Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Incredibles 2 -boy, waited 14 years for this piece of shit. It was a story that really didn't need to be told. It's hard to believe out of all the possible plots they went with this one, picking up right after the first movie. It's stupid predictable (a character's name is Evelyn Deavour...say it out loud, and roll your eyes), the characters are stale, Mr. Incredible seems way too emotional/angry the first part of the movie, it's just really mediocre. It's a real shame they didn't do a time skip, at least a few years.

Easily one of Pixar's worst, right down there with Cars. 14 goddamn years waiting for a sequel and this is what they came up with.

At least elasta girl still had a fat ass. I liked the short "Bao" more than the actual movie

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just watching older films tbh...

The Crimson Pirate..

...Z'OMG... Burt Lancaster looks so young in this... but after all this time... still love this film...

xROTx

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Ant Man & The Wasp was great. I prefer the "street level" Marvel movies to the "OMZGHG we have to save the world!!!" ones. The flashback to Cuba was amazing - probably one of my favorite Marvel movie moments.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Ant Man & The Wasp

I really liked the original Antman. I don't know what I was expecting with this one. It's more of the same Antman, but less Antman. Antman is mostly backseat to the rest of the characters. All of them. Even the FBI agent seems to have a bigger role.

Not bad, but not great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's not a great standalone movie, but it's a good time if you liked the first movie. And you're right, it's more Wasp than Antman, but I'm okay with that since Hank Pym was onscreen a lot more.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Ant-Man and the Wasp

A good time, a fun movie, the comedy suits the material and tone established by the first film and really plays up Paul Rudd's strengths as an actor.

The thing I really like about both Ant-Man movies is how the plots are specifically centered around his power set and how clever the films are in using his powers in unique and clever ways. Not only is it entertaining to watch him do his thing, it's also quite creative. And, again, I like that the stories are about Pym particles and the Quantum Realm. It creates a nice little pocket of the MCU for this family of characters.

And I also like that they aren't dealing with earth shattering consequences. Like Spier-Man: Homecoming, they're just fun comic book adventures.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Saw Incredibles 2 with the g/f. Good film, but not as good as the original. 8/10

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Finally saw A Quiet Place. Definitely creative, but I really wish I had seen it in theater. The creatures seemed a bit reminiscent of Cloverfield. Also saw the new Jurassic Park and wish I hadn't. At least the actress for Maizie (sp?) might have a bright future ahead, she turned out a decent performance, I suppose. Annihilation was beautiful and had an open(ish?) ending, I thought... I wonder what it would be like to watch it when baked, though. Hah.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kong: Skull Island (2017) -- Usually dumb popcorn works for me formidably, this was not the case here. I didn't watch it in IMAX 3D, though. Still, alone those artificially amplified greens and yellows turned me off so much, that I'm afraid, seeing it in 3D wouldn't make that much of a difference. If I seek adventure, I seek real dirt, not the CG kind. Everything is a parody here, yet, it wasn't funny. Lame.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Sorry To Bother You

Well, it starts off being a bit of an odd/quirky comedy. Then starts to get a bit political feeling and weird. Then goes to WTF levels of weird.

I still honestly don't know what in the fuck it was trying to say/be. Nor do I have any idea what the hell to say to describe it to anyone. Trailers only kinda show the first half of the movie and don't go anywhere near the wat teh fuck of the last third of the movie.

Oh, almost forgot that there was someone sitting in front of me that had an MVS themed shirt (red, circular neo logo on the front and back was like the big red side art). Was seriously wondering if that was someone that's here on the forum.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The Purge

I've been told that this movie doesn't live up to its lofty premise but I'd always been compelled by the idea as speculative fiction in the same vein as The Twilight Zone.

I have to agree with the assertions that the film can't sustain its own concept. This film is tanked mostly by the nonsensical behavior of Ethan Hawke's family. Apropos of nothing, everyone discovers their dormant humanity leading into the third act and I can't understand why. It's not that they couldn't exhibit mercy and reorient their moral compasses. It's more that they shouldn't act so irrationally without better justification. I can accept the speculative premise of an annual 'Purge' in order to examine deeper issues of inequality and the perpetuation of violence in American society. But when the characters seem like they've been displaced from their world and placed into this one, I'm unable to buy in.

I intend to watch the rest of these periodically. I'm still intrigued by the premise. The marketing for the first film was really provocative but the experience just didn't measure up.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Quiet Place.

Wasn't bad, considering Jim Halpert directed and started in it. Interesting premise, if not anything really new.

Still kept my attention even though there was minimal dialog in it.

Also, Emily Blunt is still hot as shit at 9 months preggo.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Bleeding Steel - I think this was Jackie Chan's newest film. A lot more violent then most of his film but still lots of cheese. This had a sci fi element to it which JC i dont think has done one yet. No memorable action scenes, bad story, & bad acting.

Rampage - Movie seem decent enough, i was getting eaten by mosquito so i couldn't really focus too much...Still seem like your typical predictable summer blockbuster flick. Kids love the NES game so they really wanted to see this.

Mask of Zorro - Movie is still bad ass & fuck Zeta was fucking perfect...Too bad she went bat crazy and married that old fart. Antonio Rico Suave was born to play Zorro.
Legend of Zorro - I didn't really care for this when i saw it in theater, the little kid was annoying as hell. Watched it not as bad as before but still not good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Finally watched Last Jedi last night and it was a huge pile of missed opportunities and bad decisions.

There was a little too much matriarching of the rebellion, which kind of felt sexist, not against men, but against women, that they could be so devoid of variance of character (we will only have strong females here!). I think Admiral Hux should have been female. Sure, Phasma is “female” or possibly trans, who knows. Phasma is so underused and who cares because Phasma is a typical cheap and soulless Chinese knockoff of Boba Fett.

Obviously, Leia should have died in the movie. Her life post airlocking is silly and plays into the stereotype of Star Wars brings a space opera and not a science fiction.

Dumpy Korean girl from that NFLX anti-meat eating movie has a prominent role in this, but she’s amazingly husky for a rebel on the run from the first order.

I kind of like Kylo Ren, but something was horribly wrong in the way the director and editor worked his scenes. At the same time I hate how wooden the actor was here, yet he has displayed abilities in every other movie he made. Why is he phoning this one in? I can only blame the director.

Main girl Jedi still lacks a character or personality. Should have made her a droid.

Maybe the biggest gripe is the lack of any integrity whatsoever when actors can stowaway into the cast like Benicio Deltoro’s garbage ass character. Or Justin Theroux confusing everyone into thinking he was Bobby Carnivale.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
That's pretty kind for Last Jedi. I will still argue it was entertaining, but wtf in the wtf as a star wars movie.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
10x10 (2018)

Abduction thriller.
She assumes the kidnapper wants her body or her life, but he is after something more simpler....her name.

During the initial build-up, a somewhat intriguing thriller, until we learn the "why", which then makes for a ridiculous third act.
Give this one a miss.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Calibre - couple friends go on a trip to do some hunting, and shit goes horrendously sideways on their first day out. Very dark. Some shades of Deliverance, but no one gets raped. Pretty good for a Netflix movie.

How it Ends - also a Netflix original, and back down closer to The Cloverfield Paradox in terms of quality. Starts off alright, and the cast is way better than it ought to have, but holy hell is the ending terrible. It's not an ending, really. Definitely a waste of an hour and forty minutes. And the overall structure was very amateurish. Most of the movie is a connection of set pieces that aren't tied together well at all, which don't really serve much purpose. It's like the writer(s) had a list of disaster movie cliches they wanted to have in their movie, so they just wrote those scenes and didn't bother trying to tie them to the plot or give them any actual reason to exist in the movie.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Bleeding Steel - I think this was Jackie Chan's newest film. A lot more violent then most of his film but still lots of cheese. This had a sci fi element to it which JC i dont think has done one yet. No memorable action scenes, bad story, & bad acting.

I just finished watching this. I always check out the latest Jackie Chan films, even though they don't live up to his films from the late 70s to the early 90s, I usually get some kind of enjoyment out of them. This film though was just a bore. I had no interest in the plot, the action was mostly dull and generic and the comedy was all left to the younger guy, which is not why I'm watching a Jackie movie. It's one of my least favourite of his films, up there (or down there, I suppose) with Dragon Blade.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
A Quiet Place & The Strangers: Prey at Night.

I liked A Quiet Place more, but they're both watchable. Even for a horror movie the terrorized family in Prey at Night acted beyond stupid. All the 80s songs seemed out of place too and were probably included to excite the younger crowd. Now all the high school fags can go to Youtube and look up "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and say "this movie brought me here!".

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Interview with the Vampire

It's hard to overstate how campy / gay this movie is. As well as how bad it is. The story isn't compelling at all, the characters are unlikeable, the best acting comes from 12 year old Kyrstin Dunst FFS, the airbrushed vein makeup is way too prominent, blah blah. I fell asleep twice.

But the book it's based on launched Anne Rice's career, right? So I'm assuming the book is equally (or even more) homoerotic but is somehow more compelling.