Talkin' 'bout King of Gladiator

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
First and foremost: Yes, I know that "King of Gladiator" is a bootleg game. It's an unauthorised hack of King of Fighters '97 and '98. I don't personally own it, and I play it at a local pizza restaurant which has had it for over a year. I don't endorse bootlegging, but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due.

"King of Gladiator" is my favourite version of the King of Fighters series for a number of reasons. Off the top of my head, it begins with having a very cool KOF'97-ripped theme of "King of Fighters as the ultimate spectator sport" and every fight takes place in front of a bunch of fans and in venues from around the world--far more exciting, in my opinion, than simply fighting in alleyways or in exotic locales without any purpose for fighting there (like a mansion, for instance). The pre-fight screens and post-fight profile pictures are similarly in-tune with this.

The character list is beyond the norm, having (to the best of my recollection) every fighter from KOF'97 plus an extended list of old versions of King, Athena, and Mai as well as '94 "original" versions of the Team Japan (Kyou, Benimaru, Daimon). The inclusion of Orochi versions of Iori and Leona are also a welcome plus, and though they are rather off-balancing to the game, they make VS-CPU fights rather fun compared to just playing regular versions.

While it's not exactly necessary, a number of the female characters get naked during some of their attacks. Why this was included is beyond me, as it doesn't change gameplay at all, but it's humourous at least to see Mai Shinranui busting out of her "there's no way that outfit would ever stay on in real life" outfit she always wears.

Characters can be selected multiple times per team, and all five buttons (A, B, C, D, and START) have different outfit colours for them. While I personally wouldn't decide to say, select Clark three times for my team, it's nice to get an alternate outfit without having to face another Clark. It's the same excitement that came with the advent of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition; no, wait, it's actually more like Super Street Fighter II. In any case, it's a welcome change which not all "official" KOF games have.

Finally, the best thing King of Gladiator has over other KOF games is SPEED. In today's day and age, going back to King of Fighters '97 speed is like the same drop between SF2 and SF2: Turbo or MK and MK2--it just feels too slow to play some of the old fighters, and King of Gladiator is still a blast to play. As simple of a change as it is, it makes a big difference; the game just isn't as boring or aggravating as it's slower official brethren, and that's a very good thing.

All of these things make "King of Gladiator" my favourite King of Fighters-related game to play--it takes all of the good stuff of the past and makes it better. Sure, it's a bootleg, but it's a damned good one. The addition of the Orochi characters throws-off gameplay balance, but not enough to start fights about, so they just add to the already-exciting cast of characters which is probably somewhere around fifty percent bigger than KOF'97. Though I enjoy how SNK's official hype-up, "Dream Match 1999," (on Sega Dreamcast) handled this same approach, there's something more exciting about playing the game on MVS. Bootleg or not, I recommend everyone give "King of Gladiator" a try at least once.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Nothing says you suck more at a team based fighter than using a team of the same damn character.

No offense.

Xeleema

n00b
(Apologies for necro-posting)

I've been hunting for more info on KoG and came across this thread and wanted to add my $0.02 (just got a multicart) .

One of the things I really dig is "shrink-mode" (press start to toggle it anytime during a match).

I'm still searching for a full list of differences/bugs between KoF '97 & KoG. (Nudity, easier special-moves, shrink-mode, and weird/broken ending-scenes are the only things I've discovered so far).

I'm still fairly new/late to the MVS/AES scene, but I have to admit this site is *the* number one resource for me.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i'm glad this got bump'd cuz i didn't know about this and thats very interesting. someday soon i hopefully want to have a candy cab of some kind... i wonder how much this boot goes for

Xeleema

n00b
Some (not all) of the yellow "#-in-1" MVS multicarts have it.
Specifically, it is on the "108-in-1" that I have.
I (over?)paid $71.00 USD (free shipping) via eBay two months (January 2017).
I have a 161-in-1 on the way as well ($75 + $13 shipping).

Xeleema

n00b
I have confirmed the 161-in-1 has KoG on it.
(I know that's pretty obvious to everyone, I'm just mentioning that here because it seems like every list of games-on-a-multicart Google returns seem to gloss-over the hacks)

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, its on the 161, i havent given any of the hack the time of day yet. Maybe ill have to give this a quick run through just to see whats its about.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I had it but it just wouldn't work on my MVS no matter how much I cleaned the cart or re-seated it. Worked on a mates so he has it. Never played it but sounds interesting.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Though I enjoy how SNK's official hype-up, "Dream Match 1999," (on Sega Dreamcast) handled this same approach, there's something more exciting about playing the game on MVS.

I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't just play KOF 98 then.