Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Wedding Singer - Kids like Blended so i told them that these two made a movie together 20 years ago. They really like this one too.

When Marnie Was There - Beautiful film w/ some really amazing art.

We are watching double feature tonight Creed & Creed 2.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mona Lisa Smile - gay.

The Incredibles - gets better each time. Very, very good family situations and dialogue.

Batman Returns - jesus Michelle Pfeiffer, just wow man.

LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Super Heroes Unite - The Kid said Lego Batman was good, so I checked this out and halfway through checked the title more clearly, and this isn't the Lego Batman movie. Good advertisement for Lego toys if the audience is 5 years old though.

Starship Troopers - News: "A murderer was captured this morning and tried today." Judge: "Guilty." News: "Sentence: death. Execution tonight at 6, all net, all channels." also, mazzy star's fade into you.

The Mummy - I wish adventure films were still a thing.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - hasn't aged as well as you thought it did. hard truth.

Spirited Away - the scene with the river god getting cleaned and then finally pulling out the plug that lets all the trash out is very satisfying.

The Addams Family - what a wholesome movie. I only found out very recently that Angelica Huston had her eyebrows taped to give them an arch which explains why this was the only film I found her attractive in.

Naked Gun 33 and a third - not as funny as it was when I was 7. But still palatable.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Robot and Frank

Well shit. I know it's got Frank Langella in it but I just had no interest in it. Which is weird because I love robot stuff.

My mom wanted to watch it so we did and it was really great. Funny at times, sad at others. It's a little more impactful (is that a word) to those that know somone afflicted with alzheimer's. My grandmother in this case.

But it was thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely recommend it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Just now saw a short interview of her from 2017. Like, jesus christ man. I know Hepburn is hailed as a goddess but Michelle deserves it just as much. I'm trying so hard how to think of what I thought of her as a kid. Anything goofy about Batman Returns, like Batman killing a dude or Burton's weirdness, is forgiven because of Michelle.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just now saw a short interview of her from 2017. Like, jesus christ man. I know Hepburn is hailed as a goddess but Michelle deserves it just as much. I'm trying so hard how to think of what I thought of her as a kid. Anything goofy about Batman Returns, like Batman killing a dude or Burton's weirdness, is forgiven because of Michelle.

She was old when I was kid.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah I didn't think she was attractive at all as a kid. Now I look back at those old movies and go "hellooooo nurse!" Hell, she still looked pretty good in Antman too considering her age.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Creed - Movie gave a lot of feels, even after the second time watching this. Watching part 2 tonight.

Sisters Brother - The cast alone you should see. Joaquin Phoenix great...Riz & Jake bromance continues but John C. Reilly really killed it. Decent character driven western but not a classic.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Once Upon a Time in China 6.

Kinda letdown by this one. Yuen Biao repping my favorite school, what’s not to like, right?

Well...I like gardenburgers and chilli, also. Serve me the two together, and I’m flipping tables Cho Chabudai Gaeshi style.

And I *prefer* Biao to Li, almost every time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Lion In Winter

It should be no surprise that I love me some costume dramas. I have been fascinated with European history for a long time now, predominantly the time period from the viking excursions to England up to the Renaissance. I am ALSO interested in the Renaissance, and a few other important eras in history, but England and France during the Middle Ages, from the Norman Conquest up through the death of Henry VIII, are just the most compelling human saga I've ever had the pleasure to read about.

Henry II is one of the most fascinating men to rule during that era. He wasn't a traditional king, rarely staying in one place for very long and being a hands on ruler concerned with expanding and solidifying his kingdom and influence, getting the magnates in line and stratifying his power to make it unshakable. His marriage to Eleanor of Aquitaine is one of the most interesting relationships in history. She was a cunning noblewoman, influential and persuasive and with a knack for intrigues that was just as keen as even the most capable ruler's of the day. They were, oddly, a very well suited power couple since Henry preferred to stay on the move and Eleanor was a mastermind at running affairs at home. They produced many sons and daughters, notably Richard I (the Lionheart), John (of Magna Carta fame and the authority figure in both ivanhoe and Robin Hood) among others. Henry II had to quell multiple rebellions engineered or enabled by Eleanor and their sons and while he would have been well within his rights to end their lives, he never did. His sons, he always forgave and his wife he exiled and locked for over a decade, only letting her out for special occasions.

This all really happened. Truth is stranger, and more interesting, than fiction.

There's also the whole Thomas Becket thing, but we'll leave that for now.

This movie is based on a play of the same name and stars Peter O'toole as Henry II, Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitaine, Anthony Hopkins as Richard I, Nigel Terry as John and Timothy Dalton as King Philip of France. The film is about a Christmas party Henry wants to have with his entire family so he summons them to the castle at Chinon (Henry never had a central seat of authority) for a family get together. Given his history with all of these people, and their various squabbles with one another, it shouldn't come as any surprise that things don't go as planned. Philip complicates things because Henry is trying to shore up things on the French coast and Philip is demanding that certain contractual agreements be fulfilled, which Henry doesn't like because they hinge on having to give his mistress Alais up to his son Richard to secure an alliance. If Henry doesn't do it, the pact is null and void and there will be war again. Meanwhile, Richard and John are fighting over who gets to be king when Henry's done. Henry pretends to want John but Eleanor wants Richard, who is clearly more suited to rule but has some issues of his own. Meanwhile, Eleanor also wants to negotiate her freedom from captivity and she has some pieces to move on the board but she's just as desperate as anyone here to get what she wants.

The important thing here is the desperation these characters all have. Each one of them is coming to the same place when so much is at stake. Henry wants to be done with war but he doesn't want to give Alais up. Eleanor wants her freedom and she is mentally and emotionally exhausted beyond description at her ongoing captivity, and she feels this is here last chance. Richard is angry and believes if he doesn't leave the party with the crown secured, he will lose it to John. John feels the same way. Another brother, Geoffrey, is distant and almost sociopathic in his willingness to play them all against one another to put himself on the throne. And Philip just wants to ruin the entire family because of the trouble they've been to his homeland of France, and he has dirt on most of them to make their lives even more miserable. How it all plays out is the crux of the film.

I just want to say that this film has some of the best acting I've ever seen in a film. I really, REALLY enjoyed watching these thespians dominate the frame with interaction that was so enchanting that I could have watched a six hour cut of this film and been thrilled. It helps that the screenplay has some of the most eloquent, delightful dialogue ever written. The actors know how to read these lines to maximum effect; there is more chemistry on screen between all of these players than I've ever seen in a film with an ensemble of this caliber.

There's a line in the movie that Eleanor recites during a scene with Henry II that goes:

"I'm like the earth, old man-there isn't any way around me."

That may be the only perfect line of dialogue ever written.

This is a must watch. Even after fifty years, this film is still hypnotic and hasn't lost any of its magic.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Michelle has aged gracefully.

The two Jennifers; Connelly and Aniston are the aging bombshells of Hollywood, imo.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Connelly is fine fine as fuck still. Never saw the big deal about Aniston aside from the perky nips. She just looked like every chick I went to HS with.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Never saw the big deal about Aniston aside from the perky nips. She just looked like every chick I went to HS with.

She does have that "girl next door" look about her. She's just one that's gotten better with age, for me.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Krull - 35 years late to the party, and it is a decent 80s sci-fi flick. I wish the king hadn't waited until the end to use the Glaive, since they never explained why he shouldn't. He could have avoided a lot of his "army" deaths had he just thrown it at various times. The special effects didn't hold up like Star Wars, but I enjoyed the silliness (especially Ergo).

Now I want to play the Atari 2600 game again, it was a really cool adaptation given the hardware limitation.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Once Upon a Time in China 6.

Kinda letdown by this one. Yuen Biao repping my favorite school, what’s not to like, right?

Well...I like gardenburgers and chilli, also. Serve me the two together, and I’m flipping tables Cho Chabudai Gaeshi style.

And I *prefer* Biao to Li, almost every time.

I dont recall Yuen Biao in Once Upon Time in China 6, just the original. He actually double for Jet Li quite a bit in the original QUTIC due to Li major injury. Hung-Yan club foot character ends up doubling Jet with the other OUTIC films.

OUTIC 6 a.k.a. Once Upon Time in China & America. That's the one that was directed and produce by Sammo & Tsui Hark where Jet Li meets Billy the Kid & fight indians in america. They stole the idea from Jackie Chan amnesia western project thus began the fall out between the two. Jackie Chan ended up taking parts of his script & put it into Who Am I & later on with Shanghai Noon.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was going to watch Green Book tonight with my gf but instead I ended up seperating. Funny how those things go sometimes. So fuck that film.
I remember when I seperated from my wife some ten years ago I went to watch that one where Tom Cruise only has one arm and one eye and tries to kill Hitler. What an ordeal that was. I had just chained smoked through a whole packet and there I was hyperventilating in the theatre like a ridiculous little man I am much of the time. Self love? Self hate! Sorry, carry on.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was going to watch Green Book tonight with my gf but instead I ended up seperating. Funny how those things go sometimes. So fuck that film.
I remember when I seperated from my wife some ten years ago I went to watch that one where Tom Cruise only has one arm and one eye and tries to kill Hitler. What an ordeal that was. I had just chained smoked through a whole packet and there I was hyperventilating in the theatre like a ridiculous little man I am much of the time. Self love? Self hate! Sorry, carry on.

get off the forums for a week and do some introspection, afterwards come back with what you've learned about yourself and post about it in war room

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Personal Shopper
Not as good as I hoped (it was almost instantly added to Criterion) but still worth a watch. Kristin Stewart (who actually isn't half bad of an actress depending on the movie / director) is a personal shopper for a Paris socialite. She's also sensitive to the spirit world. She and her twin brother (who is now dead) promised to reach out to each other once one of them died. She tries to juggle her work with looking for signs of her brother. But are the signs she receives really from her brother? Or something more mundane? Or something even creepier? Atmosphere was good, but the ghost CGI / design sucked. The three facets of the movie mesh well together, but there isn't as big of a payoff as you'd expect.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

I enjoyed Green Book...

The acting was excellant...

Unsure how historically accurate it is... but prob more accurate than Mel Gibsons.. The Patriot...

xROTx

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I enjoyed Green Book...

The acting was excellant...

Unsure how historically accurate it is... but prob more accurate than Mel Gibsons.. The Patriot...

xROTx

From what I've read, it's pretty inaccurate. The relationship between Ali's and Mortensen's characters doesn't reflect the way it was IRL at all.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
From what I've read, it's pretty inaccurate. The relationship between Ali's and Mortensen's characters doesn't reflect the way it was IRL at all.

I suppose... but I remember a time when you couldn't google stuff and have instant access to opinions...

Generally I just enjoy a film for what it is... and I liked this one...

It's like Driving Miss Daisy... except with a Fat Aragorn...

xROTx

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I dont recall Yuen Biao in Once Upon Time in China 6, just the original. He actually double for Jet Li quite a bit in the original QUTIC due to Li major injury. Hung-Yan club foot character ends up doubling Jet with the other OUTIC films.

OUTIC 6 a.k.a. Once Upon Time in China & America. That's the one that was directed and produce by Sammo & Tsui Hark where Jet Li meets Billy the Kid & fight indians in america. They stole the idea from Jackie Chan amnesia western project thus began the fall out between the two. Jackie Chan ended up taking parts of his script & put it into Who Am I & later on with Shanghai Noon.

Ok, this explains a lot: we aren’t talking about the same movie.

Chalk it up to Amazon misprint.
4ca2a0006fa16c8f9313c2f82d1c133f.jpg

In other Amazon misprint news-I’m six minutes in to the greatest movie I’ve never seen. It’s like feelgood directed. Prime has it listed as, ‘The Iron Superman.’

Opening credits, title it...’Roboter Der Sterne.’ Superimposed in huge subtitles, is ‘SUPER RIDER.’
0e4491b19646a1c0caa79ba5253fac7c.jpg

My body is ready!