Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yeah but in wolverine origins the hero meets an elderly couple whose son died and he fits the dead son's clothes and motorcycle perfectly and then the old folks get killed and that in turn gives the viewer the feels

wolverine origins is the best guilty pleasure film ever

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Oh yeah...Logan and Deadpool...those were both great for films...I forgot about those.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
eh different studios tho

these marvel-disney superhero films are so cookie cutter, by the book that there's no interest while watching them

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ugh...

Come on man. Logan was The Last of Us, but then had annoying kids.

Deadpool is an interesting situation. It exists because Reynolds played a Deadpool that all the fans wish never existed, In WO. And it wasn’t like he was at fault as much as the movie direction and the writing was. Reynolds was still just playing his role from Blade 3.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Last proper great superhero movie was Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2
That Batman trilogy staring Bale was overrated poop.
I thought Deadpool was crap too.
I liked Ang Lee's take on Hulk
erm...
Yeah

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I liked Whedon's first Avengers movie. The second was a disaster, though. The third one, bizarrely titled Captain America, had some interesting aspects, which is poor for its 147 minutes length. My favorites for the title of "last proper great superhero movie" are Singers first two X-Men flicks. The homosexual everyday life references are top notch.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ugh...

Come on man. Logan was The Last of Us, but then had annoying kids.

Deadpool is an interesting situation. It exists because Reynolds played a Deadpool that all the fans wish never existed, In WO. And it wasn’t like he was at fault as much as the movie direction and the writing was. Reynolds was still just playing his role from Blade 3.

Last proper great superhero movie was Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2
That Batman trilogy staring Bale was overrated poop.
I thought Deadpool was crap too.
I liked Ang Lee's take on Hulk
erm...
Yeah

I liked Whedon's first Avengers movie. The second was a disaster, though. The third one, bizarrely titled Captain America, had some interesting aspects, which is poor for its 147 minutes length. My favorites for the title of "last proper great superhero movie" are Singers first two X-Men flicks. The homosexual everyday life references are top notch.

Exactly...what I'm seeing here is "different strokes for different folks". I agree/disagree with many of these statements.

There really is no right/wrong answer to this because art is subjective.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Get Out- This was pretty hyped up and mostly lived up to it. I can see why so many people in the media were preoccupied by the whole race issue but once it gets going that really takes a back seat to the insanity of the situation.

Split- I didn't think M. Night had it in him. Macavoy did a pretty damn good job. The scene where he's dancing in the kids room was seriously disturbing. Interested to see if MNS actually does anything more with the Unbreakable tie-in.

They were both surprisingly good. Not great but it's good to see original stuff still trickling out to major audiences. I'd put both in the same category as It Follows and Don't Breath.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Fox Marvel isn't perfect but it's better than MCU. New Mutants looks really interesting, Thor looks like the usual.

Honestly, I'd much rather watch a DC movie than MCU at this point. I expect it to be heavily flawed, but I'm looking forward more to Justice League than Infinity War.

Watched The Return of the Living Dead - I hadn't actually watched it straight through in a really long time. Still pretty fantastic. Linnea Quigley is naked for most of her screen time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Love ROTLD.

If you watch the interview with her in the special features she gets pretty in depth on the thing she had to wear to cover her vag, it's pretty funny.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
New Mutants looks really interesting

new mutants was one my favourite comic book series at one point. it was meant to bring the xmen back to it's roots by making the protagonist a small group of teenage mutants dealing with teenage problems, which it pretty much was that.

but this trailer for the movie looks like a sequel to a saw movie.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I have to say, I forgot about the XMen Origins movies which I think are excellent (maybe not the last one so much), and the other comicbook character based film, Dredd, when I took the time to watch it an allowed myself to enjoy it, I did so thoroughly. Quite minimalistic. A bIg shame 2000ad is not popular enough to warrant film adaptations.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Beguiled 2017 -Really good cast & they seem to do the part right but there was really nothing for them to do. Its a like a dude who cant stop laughing trying to tell a joke & you start getting curious why he is laughing. You start laughing even & when he finally tells the joke, your like ohhh ok.

The Dark Tower - Never read the books but the cast seem great. Movie is really short 90minutes & felt really rush without any character development. You get some decent action scenes but could have been better if it took its time telling the story.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have to say, I forgot about the XMen Origins movies which I think are excellent (maybe not the last one so much), and the other comicbook character based film, Dredd, when I took the time to watch it an allowed myself to enjoy it, I did so thoroughly. Quite minimalistic. A bIg shame 2000ad is not popular enough to warrant film adaptations.

Dredd was superb...a total throwback to the ultraviolent 80's action flicks. If you ever want an interesting read, look up the cluster that was the theatrical release and why it bombed.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I saw Jigsaw on the weekend. Pretty much on par with the series, or other sequels at least. No better or worse than you'd expect from a Saw movie.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Split

Finally got around to seeing this last night...it was worth the watch. Like most of M.Night's films, its kind of a mess, but McAvoy's performance makes up for it. I'll say that some plot points are overly messy and convoluted though...so again, its an ok film...not great, but watchable.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Murder on the Orient Express
A good movie for old people, but the story was ultimately poorly told. Johnny Depp’s character lacked motive. I liked the performance of Josh Gadd a lot as he brought a bit more seriousness to the movie while the rest of the cast was likely there for the awesome after parties. Wait for it to hit streaming video.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Murder on the Orient Express
A good movie for old people, but the story was ultimately poorly told. Johnny Depp’s character lacked motive. I liked the performance of Josh Gadd a lot as he brought a bit more seriousness to the movie while the rest of the cast was likely there for the awesome after parties. Wait for it to hit streaming video.

I watched the Albert Finney Version last night... Unsure if the new one is better told... but my view is that the 1974 version is almost perfect in it's story telling of the classic Agatha Christie book...

xROTx

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finally saw FREE FIRE and I LOVED it. Great movie and bloody as all get out. Oh...and I HATE STEVO!!!!! That bastard got what he deserved and I wished it happened 5 more times before the movie ended.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Split

Finally got around to seeing this last night...it was worth the watch. Like most of M.Night's films, its kind of a mess, but McAvoy's performance makes up for it. I'll say that some plot points are overly messy and convoluted though...so again, its an ok film...not great, but watchable.

still need to see this considering it being a sum what sequel to unbreakable which was one of my favourite movies of that era.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Watched LIFE this weekend.
It legitimately freaked me out, like no other movie has in at least a decade. It's reminiscent of Alien in how it builds tension & terror using a sci-fi theme. What makes it so suspenseful (to me) is how it takes place on the ISS and how everything that happens is slightly more believable than a typical sci-fi movie that would usually take place in the future, with tech that is more fantasy than reality. That, and the alien in question is intelligent enough to be scary. Good shit.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
47 Meters - This movie got a lot neg rep for being unrealistic. Im not a diver so i dont really care how long they were suppose to be able to have air nor do i care if sharks get bad reps because of shark movies. It had enough suspense and these sharks were fucking huge. The downfall was the chemistry between the sisters & lack of character depth to care for them.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
47 Meters - This movie got a lot neg rep for being unrealistic. Im not a diver so i dont really care how long they were suppose to be able to have air nor do i care if sharks get bad reps because of shark movies. It had enough suspense and these sharks were fucking huge. The downfall was the chemistry between the sisters & lack of character depth to care for them.

just saw the trailer. thought it was good. i really liked open water, so i might like this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thor 3 - WOW, what a hot mess. It was ripping off Guardians hard. What a strange, strange style for this film - like some kind of ugly 80s aesthetic coupled with the Mark Mothersbaugh score, ooof. I can't blame Goldblum, he was totally in place in this strange film. I also can't remember the last time I saw a Hollywood film feel so amateur-ish. More than once it felt like the actors were just joking around, and it didn't feel like they were their characters.

Obviously dumping Portman was a step up. But I can't get over that this film was made the way it was. Unlike Taiso, I don't care about comic books and even when I did I didn't care about Thor too much. So this ended up in X-Men Origins Wolverine territory - so horrible I ended up enjoying it. Feel bad for real Thor fans though. Three movies and none of them great.

edit: well, there it is, explains why it felt like the actors weren't acting:

According to Waititi, 80 percent of the dialogue in Thor: Ragnarok was improvised, in order to create a "very loose and collaborate mood" among the cast and an attempt to replicate the tone and sensibility from his previous films. He stated, "My style of working is I'll often be behind the camera, or right next to the camera yelling words at people, like, 'Say this, say this! Say it this way!'"

Last edited: