OK the NG.com art contest begins

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Yeah just one character, to keep up with the theme of the contest.

And I did get your sub KagouroSama, I responded back, so hopefully you gor the reply.

PS: I have now recieved one submission, so hurry up lads! I am most likely going to extend the deadline another month though.

TELL YOU WHAT GUYS- IF I GET ENOUGH SUBMISSIONS, LIKE SAY 30+, I WILL UP THE ANTE- I WILL ADD- in addition to JMKurtz's offered prize (see orig. thread)- A JPN PS2 COPY OF SAMURAI SPIRITS TENKA TO THE POT.

I am serious about this- but, however, I am only going to pony this up if I get 30+ submissions. I am being 100% serious though, cause I want this to go well. I won't puss out, if I get 30+ subs, I mail my SamSpirits Tenka for JPN PS2 to the voted winner. And, since I doubt highly I will win this contest, someone will get it. I paid $70 for this game, so c'mon boys and girls, draw and sub yo!

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Let me dig around in my stuff (in boxes since I just bought a house), I'll throw in a second place prize for the runner-up if there are at least 20 submissions.

I just want to see some great art that could potentially be used for the site here.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, my entry is done and I'll be sending it in a little later today. I can't wait for this whole thing to start. :D

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
It seems that the gauntlet has at last been thrown...
sheng20lidx9.gif

the anticipation is building!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I sent my submission in last Friday (12/28/07). Hopefully Neobuyer is getting a lot of last minute entries.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
Can't wait to see what you guys come with, good luck to all, i hope i can submit mine in last minute, i had too much to do and I'm just starting right now :crying:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The due-date has arrived... Oh, I'm so excited! I can't wait to see all the entries. I hope there were many.

Ami Tajiri said:
The due-date has arrived... Oh, I'm so excited! I can't wait to see all the entries. I hope there were many.
Me too! :D Art contests are so much fun!! You plan your attack carefuly and see how your moves fare against the bombardment of the rest of the participants! :D

I hope my submission went through alright... I sent it around 4AM (PST) (yeah, that's when I finished)

Aah! I can't wait!!! ( ^ o ^)7 Good luck everyone!!!

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Hey all,

After a WEEK of being sicker than I've been in 4 or 5 years, I am finally on my feet again, or in this case, sitting on my chair again.

I have only gotten 4 submissions so far, which isn't enough to form a contest.

So, that being said- the deadline is being pushed to February 5th.

C'mon people, let's get to work.... Here's the prize for the winner- assuming we actually have enough submissions for a contest of course.

front.jpg

Back.jpg

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
cool, thanks! thats better for me, i was about to post my sketch as an independent thread :D, but this give the chance to try to enhance it; maybe more people will take the chance and paint something

Last edited:

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
A thing that happends on some art forums (as cgtalk for instance), is, when they have a challenge you must to open a WIP thread with you progress, thats a good thing because you recieve feedback from another forum members, that makes the artwork better, also, sometimes you dont finish a paint or draw not because you dont want but because you get stuck in something, to recieve feedback makes everything flows better; and finally to recieve good feedback always is an incentive to finish something, and recieving bad you change whats wrong on it. And you have an exact idea about how many people are interested on the contest

Just a thought i had

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
oh shit. extension?
i'm entering then.
IT'S OVER.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Ami Tajiri said:
I look forward to the competition.:D

yea. crap. i just need to think of what i'm going to drawr now.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Ever think that this works against the people who actually got their entries in on-time? No offence, guys, but what was the point of having a deadline when, in fact, it's not a deadline? :)

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Dude, no one seems to really have a problem with an extension and if it encourages more entries then what's the problem? Don't be such a wet blanket.
:p

Kazuki Dash said:
Dude, no one seems to really have a problem with an extension and if it encourages more entries then what's the problem? Don't be such a wet blanket.
:p
:annoyed: I must admit, I have to side with Zero Satori on this one.... (not to be an ass) it is a bit unfair to just bump up the deadline like that... deadlines have a big impact on the quality of the works entered...

For me, I rushed my entry to get it in on time... I was up all night on the third because I found earlier that day that the deadline was WAAAAAY sooner than I was originaly told...

Now, I'm not gonna go back and redo it 'cause I have like, three books to illustrate but if I knew it was due in febuary I would have at least spent a bit more time working on my entry's legs and colors...

;) I'm not mad though, 'cause part of the fun of an art competition is seeing all the different pictures... but another part of the fun is seeing how great people are within a time crunch, 'ya know?

@M

20 Year Member
I can feel for both sides of the argument.

On one hand, Neobuyer wants to get the largest number of submissions he can, which is certainly desirable as it makes for a better contest--a deadline extension will hopefully facilitate that.

On the other, you do have a question of fairness: A deadline extension is unfair to those that get their work done on time. Unfortunately, I must say that, in my experience (both online and off), people who don't meet their first deadline, seldom meet their second, third, or umpteenth either.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ok guys, I have gotten 4, that's four submissions in over a month. That's not a contest. It's pointless. I mean, don't get me wrong, if after another month there's no more subs, I would make sure and post all 4 (or 5 if you count mine) and let her rip.

But still, it's not really much of a contest with 5 entries.

I really thought a SamSpirits Tenka would get the 20-30 entries, I am 100% willing to give it away to the winner- but come on, 4 people besides me isn't going to do it.

Hell, at least let's get 10 entrants. That's a contest.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Well... I think it'd be a good idea to let more people get in on it. What matters most to me is seeing a lot of different artists step forward with the help of a little incentive. I really like the creative work I've seen on N-G.com so far, and I'd like to see how well I fair against a variety of people working in different mediums.

As long as people who previously submitted are allowed to modify their work, I think it's all good. (That said, I'm probably just going to stick with the one I already have.)

chamo

n00b
i think timing was bad for the first half of the contest... i mean it was the holidays. but now with it being pushed to the next month things might build up ^___^

@M

20 Year Member
So, assuming the new final deadline of Feb. 5th still holds, we'll be seeing a voting thread for this contest soon, yes?

rarehero

20 Year Member
funny thing.
so i made a picture.
but i don't have a camera.
i'm going to look and see if i can borrow one or something.
:B