Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Saw Pet Semetary 2019.
The movie was okay, but the ending gave a complete sense of dread that I haven't felt since The Witch.
Better then the 1989 version for certain.

*MINOR SPOILERS"

Disagree. I thought the remake was a pointless by the numbers exercise. Their idea of creativity was changing key aspects of King's plot in "dun-dun-DUN" moments. Even minor changes like having the kids bury animals the Pet Semetary while wearing Eyes Wide Shut masks were fucking stupid.

The original did a better job at showing Louis Creed's torment and motivation for his actions vs Jason Clarke's "welp, time to bury stuff, i guess" approach.

Also, Fred Gwynne >>>>>> John Lithgow as Jud.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I rewatched Heat. Mixed bag. Some things still shine, like the way Mann handles scores: taciturn and exciting. But whenever he tries to focus his abstract frames on the troubled, melodramatic backgrounds of his characters, it starts to feel shallow and forced. Yeah sure, the famous cop & robber evening coffee party works fine, yet, I can't help thinking that it belonged to some other, arguably better film, a less crowded one, focused exclusively on those two polarizing characters and their work.

Instead of becoming the next Bullitt, Heat's trying to lift a soapy Short Cuts, introducing too many supporting characters, along with their weepy biographies, successively watering down what's best about a heist film, which are the heists, of course. A stagy soundtrack and the monumental length of three hours plus don't help either. Mann should've taken McCauley's credo seriously and don't get his script get attached to anything it couldn't walk out in 30 seconds, most of all when it tries too hard.

At the end, it's still a good film, just not all of it.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Saw the remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis; so very disappointed in how that turned out. The original Death Wish with Charles Bronson, was such a gritty and violent movie but it felt authentic, this new one was just... modern trash. I can't tell if I just don't like bald Bruce Willis as an actor or the movie was just that bad. Thankfully I didn't pay for a movie ticket.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Suck it, Johnson.

Looks more like suck it, world.

The first Disney movie was safe and relied completely on triggering nostalgia, with nothing new happening and nothing new to say.

The second one overcorrected and relied completely on subverting expectations rather than playing to them the way the first one had, and almost everyone hated it.

So there can be no doubt they will overcorrect again back the other way, and this one will push every nostalgia button in your head, do nothing new whatsoever and be the safest, most predictable movie ever, undermined further by its absolute desperation. Star Wars is dead, has been dead, and this is them pissing all over the grave and trying to convince you it's a spring rain. Well go drink it all in, you sad people who can't accept it's over.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Star Wars franchise under Abrams’ will be the death of more actors than Street Fighter, starring Raul Julia.

Harrison Ford’s requirement for even showing up was that they kill him off quickly.

I can totally see Billy Dee Williams kicking the bucket as well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nocturnal Animals
Two stories in one really. A woman in high society surrounded by the fakest people imaginable gets a manuscript in the mail from her college sweetheart, 20 years after leaving him. The manuscript is titled with the nickname he had for her, and dedicated to her. The story inside is of a guy and his family who get attacked in the middle of Texas while on the way to Marfa ("what the fuck is in Marfa?!" my reaction, "Prada?"), and how the husband tries to live following it.

It's important to remember that this is a movie by Tom Ford, who is a premier fashion designer, so this movie could be visually something. But for the most part, it's ok. While certain scenes feel like a David Lynch movie, such as the camera following the paved road, or the desolate settings in West Texas, the ambiance reminds me more of Schnaubel's Diving Bell and Butterfly, in how sad it is.

This was one of the better stories I have seen in film in years. Probably not for most of you guys, but for me, it was a beautiful movie. 4/5.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed that one. Def has Lynch vibes. I felt the two separate stories that overlapped worked very well.

The high end art world stuff was spot on.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Looks more like suck it, world.

The first Disney movie was safe and relied completely on triggering nostalgia, with nothing new happening and nothing new to say.

The second one overcorrected and relied completely on subverting expectations rather than playing to them the way the first one had, and almost everyone hated it.

So there can be no doubt they will overcorrect again back the other way, and this one will push every nostalgia button in your head, do nothing new whatsoever and be the safest, most predictable movie ever, undermined further by its absolute desperation. Star Wars is dead, has been dead, and this is them pissing all over the grave and trying to convince you it's a spring rain. Well go drink it all in, you sad people who can't accept it's over.

You take Star Wars a little too seriously. It must suck to not be able to just sit back and enjoy a stupid adventure movie.

Nocturnal Animals
Two stories in one really. A woman in high society surrounded by the fakest people imaginable gets a manuscript in the mail from her college sweetheart, 20 years after leaving him. The manuscript is titled with the nickname he had for her, and dedicated to her. The story inside is of a guy and his family who get attacked in the middle of Texas while on the way to Marfa ("what the fuck is in Marfa?!" my reaction, "Prada?"), and how the husband tries to live following it.

It's important to remember that this is a movie by Tom Ford, who is a premier fashion designer, so this movie could be visually something. But for the most part, it's ok. While certain scenes feel like a David Lynch movie, such as the camera following the paved road, or the desolate settings in West Texas, the ambiance reminds me more of Schnaubel's Diving Bell and Butterfly, in how sad it is.

This was one of the better stories I have seen in film in years. Probably not for most of you guys, but for me, it was a beautiful movie. 4/5.

I saw this in the theater when it first came out. The Amy Adams story was kind of slow, but I loved the Gyllanhall story.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Last Shift - strong atmosphere throughout and quite good for the first 2/3 or so, then it pretty much completely biffs the landing.

fake

15 Year Member
The Last Shift - strong atmosphere throughout and quite good for the first 2/3 or so, then it pretty much completely biffs the landing.

Agreed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You take Star Wars a little too seriously. It must suck to not be able to just sit back and enjoy a stupid adventure movie.
You're putting me in the position of hating the first two Disney episodes, which is not what that post was. It was a description of Disney's approach and the general reaction. I was fine with the movies for what they were, what has soured me on the franchise was the fandom post-Last Jedi combined with this movie's obvious caving to those fans.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Highwaymen- It was kind of you know, maybe super great awesome. You guys remember when Kevin Costners was like totally out of the world in 90s. Dances With Wolves and Robbing the Hood. I mean Water World... hello... duh.

I'd put it up there with that Tom Hanks movie where that guy get's glass all up in his face.

fake

15 Year Member
You're putting me in the position of hating the first two Disney episodes, which is not what that post was. It was a description of Disney's approach and the general reaction. I was fine with the movies for what they were, what has soured me on the franchise was the fandom post-Last Jedi combined with this movie's obvious caving to those fans.

So you'd rather them lean into the Flying Princess Leia and Force Ragamuffin and SJW Umpa Lumpa threads as opposed to going back to JJ's Star Wars?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So you'd rather them lean into the Flying Princess Leia and Force Ragamuffin and SJW Umpa Lumpa threads as opposed to going back to JJ's Star Wars?

I'm saying that when ostensibly creative people hold themselves hostage to fan demands, nothing good is ever created. This comes up a lot in comics, which is probably why I feel strongly about it. The extent to which someone or a lot of someones may feel Last Jedi was misjudged and the franchise as a whole poorly managed is almost a side issue.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'd argue there's a difference between being "held hostage to fan demands" and subtly admitting that you made a mistake(s). Any pre-established commercial property has some responsibility to the people that made it popular in the first place if they continue to wish to print money in the future... and Star Wars is the most commercial of commercial properties. It survived for 15 years without a film (and then another 10+) solely on the back of endless merchandising and licensed (extended universe) and unlicensed fan-fiction.

A large portion of the Star Wars fandom has hated/been disappointed by Star Wars for the last 20 years. Acting like the "entitled fan" thing is somehow new is hopelessly naive. The only reason it's such a thing now is entertainment media is constantly trying to drum up outrage and paint impotent nerd outrage on social media as some kind of societal evil.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'd argue there's a difference between being "held hostage to fan demands" and subtly admitting that you made a mistake(s). Any pre-established commercial property has some responsibility to the people that made it popular in the first place if they continue to wish to print money in the future... and Star Wars is the most commercial of commercial properties. It survived for 15 years without a film (and then another 10+) solely on the back of endless merchandising and licensed (extended universe) and unlicensed fan-fiction.

A large portion of the Star Wars fandom has hated/been disappointed by Star Wars for the last 20 years. Acting like the "entitled fan" thing is somehow new is hopelessly naive. The only reason it's such a thing now is entertainment media is constantly trying to drum up outrage and paint impotent nerd outrage on social media as some kind of societal evil.

/mic drop

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I can totally see Billy Dee Williams kicking the bucket as well.

Yeah, I fear Lando will get claimed by the Reaper too. Hopefully Chewie walks away from the last film in the new trilogy unscathed, but, more likely, he and Lando will probably go out in a spectacular Millennium Falcon fireball together.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd argue there's a difference between being "held hostage to fan demands" and subtly admitting that you made a mistake(s).
There's nothing subtle about that episode title. That title says, "We'll do anything you want-- just please stop hating us." It's as subtle as a $2 hooker on fire, waving a brick above her head and hollering.

And no, the entitled fan thing is nothing new. I can't figure out what you're looking at that makes you think I said it was. What's new in terms of Star Wars is Disney flinching and caving. Fine, they made mistakes, whatever, but putting the fans in the driver's seat is always worse.

And the money printing thing may be dying out anyway. Star Wars merch sales have been in decline for a while now. It doesn't help that a sizable portion of the new fandom from the past decade was pushed/forced into it by their overstepping nerd dads, and as those kids mature and start deciding their own tastes, may be starting to not appreciate that shit and push back.

Yeah, I fear Lando will get claimed by the Reaper too. Hopefully Chewie walks away from the last film in the new trilogy unscathed, but, more likely, he and Lando will probably go out in a spectacular Millennium Falcon fireball together.
If you think Disney is going to dare let JJ kill Lando at this point, you're not fucking paying attention. Anything that could possibly make a fan mad or sad now is completely off the table.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
There's nothing subtle about that episode title. That title says, "We'll do anything you want-- just please stop hating us." It's as subtle as a $2 hooker on fire, waving a brick above her head and hollering.

None of the titles have ever been subtle and reading anything in to it beyond "this is a vague four-word description of the theme or narrative thread of the movie" is reading too much.

And no, the entitled fan thing is nothing new. I can't figure out what you're looking at that makes you think I said it was. What's new in terms of Star Wars is Disney flinching and caving. Fine, they made mistakes, whatever, but putting the fans in the driver's seat is always worse.

I believe that would be...

I was fine with the movies for what they were, what has soured me on the franchise was the fandom post-Last Jedi combined with this movie's obvious caving to those fans.

Those fans have existed since 1999 so I'm not sure how The Last Jedi would be some inflection point. The only difference now is social media makes them louder (assuming you pay attention) and entertainment media calling those fans misogynists and fascist sympathizers. No seriously... apparently thinking Darth Vader is cool now makes you a fascist. Don't get me wrong, I think most Star Wars fans are twats who should shut the fuck up and and go watch the original three movies but the media has gone full retard and it can sour you on a lot of things if you let it.

If you think Disney is going to dare let JJ kill Lando at this point, you're not fucking paying attention. Anything that could possibly make a fan mad or sad now is completely off the table.

No one seemed to give a shit that Solo died. Harrison Ford is a million years old and hates Star Wars and it served the purpose of establishing Darth Fallout Boy as heinous and cold-blooded. So killing Lando will be fine as long as it's a heroic sacrifice or if he does something within his established character... if anyone complains, it will only be because it's predictable at this point that the old farts kick it.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m personally hoping that Chewy and Lando die while recreating a scene from American Gods, where Laura Moon is giving road head to Shadow’s friend.