Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Kidnap (2017)

Supermom Halle Berry vs. Hillbilly kidnappers. There's only ever going to be one winner.

The film was completed in 2014 but only released 3 years later. Maybe they should have rather kept this one on the shelf.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interview with the Vampire

It's hard to overstate how campy / gay this movie is. As well as how bad it is. The story isn't compelling at all, the characters are unlikeable, the best acting comes from 12 year old Kyrstin Dunst FFS, the airbrushed vein makeup is way too prominent, blah blah. I fell asleep twice.

But the book it's based on launched Anne Rice's career, right? So I'm assuming the book is equally (or even more) homoerotic but is somehow more compelling.

Go watch Leon now, and let’s talk about the production value of Leon vs Interview, and how incredible Leon is as a timeless classic.

Interview came out 2 years later in 1994 and looks like crap compared to Leon.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Go watch Leon now, and let’s talk about the production value of Leon vs Interview, and how incredible Leon is as a timeless classic.

Interview came out 2 years later in 1994 and looks like crap compared to Leon.

LOL and 1/5th the budget of Interview. Besson is hit or miss IMO, but I'd watch a Besson vampire movie.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The book is garbage, too. An ode to being a movie star, like forever young and immortal on the silver screen, loving the dark and despising the sunlight, like, eh, a movie projector etc. There's also the drama of Shirley Temple somewhere along those lines. Well, in a nutshell: camp.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Hereditary

it was alright but not great. i had big hopes for this movie considering it was made by the same people who made The Witch which was one the most original and disturbing movies i have ever seen. but hereditary was very slow and predictable with things we've seen in many other movies in the same genre before it.

the acting was good for the most part until towards the end ware it got over the top and unnecessary and sometimes comical. over all a good movie to watch once because it does keep you interested to see what happens next, but not worth the hype. again, it doesn't do anything we haven't seen many times before.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Hereditary

it was alright but not great. i had big hopes for this movie considering it was made by the same people who made The Witch which was one the most original and disturbing movies i have ever seen. but hereditary was very slow and predictable with things we've seen in many other movies in the same genre before it.

the acting was good for the most part until towards the end ware it got over the top and unnecessary and sometimes comical. over all a good movie to watch once because it does keep you interested to see what happens next, but not worth the hype. again, it doesn't do anything we haven't seen many times before.

Those two movies only share an executive producer/distributor. The writer/director of Hereditary is a first-timer.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Those two movies only share an executive producer/distributor. The writer/director of Hereditary is a first-timer.

i see. but they did advertise it heavily with "from the people who brought you The Witch".

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
i see. but they did advertise it heavily with "from the people who brought you The Witch".

It’s produced by A24 films, they funded it - Green Room, It Comes at Night, Ex Machina, The VVitch. They’re definitely a production house to watch out for. It’s a name that should grab your attention.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Originally posted October 4, 2010:

The Social Network

Amazing that a movie like this can be so engaging and compelling. No one dies, there is no romance and there are no obvious 'everyman' themes, but I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that was so human. The actors are all superb, the pacing is perfect, the intrigue is fascinating and the questions posed about our identity as a species are all expertly posed with subtle wit and a poised sense of intuition. The movie is about the creation of Facebook and of exactly who is entitled to what in that monstrous feat, but this movie is really about the inadequacies people feel about themselves and what they feel they need in order to get a sense fo fulfillment. This drives the movie, and is resident in every single character. At the end of the day, Facebook gives people something easy and instant access to that fulfillment. That is not so much about the quality of Facebook as an indispensible service but more about the vulnerability of human beings and how it affects their decisions. I welcome movies like this that ask relevant questions about the modern world and whether or not people are mature enough to responsibly play with all the new toys they've been given in the last twenty years.

Eisenberg delivers a tour de force performance as Mark Zuckerberg. I've never seen an actor flat out dominate a scene with his emotions the way Eisenberg does here. His stern, perpetually irritated expressions lend a sense of arrogant impatience to everything he does, and yet there's a vulnerability in his portrayal of the Facebook mogul: without going into great detail about it, you can tell Zuckerberg (as portrayed in this film) is an unfulfilled person, someone seeking something he doesn't know how to get even though he has all the talent and ability in the world. There's a bit of self loathing in there, which he tries to eliminiate through accomplishments. The movie communicates the idea that he's unhappy with himself and the only way he can feel 'whole' is to accomplish something in his own way, by his own rules and without honoring or adhering the social mores of the times. He wants to walk his own path and be accepted and appreciated, but even when he achieves that and can casually give 65 million dollars away in a settlement as though he's discarding pocket lint, there is still a longing inside him. For all the character's outward insensitivity, he's a remarkably sensitive person. Eisenberg perfectly nails that, and never more poignantly than at the prelude to the officewide celebration of Facebook hitting 1,000,000 users; at a time when he should be elated, he's more frustrated than ever and obviously feeling guilty over what's about to happen between him and founding partner Eduardo Saverin (played by Andrew Garfield with the perfect amount of frustration and vulnerability.) The movie establishes that Zuckerberg could be very happy if only he would let himself be.

The other amazing performance in the film is Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker, the co-founder of Napster who, according to this movie, weasled his way into Facebook's hierarchy. He plays Parker, but he may as well be playing the devil with the way he insinuates himself into Zuckerberg's life. The film portrays Parker as a predator, preying on the weakness of others and inwardly gloating over every personal victory he takes from them. He's really shown, in this film, to be a guy lacking any real talent other than taking advantage of others, and that makes such a person all the more dangerous and realistic: we all know that many successful people are exactly like Parker, opportunists who cash in without actually doing anything substantial. True, he opened doors for Zuckerberg, but those doors would have opened without Parker's influence. But Zuckerberg is so dazzled by Parker's magic man sales pitch that he can't hep but be beguiled: Parker has, in Zuckerberg's mind, already achieved what he wants for himself. He's like a god to him at one point in the movie.

The irony on Timberlake, an artist in the music industry, protraying Parker as a deceptive scumbag and a thief of intellectual properties, is not lost on me. I got the sense that this was an artist striking back at an art leech. Parker, at one point, boasts that even though Napster lost the law suit, they won the battle against the record labels: "You want to buy a Tower Records?" he sardonically asks Saverin after a lunch meeting that has Saverin frustrated and Parker, already the victor, licking his chops. Parker claims to have assassinated the recording industry even though he lost the lawsuit. Is this the recording industry getting its revenge on Parker?

David Fincher has created an excellent film, definitely the years best movie in my opinion.

5 out of 5.

I just saw The Social Network for the first time, searched in this thread and your post came up. Great review, Taiso. I didn't think the movie itself was very interesting - the old themes of friendships and jealousy and betrayal are all there, it just wasn't a very interesting story to me. But everything you wrote is spot on.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
It’s produced by A24 films, they funded it - Green Room, It Comes at Night, Ex Machina, The VVitch. They’re definitely a production house to watch out for. It’s a name that should grab your attention.

Don't forget It Follows and Under the Skin - my two of my favorite horror movies of the decade so far.

100proof

10 Year Member

A24 has put out some of the best genre movies of the last five years without question and I pay attention whenever I see their logo in front of a trailer. That said, you should never trust when a trailer says "From the makers of..." as it's almost always a producer (who generally has fuck-all to do with how a movie turns out beyond signing checks).

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A24 has put out some of the best genre movies of the last five years without question and I pay attention whenever I see their logo in front of a trailer. That said, you should never trust when a trailer says "From the makers of..." as it's almost always a producer (who generally has fuck-all to do with how a movie turns out beyond signing checks).

Well said.

Don't forget It Follows and Under the Skin - my two of my favorite horror movies of the decade so far.

Oh, totally, I just rattled off the ones I could remember. It Follows was awesome and Under the Skin was just dark AF!

Spoiler:
the whole scene were the father gets washed away and there’s a quick scene in the dark with baby crying on the beach made with feel VERY uncomfortable... sad...

Ip Man

15 Year Member
the rings 2017

was shit. the first movie in the series is one of my favourite horror movies ever. but every thing that came after it was shit and the rings 2017 is by far the worst.

it's more about a bunch of pretty people in relationships and how they feel about each other rather than a continuation of the ring story.

the acting is bad and the whole movie is predictable with lots of jump scares.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Robin Williams: Inside My Mind- Very well done doc, funny, touching, depressing etc.

Baby Driver- Well Edgar Wright knocked it out of the park. It has all the manic energy of Scott Pilgrim and the insanity of Hot Fuzz. The soundtrack while great does become a bit annoying at times but overall it works. My only other nitpick the the stuff with the gf seemed rushed and a little too cutesy but again it works.

Doctor Strange- Had moderately high hopes but it turns into basically another Marvel CG bonanza after the initial character development, I also thought the comedy was pretty out of place for the most part but again it's Marvel.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Doctor Strange- Had moderately high hopes but it turns into basically another Marvel CG bonanza after the initial character development, I also thought the comedy was pretty out of place for the most part but again it's Marvel.

I thought they did a good job translating Ditko's art into VFX.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They did but it just got overwhelming, less is more. I also think that as far as the Dr. himself it's one of the more accurate characters aesthetically especially once he got the cape.

100proof

10 Year Member
They did but it just got overwhelming, less is more. I also think that as far as the Dr. himself it's one of the more accurate characters aesthetically especially once he got the cape.

The way they did the runic sparkler magic was pretty neat but I thought all of the Inception-y parts were boring and didn't really convey anything about the character or make for good action sequences.

I think most peoples' complaints were that it was a carbon copy of Iron Man's story. Well, that and the internet whiners complained about Tilda Swinton playing an Asian character even though Tilda Swinton is a treasure and had it been played by an Asian person, they would've just complained that he was reinforcing a negative stereotype or some other horseshit.

fake

15 Year Member
Agreed that Dr. Strange's effects are too intense. It gets to a point where you can focus on any part of the frame. The composition becomes mush.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Traffik - Paula Patton made it mostly watchable, but takes itself WAY too seriously, so much so that the last half-hour or so is just shockingly bad. Decent first two acts, solid approach to the home invasion thriller, then it just gets preachy and annoying. Predictable, too.

Some of the characters were fucking horrible, also. The best-friend guy was probably the least likable character I've seen in a movie in a long time, and he wasn't believable in the slightest. He actively hurt the movie whenever he was onscreen. And the sheriff character, also awful.

Bad movie, come to think of it.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Watched ghost stories earlier, it's a new short story compilation starring martin freeman and paul whitehouse.
It's a little average i thought, all 3 of the stories are good, but nothing i've not seen before, and there's an overall arc that links them all, but ultimately a little disappointed with the reveal at the end.
Kinda made me want to watch the vignette from VHS 2 "safe haven", now that's how you do a short.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
the rings 2017

was shit. the first movie in the series is one of my favourite horror movies ever. but every thing that came after it was shit and the rings 2017 is by far the worst.

it's more about a bunch of pretty people in relationships and how they feel about each other rather than a continuation of the ring story.

the acting is bad and the whole movie is predictable with lots of jump scares.

I agree wholeheartedly. I hated Rings. What a disappointment...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think most peoples' complaints were that it was a carbon copy of Iron Man's story. Well, that and the internet whiners complained about Tilda Swinton playing an Asian character even though Tilda Swinton is a treasure and had it been played by an Asian person, they would've just complained that he was reinforcing a negative stereotype or some other horseshit.

It is 100%, one hundred percent pandering to the Chinese market - no, the Chinese government. Tibet is off-limits and that movie would have never got released here if the Ancient One was faithful to the comics and Disney would have missed out on all the money here.

For a couple years now there have been slight modifications to movies solely to pander to the CCP and get access into the market here. One example off the top of my head is in that Sandler video game movie, Pixels. In the beginning when the aliens destroyed world landmarks, documents got released that the Great Wall could not be destroyed. Who knows what else changes in movies and what steps are taken just so a movie can come out here.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Dr Strange's special effects are not near as impressive on most home setups as well. Screen bending stuff doesn't really strike awe in a casual living room.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Tibet is off-limits and that movie would have never got released here...

Guess that means no Twin Peaks either... bummer. Surefire cure for a hangover, Sage: You take a glass of nearly frozen, unstrained tomato juice, you plop a couple of oysters in there, you drink it down. Breathe deeply. Next you take a mound -- and I mean a mound -- of sweetbreads, sauté then with some chestnuts and Canadian bacon. Finally, biscuits. Big biscuits. Smothered in gravy. Now here’s where it gets tricky: You’re gonna need some anchovies...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It is 100%, one hundred percent pandering to the Chinese market - no, the Chinese government. Tibet is off-limits and that movie would have never got released here if the Ancient One was faithful to the comics and Disney would have missed out on all the money here.

For a couple years now there have been slight modifications to movies solely to pander to the CCP and get access into the market here. One example off the top of my head is in that Sandler video game movie, Pixels. In the beginning when the aliens destroyed world landmarks, documents got released that the Great Wall could not be destroyed. Who knows what else changes in movies and what steps are taken just so a movie can come out here.

I'm not terribly fond of the China pandering that goes on in movies in the last half dozen or so years. And it just keeps getting more and more frequent. And I'm just talking about the super obvious stuff like there being Chinese characters in the movie for no real reason. Or just involving China in some part of the story again, for no real good story reason. All stuff I'm guessing is to appeal to the Chinese market.

It's just as bad as shitty, obvious product placement imo...