Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Ok, this explains a lot: we aren’t talking about the same movie.

Chalk it up to Amazon misprint.
4ca2a0006fa16c8f9313c2f82d1c133f.jpg

Oh ok, yeah Kickboxer just didn't have the production value of the original OUTIC. The fights were really brutal though, especially that end fight against Chang Shan then later Yuen Wah. You should check out Iceman Cometh if you haven't seen it already, not the crappy Donnie Yen version but the one with Biao, Yuen Wah, & Maggie Cheung.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Alita: Battle Angel - I had no idea this was even released until a few hours ago. I had no expectations but it really surprised me. Robert Rodriguez directed but it still really felt like a James Cameron film. The way the animators made Alita look, wow, they knocked it out of the park. The actress was fantastic as well. The only downside is the movie is not self-contained and will require a sequel(s?) to finish the story. Crazy how I remember this being announced in 2003 when I was in 9th grade.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Widows - Good cast & well acted but its slow & huge mess.

Green Book - Wife & I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the best films we have seen in awhile.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Beyond the Black Rainbow
This was the first movie from Panos Cosmatos, who also directed Mandy. Quick synopsis, a young woman is kept in a research lab by a doctor, and shows some psychic abilities. This movie went above and beyond the realm of psychedelic exploration, and explored a lot of themes from 1980s movies like Altered States, Blue Sunshine, and the sets come off a bit Kubrickian (but that’s as Kubrick as it gets, don’t expect too much). If you liked Mandy as I did, then you will really enjoy Black Rainbow.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Glad you enjoyed it. Panos is a director to watch.

I watched BTBR on shrooms. I didn’t know wtf was going on...

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I put Beyond the Black Rainbow in the same buckets as It Follows, Under the Skin, and A Girl Walks Home Along at Night for moody, uniquely styled horror / sci-fi of the 2010s.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
That moment when you realise that the girl with the "nice dumper" in Halloween (2007) is the 5 year old Jenny from Forrest Gump.

I made the mistake of watching this movie during a wind storm, which causes all sorts of noise that take your focus off watching a movie. As a result, i think I didn't end up watching the last ten minutes as, instead, I was watching my fence blow down. I then was also going to watch the original Halloween, but the tape was bad. I imagine that there wasn't as much lead up and character building in the original. And the sequel Halloween II was interesting but not quite as good. At least in this film series, Michael Myers is just a man. OH and I loved how the sequel had "Mr Weird" Weird Al Yankovic ask if he (Malcolm McDowell's character) was talking about Michael Myers from Austin Powers.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Before or after becoming a father?

I had a friend living with us at the time so it would’ve been before my son was born. My wife may have been pregnant. Why?

We doubled up with John Woo’s Hard Boiled. All those bullets turned the TV into a NYE fireworks display.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I had a friend living with us at the time so it would’ve been before my son was born. My wife may have been pregnant. Why?

We doubled up with John Woo’s Hard Boiled. All those bullets turned the TV into a NYE fireworks display.

Just trying to paint a picture

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Those African posters are next level!

Reminds me of the spectrum of emotions expressed by a west African man who I tried to explain Ghana 2016 to. It started with such excitement and then then pride as he began watching it on my phone....

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Reminds me of the spectrum of emotions expressed by a west African man who I tried to explain Ghana 2016 to. It started with such excitement and then then pride as he began watching it on my phone....

Ghana 2016 embodies these posters. Some of them are fantastic, especially the horror and action films. Must be all the Jenkem they’re huffing.

http://www.deadlypreygallery.com

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
What happened to Monday.
Plot hole mania but overall an ok flick to watch. Conceptually they shoild have thought things through a bit more though because instead of going for a quasi-intelligent, believable story with an actual meaningful message, they decided to cater to the masses who prefer dumb action sequences. But that's more my own gripe with the movie rather than it being a fault of the actual movie itself.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Revenge
Three married frenchmen go on a hunting trip in Algeria and end up being the hunted. It’s like Predator with a great body and tits and ass, hallucinating on peyote, hunting a group of shitheads in the desert. Not sure if it’s a 2 or a 4 out of 5. Production value was great.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Revenge
Three married frenchmen go on a hunting trip in Algeria and end up being the hunted. It’s like Predator with a great body and tits and ass, hallucinating on peyote, hunting a group of shitheads in the desert. Not sure if it’s a 2 or a 4 out of 5. Production value was great.

I’ve had this in the To Watch Pile for a quite some time but haven’t bothered with it. I enjoy revenge films, but this seemed like just another I Spit on Your Grave, feminist feature, or is it something more? I’m betting there is nasty rape and cock and ball torture, amirite?

Go and watch Blue Ruin!