MS 1 with no instructions, probably not legit

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Yea the link isn't working for me either...If you go to Site Map from the page the link goes to and put in(in search)

It'll come up..

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Never mind. I can see the link. Price seems fair. I cant comment on whether this was intentional deception or if he genuinely didn't know that it was a conversion.

If you have been collecting games for some time then you are aware that between Garou, MS5, MS4, World Heroes Perfect, SS5 and the REI Console alone there was no way that the MS1 could have been real. MS1 goes for about $3000 by itself. I think that sometimes people want something so bad that they are willing to take unnecessary risks. Did you ask for separate pictures of the MS1? If so, you would have been able to find out beforehand.

As far as a lawsuit, it seems pointless. You wont get anything but the aggravation of knowing that you filed a law suit and gained nothing for your efforts. Take this situation as a learning experience and realize that when it comes to the Neo Geo, you wont get any stellar deals. People selling this stuff all think their crap is R@R3!! and worth a lot of money. Ask for numerous pics of all high dollar carts and never be afraid to ask us for help. There are a lot of us here that either have owned or still own complete collections that can help you out.

Phillip

Last edited:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
ttooddddyy said:
Split the cart - lets see whats inside.

Do it...
http://www.tiptonium.com/neogeo/projects_howtoopenaescart.htm

May aswell now and lets see some pics
but you have him bang to rights if you
still have those comms between you.

What do the bios throw up on that MS1 ?
He can swap out a bios to 2.0 but not tell a conversion or boot :annoyed:

He has a 7 day return for items and its been near 3 weeks now ?
Is there a chance you can do an exchange / refund.

You don't seem too happy with the deal...
From what time I spent checking his ebay for your stuff I got $1,300
minus 20 odd carts.

Welcome to the site BTW... Keep it in your favourites

EDIT: QFT Phillip.

Last edited:

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Thanks so much for all of your comments..

After reading all of the stellar posts, I have decided to follow the consensus and DO NOTHING!!!! I have gotten so much grief over this from my wife, I may just sell my entire collection! Yeah, I was hoping that the MS1 cart was an orginal, and I respectfully disagree with everyones comments about what certain carts are worth. These old video games are worth what someone will pay for them, and no more or less. I have seen neo geo collector carts in bargain bins, yard sales and I used to collect them from swap meets as well. I have seen people pay astronomical prices for some, and I have seen the opposite as well. The reason behind an ebay transaction is to get the best deal you can. That is what I was hoping to do. As it stands, I figure that I got enough stuff from this deal that I can re-sell for close to what I paid. If MS1 is worth $3000, why hasn't some collector snapped up the one that has been on ebay from a trustworthy dealer for some time? I would speculate that no one is willing to spend that much this time of year. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a really good cart in a bundle. Sometimes, like this time, you don't get what you thought you were bargaining for. In every case, you don't get ahead unless your willing to take the risk. It is my feeling that the seller either knew or didn't care about misleading me. By not taking action against sellers who pass boots, how do we as collectors prevent this kind of thing happening in the future. Thanks so much again for all of your thoughtful comments. TLH -

bulletnyourass

noble trader
TLH said:
If MS1 is worth $3000, why hasn't some collector snapped up the one that has been on ebay from a trustworthy dealer for some time? . TLH -

I can easily answer that question for you.

1) Most collectors (including myself) want to purchase a 100% MINT copy. Once you are going to drop a few thousand dollars you want to go ahead and get a near flawless one similar to the ones forum member Kiselgof or TonK have owned in the past. I'm not saying that Kenny's copy is bad but for a little more money a person would rather have a Mint- or better (if possible). I am referring to the slight wrinkling and water marks on the insert. I do commend him on mentioning it because you cant see any problem in the picture. He could have easily not mentioned it.

2) There are some people on these forums who don't like Kenny for whatever reasons so they wouldn't purchase it just because of their personal dislike for him.

3) Your speculation is correct. With the current holiday season at hand, people are spending so much money for their holiday travels and gift purchases that this is a bad time for anyone selling high priced carts. However, we are approaching income tax season within the next couple of months so Kenny may move this and a few other of his items once people start receiving their refund checks.

4) Metal Slug is one of the most bootlegged home carts there is. There are a lot of people out there who know how to make some damn near identical fakes. You have to remember that not every Neo owner is a member of this site and ( most importantly) not every member of this site owns a neo geo home console. A lot of people are hesitant about making high dollar transactions over the internet because of all the horror stories of people who have ended up with fakes. Not everyone knows to come to this website and ask for help beforehand.

5) Patience is a virtue in this hobby. With the amount of people that use Ebay the odds are that you are going to have a decent amount of unsavory members. Everyone thinks Ebay is the Bible of price guides for all items. So you have to be prepared that there are people looking for an opportunity to take advantage of you. People want deals but don't want to give deals. Collecting home carts isn't like collecting Pokemon. You don't have to catch them all right away. Here's an example:

I need 3 home carts to complete my US collection. One of those is Euro Double Dragon. For about 2-3 years I have been looking for one. They normally go for about $1000 (give or take a few dollars depending on condition). There was one in the Neo Store not too long ago and it was around $1100. I almost caved in but when I was going to ask Shawn more info about it, the game had been sold. About 2 weeks ago I found a copy for $788 Shipped that was in similar condition to the Neo Store copy.

Had I came across this deal after I bought the cart from the Neo Store, I would have been pissed off at myself. As for Kenny's MS1. That would be an acceptable copy for me ...but maybe not for someone else's collection. I'm not saying you shouldn't look for deals .... I'm just saying that in todays society, people selling Neo stuff know what it's worth and if they wanted to scam you, they know just how to do it ... especially with the ones who know how to make near identical replications.

Phillip

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Just send me all your carts i want anything i can get ahold of

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Thanks for the info Bullet

Yeah, I have though about buying Kennys' MS cart. I would probably be happy with it for the right price. The thing is, I may be better off waiting until after the first of the year as well. Things have been very slow at the office. I have some carts that I am going to be offering up soon. All orginals with instructions, nice clean boxes, but maybe not the quality you would be after. Most of my carts are between really good and mint all originals with manuals. I have about 100 or so now, most of the cheap ones covered. Just recently, I bought MS3,MS4 US and SVC Chaos from neo store, and I have more than one copy of MS4, Samurai 3 and some other misc.. duplicates. I am going to offer up on ebay, a really nice set of Jap Sam. Spirit 1-5. I don't have a duplicate of Zero though. Anyway, collecting is a fun past time. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. By the way and I may do this in another post, but do you know what MS1 CD is worth unopened in the original SNK wrapper? I have about 25 or so CD's unopened that I might trade for carts. TLH

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Hmm $78.00 seems like a good price

Again, it might be the time of year. It would seem that Metal Slug CD's would be considered appreciating though. 100 to 150 ? Is that for an unopen version? Or would that price be based on an open still mint version. It would seem to me that unopened CD's would be more valuable as collectors items. I know that I never plan on opening the ones that I have. Although, I must say that I have been tempted to open them on more than one occasion. TLH

TLH

Zero's Secretary
There will be more available I am sure

BTW, I just got in another cart from the neo store. I am wondering how the neo store gets these like new carts. These carts are just stellar, mint (new except they are not wrapped) and a good buy in this condition. I wonder how much longer they can get SVC Chaos's, Samurai Specials and the like. It would seem these should be drying up soon. The neo store rocks....

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You were just being naive if you thought that Metal Slug in that lot was an original at the price you got. There had to be a voice in the back of your head the whole time telling you there's no way. You know what your mistake was, and you're learning a hard lesson from this. I think you should be glad you didn't get completely ripped off.

Stellaking said:
What do the bios throw up on that MS1 ?
The Unibios check isn't going to be able to tell if you have a conversion. The roms are the same.

Everyone trying to buy an original AES Metal Slug... get an MVS. You will be very happy with it. If you need the nice presentation of the AES, get a conversion with a reprint manual -- the chips are still legit.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Yeah, a test on a boot may come up as NG right ?

Like Alec says you can get conversions with erm...
An improved looking insert and a manual.

I have seen a few posted in the marketplace here, one
not so long back.

Dunno about Shawn, I know he can build houses with home carts.
Plane ticket to the neo store...

"Excuse me sir, have you ever heard of the neo geo ?
Could we take a few moments of your time and speak to you
about the love of neo ?" Have a quick look round lolz.

Agreed, I'm definitely giving the store more pennies next year.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
this situation is a total stalemate and IMO totally fair after everything is settled. If you had got that nice little bundle for that price and the MS1 was original you would have totally fleeced the guy.

However I also feel the seller was trying to pull a fast one. Didn't he say he has had all these carts for ten years? To my knowledge an MS1 conversion hasn't been possible for that long. Somebody please correct me if I'm talking arse though.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Lovergoat said:
To my knowledge an MS1 conversion hasn't been possible for that long. Somebody please correct me if I'm talking arse though.

Technically, it's been possible since 1996 but I doubt there were many people who at that time would have had the knowledge to do a conversion.

Also, with the home cart selling new for around £300 at the time, who would have paid the £800+ for an MVS kit and £100+ for the Fatal Fury 3/Samurai Shodown 3 to sac for it. It just wouldn't have made sense.

Last edited:

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Superfamifreak said:
Technically, it's been possible since 1996 but I doubt there were many people who at that time would have had the knowledge to do a conversion.

Also, with the home cart selling new for around £300 at the time, who would have paid the £800+ for an MVS kit and £100+ for the Fatal Fury 3/Samurai Shodown 3 to sac for it. It just wouldn't have made sense.

There you go, confirmed scammer if he claimed they where ten years old.

Cheers Andy.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The seller's comments following the auction regarding the cart may have been less than honest, but for the price, a non-conversion wouldn't have made sense. Of course the scammer is always in the wrong, but if you're going to use ebay you have to be at least wary enough to realize when a deal is just way too good to be true and approach it with caution. You can't shop online without a healthy sense of skepticism.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Yeah, Neo Alec I agree, but...

after communication with the seller, who told me "all carts were original" I decided to proceed. I recognize Bears point that for the price I got some really nice carts, but I was hoping that the seller was including an original MS1. I have every slug except 1, and have been waiting for a bundle that might include it. You and the rest of the forum are correct that I was way to naive in my approach.

Thanks for the reply, TLH