Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
For a while there Eastwood could do no wrong. Then we got Jersey Boys and 15:17 to Paris.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
For a while there Eastwood could do no wrong. Then we got Jersey Boys and 15:17 to Paris.

And the performance art masterpiece, "Old Man Yells at Chair".

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

15:17 to Paris in particular was a complete trainwreck of a movie. How the mighty have fallen.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
what?! Wow. I am kind of disappointed in you.

If one really likes Woody Allen movies, I can't imagine how one can like Irrational Man, Magic in the Moonlight or Cafe Society. I mean, Jessy Eisenberg? C'mon... the last Allen reincarnation I kind of liked, was Josh Brolin, the last of his films that touched me, was Sweet and Lowdown. But that was Sean Penn, not Jason Biggs. Of course, a bad Woody Allen film is still better than the best works of many directors and those titles I mentioned above, remain interesting failures, but I'd still argue: we need less Allen, too.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If one really likes Woody Allen movies, I can't imagine how one can like Irrational Man, Magic in the Moonlight or Cafe Society. I mean, Jessy Eisenberg? C'mon... the last Allen reincarnation I kind of liked, was Josh Brolin, the last of his films that touched me, was Sweet and Lowdown. But that was Sean Penn, not Jason Biggs. Of course, a bad Woody Allen film is still better than the best works of many directors and those titles I mentioned above, remain interesting failures, but I'd still argue: we need less Allen, too.

If you just mean his last few movies, then sure. The guy makes like 2 movies a year and has one of the most prolific filmographies.

Vickie Christina Barcelona was great. I enjoyed Midnight in Paris. And his early work is phenomenal (Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask, bananas, sleeper, life and death, and Annie Hall). Sweet and Lowdown is a really good documentary of sorts as well, and I can’t imagine someone watching it and not remembering Django Reinhardt like Emmitt did.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
new halloween movie coming out. a sequel to the first movie. really looking forward to this. anyone a halloween fan?.

Not a big Halloween guy. The first one is a damn near perfect horror movie and the second one's pretty good too but the rest are somewhere between bad and unwatchable and Michael Myers never really did it for me. Hopefully this one's good. They're on the right track pretending all of that later stupid shit never happened.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Never watched Halloween but this looks good.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sweet and Lowdown is a really good documentary of sorts as well, and I can’t imagine someone watching it and not remembering Django Reinhardt like Emmitt did.

...or remembering how Allen likes to watch movies himself, i.e. watching trains go by, which no one understands. Yeah, this fake biopic can touch your soft side easily and would make for a great thread: your favorite Woody Allen film moment. The coke sneeze in Annie Hall or the short talk he has as Sandy Bates with his former school friend, who is a taxi driver now and a real Travis Bickle spoof, too, are among my favorites. And yeah, lol at Bananas for emancipating your underwear ;).

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not a big Halloween guy. The first one is a damn near perfect horror movie and the second one's pretty good too but the rest are somewhere between bad and unwatchable and Michael Myers never really did it for me. Hopefully this one's good. They're on the right track pretending all of that later stupid shit never happened.

1 and 2 are exceptional. I like 4 as I owned an original tape growing up and watched it a lot.

I’m really looking forward to the new Halloween, but I’ll be honest, I have my doubts they’ll be able to pull it off. Myers looks great though. It really needs Donald Pleasence.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
That's literally what they did over a decade ago with H20, which while not perfect, is about on par with 2 and 3 quality-wise.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Jamie Lee Curtis is good in it and it's significantly better than 4-6 and everything after it but it's not even in the same zip code as 1+2 and suffers from post-Scream irony/genre-savvy overload (Kevin Williamson did write it). Fuck, how is that movie twenty years old?

1 and 2 are exceptional. I like 4 as I owned an original tape growing up and watched it a lot.

I’m really looking forward to the new Halloween, but I’ll be honest, I have my doubts they’ll be able to pull it off. Myers looks great though. It really needs Donald Pleasence.

I think everyone has a movie like that that's bad but you love it anyway because you watched it way too many times at a critical time in your life. I think mine is Hellraiser 4.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Strangers: Prey at Night - awful title aside, not bad. I'm a big fan of the first Strangers- it's written so well, it maintains tension and dread, feels plausible, and it does a couple things that are unique in that it never has the villains take off their masks, and they flat out have no reason for doing what they're doing.

The new one captures a decent amount of what the original did well, mainly creating a good sense of dread, but it takes too many cues from 80's horror, of all things (the first one actively avoids doing that), and it has some nice callbacks to the original (I mean aside from the obvious, the three bad guys), but there are several things that really don't work as well. The biggest is how dumb the protagonists are. All four make terrible decisions, repeatedly. For being reliant on realism a lot of the time, having the characters be so dumb on a movie-logic level is annoying.

The ending also is a little too out there. It has entertainment value, but it's dumb, frankly, and it's maybe the worst example of the movie trying too hard to be like Halloween instead of The Strangers.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Unsane - pretty decent, though not as good as Side Effects. Soderbergh likes that topic, apparently. The story ends up being more straightforward than I expected, though it does a good job with that simpler story. The premise itself is completely ridiculous, though, even for a movie. Get past that and it's fine.

Rewatched Kill List - overrated. The general experience of watching it is alright, especially the first time, since the sense of disorientation is so strong and the characters get more development than you'd expect. But the ending is so bad and so little actually makes any sense when you stop and think about it, really hurts the film.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Zelig is still my favourite woody allen film, had me in hysterics first time i watched it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
watched tom cruise's all the right moves for the first time. had a bit of a rocky vibe to it. won't be watching it again any time soon, but a good early 80' movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Jurassic World 2 - there was a guy with a Ted Levine (Buffalo Bill)-esque voice, and the entire time I was wondering, man who the fuck is this second-rate Levine voice guy? To my astonishment, it turned out the actor was Ted Levine. Goddamn I just now checked wiki and it turns out he's 60 and not closer to 70, which is how old I thought the actor was in the movie. Looking rough.

As for the film it was stupid as shit and lacked all the blockbuster charm of the first Jurassic World.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I watched Serial Mom by John Waters. It's a great bad movie for a night with friends.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
watched tom cruise's all the right moves for the first time. had a bit of a rocky vibe to it. won't be watching it again any time soon, but a good early 80' movie.

Early Hollywood effort from Jan de Bont and he delivers. The very first shot of the factory has already more depth, than any current CG frame.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watched Serial Mom by John Waters. It's a great bad movie for a night with friends.

Awesome movie. I think that and Cry Baby are my favorite Waters films.

Walking Out- Estranged son and father go moose hunting and shit goes real bad. Recommended.

Dean- Written, directed by and staring Demitri Martin. Not great but charming and fairly realistic.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:D (dinner time!)
SPLIT SECOND.
with rutger hauer. 09/10 clean.
has the right amount of fuckupery, good plot, and a dystopian atmosphere.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Yeah Serial Mom is great. I read somewhere that the studio wouldn't let Kathleen Turner kill the fly in the beginning of the movie, so Waters hired some guy to create a splattered dead fly with some food coloring and paste lol.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I agree with Serial Mom... I enjoyed the goofiness and plot....

Kathleen Turner sure did let herself go after that...

xROTx

PS. I just watched Southpaw again... I forgot how much I enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaals perfomance...

EDIT. 50cents is one shitty actor...