enough to have fun and group, you had to race toward gearing yourself for increasingly more diifficult and time-consuming instances and raids. Or PvPing, wherein the only true way to reward yourself for that was doing it 24/7 until you hit Grand Marshall or War Chieftain (or whatever the Horde equivalent was) and then....what?

I had guild members offer to play my character (Troll Priest) I wasn't on because I was the best and most active priest we had but I wasn't 60 and didn't have time to raid Onyxia all day for Tier 2 gear. WTF?!

Yeah, man, I can relate. I played in raid guilds for a long time, myself, and right before I quit, I was in the top Horde guild on an admittedly medicore server. Still, I was pretty into it.

Which is to say, I was a slave to fuckin' WoW. For upwards of 12 hours a day, I'd plunk myself at my desk and got at 'er. I didn't have anyone play my toon, but rather farmed all my gold and resources myself. As a resto shaman. Now tell me that shit ain't hardcore. :)

On the plus side, I got good enough as a shaman soloist I could win duels against pretty competitive players, of pretty much any class. Plus I could solo quests that were designed for 3 players (might have even done a four once, but it was easy, if I remember right).

Man... I should get the fuck out of this thread right now. Makes me wanna WoW again, despite all the pain involved. Quit now, neobuyer! Get out while you can! Seriously.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
HeartlessNinny said:
Man... I should get the fuck out of this thread right now. Makes me wanna WoW again, despite all the pain involved. Quit now, neobuyer! Get out while you can! Seriously.

I am not afraid!