Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Spider-man - Wow this was a lot better then i remembered it. Goblin mask is still dumb though.
Spider-man 2 Extended - Not sure what exactly was added but man this is still probably one of my fav superhero films. Everything is just perfect except for Kristin Dunst got hit with the ugly stick.

The Villainess - Korean version of La Femme Nikita meets Kill Bill. Starts off with a pretty impressive First Person View battle but also nauseating, these type of filming tend to get me dizzy. Luckily for me its not like this throughout the movie. The camera work is impressive but a bit too much. Also wish the director would pan out a little more to see the action scenes. Overall solid action film!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Spider-man - Wow this was a lot better then i remembered it. Goblin mask is still dumb though.

tobey maguire's first spiderman movie is still one of my all time favourite super hero movies.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It is excellent.

Watched Get Out today. Waaaaay overrated, not bad at all but hardly Oscar nomination material. Tone-wise it has been done better and quite recently too.

Disagree. I thought Get Out was the best movie of 2017. At least, it was the most fun I had at the theater - similar experience to Saw in 2004. I imagine watching it on a TV by yourself would not be anywhere near as good.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Disagree. I thought Get Out was the best movie of 2017. At least, it was the most fun I had at the theater - similar experience to Saw in 2004. I imagine watching it on a TV by yourself would not be anywhere near as good.

naaaa
has nothing to do with where I watched it.
we obviously have different tastes in films. I thought Get Out was amateurish indie horror, somewhat hackneyed acting and not too far removed from The Purge, which was cool enough for what it was but very rough round the edges.
there where way better films at the cinema in 2017, though maybe not in the horror category.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Dude, you're talking to a guy who lives in the country where a lot of people are still upset about Jesse Owens .

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Dude, you're talking to a guy who lives in the country where a lot of people are still upset about Jesse Owens .

haha fuck that. my granma had african and native blood. there's a lot of twats around here, but black is not wack in this region. at least not in Buenos Aires

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Street Kings (2008): Forest Whitaker was incredible, he managed it to elicit new aspects out of that generic character he impersonated and was even better at it than James Cromwell was, and way better than Denzel Washington, when both had similar parts. Chris Evans was very charismatic, too, for the little screen time he got, and made watching the film worthwhile. Since there were three writers at work, I'll call that the well-made James Ellroy part.

Shooting and fighting scenes ranged between dumb and unnecessary, the Kurt Wimmer part I gather, and the exact same can be said about Common's idiotic Walter E. Kurtz parody -- flat and amateurish, to put it politely, but that's what you get when studio policies are enforced. Anyway, all in all an ok'ish experience, but Whitaker's screen-charisma and acting skills made it an accomplished one.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
haha fuck that. my granma had african and native blood. there's a lot of twats around here, but black is not wack in this region. at least not in Buenos Aires
I am just fucking with you. I saw your pic and know you're more muslim looking than anyone else here.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I am just fucking with you. I saw your pic and know you're more muslim looking than anyone else here.

:lolz:
When I was 5, living in exile in France along with the rest of the foreign scum, my first fancy dress party I went as Arafat. Had a wooden gun and everything. I was just another olive skinned person back in England and France, here in Argentina I am by contrast pretty white

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Green Room (2016)

Intense thriller/drama about a hardcore punk band who get trapped in an isolated barn/club after playing a gig for a few quick bugs and witnessing a murder by one of the local Neo-Nazi skinheads. Patrick Stewart is surprising as the leader of the pack but acts the role perfectly. Really suspenseful and realistic. Directed by the guy who did the equally intense Blue Ruin.

Blue Ruin (2013)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Martian - Scott is a genius.

Alien: Covenant - Scott is a dottering old retard.

Gladiator - prime Scott.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Green Room (2016)

Intense thriller/drama about a hardcore punk band who get trapped in an isolated barn/club after playing a gig for a few quick bugs and witnessing a murder by one of the local Neo-Nazi skinheads. Patrick Stewart is surprising as the leader of the pack but acts the role perfectly. Really suspenseful and realistic. Directed by the guy who did the equally intense Blue Ruin.

Such a great little movie, I had a blast seeing it in an almost empty theater back when it came out with some friends (shortly before it's star was killed in a freak accident no less). I hear most people who mention the movie online talking about how intense it is, but it didn't really have me on the edge of my seat or anything, it plays out like an old Sam Peckinpah movie or something and is just a really great genre exercise. Efficiently made and lean and mean and ugly, my kind of movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Three Billboards
Well written movie that explored redemption and persistence. The main character, Mildred, represented persistence. Some of the other characters, who seemed like shitty people, took their chance at redemption.

The movie didn't unwind the way I expected it to, which was unusual, because I can typically fill in the blanks for 80 minutes if you give me the first 10. The movie has the element of mystery, but with some humor. A lot of interesting characters. Fargo-ish? But not as dark.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gone with the Wind (1939) -- I'm not smart enough to pour joy from a D. W. Griffith, and not nerdy enough to do the usual Star Wars run. This Selznick is perfect, though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Three Billboards
Well written movie that explored redemption and persistence. The main character, Mildred, represented persistence. Some of the other characters, who seemed like shitty people, took their chance at redemption.

The movie didn't unwind the way I expected it to, which was unusual, because I can typically fill in the blanks for 80 minutes if you give me the first 10. The movie has the element of mystery, but with some humor. A lot of interesting characters. Fargo-ish? But not as dark.

so the movie didn't have a typical ending or one you'd expect?, interesting. but this movie is on my list. just by the trailer i got a bit of a hell or high water vibe from it. a huge fan movies that are based around the southern states.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Green Room (2016)

I've seen it not too long ago. After all the good things I've heard about it prior to watching it, I was expecting more. It's only one level above the run of the mill slashers, where teens get picked off one by one. Not that it's a bad movie, or that it's not entertaining. I just feel the praise isn't really justified in this case. And I really liked Blue Ruin.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Solaris (remake)

I had seen Solaris in the theater, and had the original at some time. I recall falling asleep watching the original.
Two things on Solaris, one George Clooney basically commits suicide at the end (spoiler). Also in one of the flashbacks, Clooney is in the bookstore with Dr Quinn and when Clooney is talking you can see his head move around. I think that is his normal movements but it is weird.

Another thing about Solaris, it was on DVD and I have noticed this before. But there is some sort of teating that happens on some DVDs when a person's face is shown, half of their face will move up slightly and the other half doesn't. Or it is out of sync. I do not know what the cause of this is, but this is one of those movies where it happens.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Solaris (remake)

I had seen Solaris in the theater, and had the original at some time. I recall falling asleep watching the original.
Two things on Solaris, one George Clooney basically commits suicide at the end (spoiler). Also in one of the flashbacks, Clooney is in the bookstore with Dr Quinn and when Clooney is talking you can see his head move around. I think that is his normal movements but it is weird.

Another thing about Solaris, it was on DVD and I have noticed this before. But there is some sort of teating that happens on some DVDs when a person's face is shown, half of their face will move up slightly and the other half doesn't. Or it is out of sync. I do not know what the cause of this is, but this is one of those movies where it happens.

Tarkovski's original was beautiful for its time, but right now it feels like it isn't paced that well. That's my personal opinion on the original Solaris. I have not seen the remake yet and don't really plan to.

here is another Russian sci fi from the early 80s. It's a far cry from Solaris in terms of filmmaking, but something about the style really hits a nerve with me.

here is Tarkovski's original

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've tried, three times, to get through The Cloverfield Paradox. It's so bad. More than anything it's just so boring. And what is the deal with Zhang Ziyi only speaking Chinese to everyone, but obviously understanding all of the English that they speak to her? The conversations between her speaking Chinese and the other person (or people) speaking English are ridiculous.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've tried, three times, to get through The Cloverfield Paradox. It's so bad. More than anything it's just so boring. And what is the deal with Zhang Ziyi only speaking Chinese to everyone, but obviously understanding all of the English that they speak to her? The conversations between her speaking Chinese and the other person (or people) speaking English are ridiculous.

It brings up an interesting point about whether we will logically all speak english eventually, and tribal languages will die out, as they should, or if we will illogically train people to all understand all languages, because all tribal cultures matter.

And before anyone tries to jump on me for saying mandarin is just a tribal language, well, all of these languages were, but mandarin more than any other language, next to Spanish or French, has benefited at the obliteration of other dominated cultures and identities. So fuck that language in its sideways vagina.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It brings up an interesting point about whether we will logically all speak english eventually, and tribal languages will die out, as they should, or if we will illogically train people to all understand all languages, because all tribal cultures matter.

And before anyone tries to jump on me for saying mandarin is just a tribal language, well, all of these languages were, but mandarin more than any other language, next to Spanish or French, has benefited at the obliteration of other dominated cultures and identities. So fuck that language in its sideways vagina.

Entirely likely. Just played weird on screen without providing context. And as dumb as the rest of that script is, that might be way more credit than the writers deserve.

I watched The Eyes of My Mother. Pretty out there. Probably the closest an American movie has come to evoking the feel of the French horror movies, which is a compliment. Kika Magalhães was great in what was only her second role.