Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
"Battle beyond the Stars"

Roger Corman re-makes Seven Samurai/Magnficent 7 but while trying to be Star Wars. For the money they had... some of the effects are commendable... others are laughable. So bad it's.... boring.

I love a good B movie, but this one is lacking something.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
"Battle beyond the Stars"

Roger Corman re-makes Seven Samurai/Magnficent 7 but while trying to be Star Wars. For the money they had... some of the effects are commendable... others are laughable. So bad it's.... boring.

I love a good B movie, but this one is lacking something.

I went to the cinema to see this back when it was released, i'd have been around 13, not a good film but i remember being very impressed with sybil danning.
She must be the wrong side of 60 now if she's still around.

MV5BNDgwOGQ0ZGYtMjE4MC00MWNiLThhOTUtZjNmYjk3ZjliNjI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM1MjQzNTk@._V1_.jpg

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Winchester

It starts off ok. I like the actor playing the main character. I forget his name but he sort of reminds me of a young Bill Murray. Nothing but cheap jump scares once he gets to the manor. Helen Mirren does a decent job, the rest of the cast sucks. Some annoying recently widowed bitch and her ginger kid add nothing of value. Tucker from the Insidious movies has a small scene in which he displays a ridiculous gruff accent. Not that it was very engaging to begin with, but it falls apart during the last third or so. SF earthquake, some twink ghost villain, blah blah. 3 out of 10.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Winchester

It starts off ok. I like the actor playing the main character. I forget his name but he sort of reminds me of a young Bill Murray. Nothing but cheap jump scares once he gets to the manor. Helen Mirren does a decent job, the rest of the cast sucks. Some annoying recently widowed bitch and her ginger kid add nothing of value. Tucker from the Insidious movies has a small scene in which he displays a ridiculous gruff accent. Not that it was very engaging to begin with, but it falls apart during the last third or so. SF earthquake, some twink ghost villain, blah blah. 3 out of 10.

i hated it. besides the shitty pacing, i haven't seen a movie that relied on jump scares as much as this one for over ten years.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I went to the cinema to see this back when it was released, i'd have been around 13, not a good film but i remember being very impressed with sybil danning.

View attachment 51215

Is she wearing breadsticks?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

View attachment 51215
I remember the ship in that movie was reused in another movie. Space Raiders I think? Star Raiders? Think it had the kid from Flight of the Navigator.

I remember because it looked like a pair of tits.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Rewatched Ip Man 3 and finally got to see the Thai sports comedy The Iron Ladies. IL's pretty funny so I would totally recommend it. Also, I think Donnie Yen's fight vs. Zhang Jin is the best 1 on 1 battle of the trilogy.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Rewatched Ip Man 3 and finally got to see the Thai sports comedy The Iron Ladies. IL's pretty funny so I would totally recommend it. Also, I think Donnie Yen's fight vs. Zhang Jin is the best 1 on 1 battle of the trilogy.

i remember when everyone loved donnie yen a few years ago. he doesn't get mentioned much these days.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I watched Nightcrawler today. I liked it. It kind of reminded me of another Jake Gyllenhaal movie; Zodiac. Different subjects, but similar feel. Gyllenhaal was good in this; I really disliked his character by the end and disliked that he didn't receive any sort of punishment. He did a lot of awful things, but somehow the way he exploited his "interns" employees stood out to me for some reason. Bill Paxton is in this too and is good (I know he has lots of fans around here).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I watched Nightcrawler today. I liked it. It kind of reminded me of another Jake Gyllenhaal movie; Zodiac. Different subjects, but similar feel. Gyllenhaal was good in this; I really disliked his character by the end and disliked that he didn't receive any sort of punishment. He did a lot of awful things, but somehow the way he exploited his "interns" employees stood out to me for some reason. Bill Paxton is in this too and is good (I know he has lots of fans around here).

Both of those are great movies.

I watched Freshly Dressed on Netflix, which was pretty good. It's a documentary about the evolution of "streetwear" and how kids in the hood influenced hip-hop fashion, and how that became a commodity. It kind of stopped at the early / mid-2000s when every rapper had their own fashion label, which tanked the market. For a 2015 movie, it could have covered the surge from Asia and Japan like BAPE, and the rise of the worst brand around today, Supreme.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
i remember when everyone loved donnie yen a few years ago. he doesn't get mentioned much these days.

Yeah, he finally gets a prominent role in a really big American movie and then his star goes nowhere. And he was good in Rogue One, too, not like he bombed. Sort of seems like his comfort zone is staying with Asian cinema, he's still really active there, and I can't help but think he could get more American film roles if he wanted to. He's charismatic as hell if maybe a little limited in range.

Finally saw Infinity War. Fun to watch, the constant action and character interactions carried it, but nowhere near as good a movie as Black Panther or even Thor: Ragnarok. 3/4 of the characters felt wasted, there really is such a thing as too much.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finally saw Infinity War. Fun to watch, the constant action and character interactions carried it, but nowhere near as good a movie as Black Panther or even Thor: Ragnarok. 3/4 of the characters felt wasted, there really is such a thing as too much.

Cant disagree about Infinity War. It did feel a little bloated. I really did like Black Panther, but I just didn't see it as amazing like everyone else. Ragnarok tho, that was a great time. I love Taika Waititi's stuff, and he did not disappoint. His humor was great in it. And as much as I personally think it sucks that James Gunn won't be doing Guardians 3 - if anything else, they could get Taika to take over.

Speaking of Taika Waititi:

I rewatched What We Do in the Shadows again recently, and it's just as great as always. I can't wait for We're Wolves, or the Wellington TV show he's gonna do.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Nighcrawler was great! So was Zodiac. Jake Gyllenhaal is very underrated. I’ve been a fan ever since Donnie Darko.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
On the JG tip, I watched Nocturnal Animals recently, shit is fucked up.

Happy Death Day- It was on cable at like 3am and I figured wth, turned out better than expected and actually kind of funny. Still shit though and super predictable.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Cant disagree about Infinity War. It did feel a little bloated. I really did like Black Panther, but I just didn't see it as amazing like everyone else. Ragnarok tho, that was a great time. I love Taika Waititi's stuff, and he did not disappoint. His humor was great in it. And as much as I personally think it sucks that James Gunn won't be doing Guardians 3 - if anything else, they could get Taika to take over.

Speaking of Taika Waititi:

I rewatched What We Do in the Shadows again recently, and it's just as great as always. I can't wait for We're Wolves, or the Wellington TV show he's gonna do.

Ragnarok is one of my two favorite MCU movies, maybe first, with The Winter Soldier being the only other one I consider just really, really good. It made me think the same thing, especially after not really caring for GotG 2- Waititi may have the Guardians template down better than Gunn.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
On the JG tip, I watched Nocturnal Animals recently, shit is fucked up.

And how long did that take ya to figure out that it was fucked up? I'd say about 5 seconds into the intro was about it for me...

Happy Death Day- It was on cable at like 3am and I figured wth, turned out better than expected and actually kind of funny. Still shit though and super predictable.

I'd agree. Was better than expecting and somewhat amusing. Not great, but it's decent entertainment for what it's worth.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
the THING, by john carpenter.
09/10.
disturbing.
at least the film featured a commodore PET as a CHESSMASTER!
shame kurt russel nuked it with a drink because it finally beat him. :D

Ip Man

15 Year Member
upgrade

10/10 fucking epic!. the best movie i've seen since the john wick films. it was like a cross between john wick and blade runner.

mostly unrecognisable cast but they all did a fantastic job. the main guy reminds me a lot of tom hardy in many ways, which is a good thing.

fantastic story similar to the story of the first john wick movie but based in the future, and was paced very well to the point where i thought i was fifteen minutes in but it turned out it was forty minutes. and it kept me interested all the way through trying to figure out what was going to happen next.

the whole movie was a pleasant surprise with great action that rivals john wicks fight choreography with a game of thrones (wow! i was not expecting that) ending which is one of the best endings i've ever seen.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
upgrade

10/10 fucking epic!. the best movie i've seen since the john wick films. it was like a cross between john wick and blade runner.

mostly unrecognisable cast but they all did a fantastic job. the main guy reminds me a lot of tom hardy in many ways, which is a good thing.

fantastic story similar to the story of the first john wick movie but based in the future, and was paced very well to the point where i thought i was fifteen minutes in but it turned out it was forty minutes. and it kept me interested all the way through trying to figure out what was going to happen next.

the whole movie was a pleasant surprise with great action that rivals john wicks fight choreography with a game of thrones (wow! i was not expecting that) ending which is one of the best endings i've ever seen.

Looks good thanks. I remember him in The Invitation and he look/act just like Tom Hardy. Also he was great in Devil. Was this on netflix or theater?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Looks good thanks. I remember him in The Invitation and he look/act just like Tom Hardy. Also he was great in Devil. Was this on netflix or theater?

i watched it at my sisters. my brother in law has a device that lets him watch movies that's still in theatre.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Upgrade was surprisingly entertaining. Fuckin great fight scenes. Brutal, yet they fit the story. It didn't last long in theaters as no one went and saw it so I imagine it ought to be on dvd/netflix soon.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Toshiro Mifune in... Yojimbo and Sanjuro....

GREAT FILMS! They never get old...

xROTx

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I had to watch Rampage at a friend's birthday party last night. It was terrible. There was one good joke, but it was in the trailer, so I had already seen it. Everything else is stupid and/or doesn't even make an attempt to sound like it's science is correct.