Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Patterson. Lovely. Jarmusch homaging himself. Very soft. Driver is excellent in the film.

Whiplash. Just saw it for the first time and whilst I have certain deep seated reservations about the director and this type of direction, I was pretty much awestruck. Great acting and the last 5 minutes where memorable.

When a film ends with such class it sticks out, I find it to be a very rare thing

JK Simmons in Whiplash is one of my favorite performances in any movie, ever. Maybe not quite as good but in the same ballpark, for me at least, as Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
JK Simmons in Whiplash is one of my favorite performances in any movie, ever. Maybe not quite as good but in the same ballpark, for me at least, as Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood.

Both brilliant performances. The new Daniel Day Lewis film by Paul Thomas Anderson looks terrific and I have no doubt his acting will be sublime.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I started watching November Man starring Pierce Brosnan a couple nights ago, because someone a couple years back told me it was what Brosnan's Bond movies should have been. If I could just remember who it was that told me this, I could get my revenge. Because this movie is a chunk of shit. Just a bunch of pieces from better movies (mostly The Mechanic) strung together into the most boring, predictable hack job imaginable.

Anyway, I got about three quarters of the way through before I gave it up as a wasted night. The idea of watching the rest the following night was so demoralizing that I decided to just read the wikipedia page synopsis instead, to make sure it didn't suddenly get good or do anything even slightly original or interesting right at the end. Nope. It didn't.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Silence. Had wanted to watch this for a long time. It wasn't exactly what I expected at first, had a feeling there where better directors out there in the department Scorsese was working in, plus all those nods winks and tips of the hats towards classic Japanese directors.
But at its core is a very good premise, dealing with personal belief. Not the easiest film to watch for me as I feel such rejection for religious institutions, but I will watch again at some point because I feel it was so effective in dealing with true spirituality

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Wanted to watch Silence, is it similar to the Mission?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
watched the disaster artist again. it's definitely one of my favourite movies of last year. i especially enjoy the first half where the movie concentrates on the friendship between johnny and greg. the movie surprisingly has good atmosphere and vibe. will be one of my go to movies when i feel a little down.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
hey, by the way, I meant to click reply to Bogard's post, but I just realized I edited in his post. Mea culpa.

you're right, my mistake. his name is tommy. it's johnny in the movie they made.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Snowman - the main character's name is Harry Hole. That's all you need to know, go see it.

JK, it's terrible. I watched it knowing full well how bad it was supposed to be, and it met that expectation. Really boring, with a predictable and still completely random reveal of the killer.

Felt like an incomplete movie, which, apparently, is basically true due to studio interference in editing.

Even given all that, I have no idea how the basic premise could mean that the novel is any good. The story comes off like a feeble attempt to capitalize on the popularity of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, only without any of the things that make the latter work so well.

edit: how in the hell JK Simmons agreed to take his role in this is beyond me. Oh, and it sure as hell looks like it was meant to set up a series, which is hilarious. Oh, and the major subplot involving the "Winter World Cup" was laughably terrible, for many reasons.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
The Foreigner - Jackie Chan is pretty badass, he went full serious mode in this like in Crime Story. I wish they gave him more scenes as it seem like it was almost an even split with Pierce Bronson. I liked it a lot despite it being predictable.

The Outlaws - Korean crime gang film base on true events. Really fun movie with quite a bit of graphic violence...No guns just sticks, knives, axes, and good ol korean muscle. The lead role guy had a certain charm to him just like he did in Train to Busan, he remind me of the old Arnold movies where he would just slap people around because he was bigger and stronger then all of them. Maybe a little longer then it needed to be but enjoyable movie.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The Outlaws - Korean crime gang film base on true events. Really fun movie with quite a bit of graphic violence...No guns just sticks, knives, axes, and good ol korean muscle. The lead role guy had a certain charm to him just like he did in Train to Busan, he remind me of the old Arnold movies where he would just slap people around because he was bigger and stronger then all of them. Maybe a little longer then it needed to be but enjoyable movie.

If you want another Korean crime/gangster cop film find and watch Nowhere To Hide

It's one of my fav Korean movies. I finally got Rot to watch it and he liked it as well. It's a good reminder to me that I need to keep watching Korean movies in theaters as I'd not have ever come across this had I not saw it when it played in the 2 or 3 theaters in this country.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
If you want another Korean crime/gangster cop film find and watch Nowhere To Hide

It's one of my fav Korean movies. I finally got Rot to watch it and he liked it as well. It's a good reminder to me that I need to keep watching Korean movies in theaters as I'd not have ever come across this had I not saw it when it played in the 2 or 3 theaters in this country.

My memory is fried but i remember renting it but that was almost 20years ago.

Whiplash - Movie cracked me up, i think this only works on band fagets, no way this guy can get away with the crapped he pulled. Still he was awesome, reminded me the good part of Full Metal Jacket bootcamp but you get the glorious humiliation and torture throughout the film...The gomerpile drummer needed it. Me love long time

Mountain Between Us - Im a sucker for survival films and love the cast. Could have been way better, it actually started off pretty good with the crash...After that though the director didn't do a good job displaying the dangerous snowy environment or the struggles of trying survive/get off the mountain. Kind of just went flat with no highs after leaving the plane.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Last week I watched Au Hasard Balthazar. It's a great movie, but it hasn't aged well. The asceticism of the filmmaking of Robert Bresson is really at odds with the crushing levels of emotion the movie is supposed to convey. It really feels like something out of the '30s even though it came out in the mid '60s. I do need to watch it again before making up my mind.

This week I watched mother!. I knew how polarizing the movie was, but I've got to say, I'm stuck somewhere in the middle. The levels of anxiety is induces are amazing. But it goes from slightly abstract to totally bonkers. I think if Aronofsky reined it in a bit, it could have been great, but as-is, it's just OK. Certainly not worthy of all the Razzy awards it received.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Mayhem - strikingly similar to The Belko Experiment. It's not as "well-made" as Belko, but overall I'd say it was more enjoyable to watch, due largely to the fact that it understands exactly what it is and doesn't try to do any more than that. Steven Yuen was likable enough but he's not a good actor (his character felt 100% like Glenn just with f-bombs). Samara Weaving steals most of the movie from him.

Not great, but decent enough given how short it is.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finally finished Brawl in Cell Block 99 and I liked it for the most part. Loved how Bradley just thrashed the tar out of so many people and how subtle his acting was. I do have to say though that he's kinda forced to be an utter asshole to save his wife and kid.

Also, saw a Cannon classic for the first time last Friday....AVENGING FORCE with Michael Dudikoff and Steve James. Really really good and very timely to see since the bad guys are pretty much a mixture of President Trump / Steve Bannon / The Koch Brothers (srsly). It's more or less an early 80s Hard Target featuring the crew from American Ninja.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
humpreys-what-we-do-in-the-shadows.jpg

Watched What We Do In the Shadows for the 4th time. After the first time, I find myself introducing it to new people and everyone enjoys it. Basically it's about a flat of 4 vampires from different eras, who live together and get documented by a film crew.

If you haven't seen it, it's on Amazon video.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
O.J.: Made in America (2016), after seeing the first four parts it's hard not to agree with one of the participants, who said plainly that there isn't any more powerful narrative in American society than that of race. This mammoth effort is not flawless, but incredibly diverse. You share the thrills, the cheap ones in the same degree as the profound and tragic ones. Well, as Juice was saying: It's easy to make friends, when you are winning.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
humpreys-what-we-do-in-the-shadows.jpg

Watched What We Do In the Shadows for the 4th time. After the first time, I find myself introducing it to new people and everyone enjoys it. Basically it's about a flat of 4 vampires from different eras, who live together and get documented by a film crew.

If you haven't seen it, it's on Amazon video.

It is excellent.

Watched Get Out today. Waaaaay overrated, not bad at all but hardly Oscar nomination material. Tone-wise it has been done better and quite recently too.

fake

15 Year Member
Watched Get Out today. Waaaaay overrated, not bad at all but hardly Oscar nomination material. Tone-wise it has been done better and quite recently too.

I half agree. I thought it was great, but not crazy good. But at the same time, I think the Oscars is a pretty low bar.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I half agree. I thought it was great, but not crazy good. But at the same time, I think the Oscars is a pretty low bar.

Yeah maybe. I think I mentioned that because I have a bet on who will win the Oscars in different categories. The Oscars are bullshit lie. Get Out was a bit as well. Same thing with It Follows, people talking it up like it was a masterpiece and it wasn't.
Will take much of the 2000s horror film remakes and adaptations over these hipster offerings.
Dawn of the Dead, The Hills have Eyes, Silent Hill. Trashy and fab.
Also Blair Witch Project

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah maybe. I think I mentioned that because I have a bet on who will win the Oscars in different categories. The Oscars are bullshit lie. Get Out was a bit as well. Same thing with It Follows, people talking it up like it was a masterpiece and it wasn't.
Will take much of the 2000s horror film remakes and adaptations over these hipster offerings.
Dawn of the Dead, The Hills have Eyes, Silent Hill. Trashy and fab.
Also Blair Witch Project

Oh man, I wouldn't say It Follows is a masterpiece, but it's definitely one of the best horror movies since the turn of the century, IMO. Under the Skin is even better, though it's a much slower burn. I'm not even sure I'd call it "horror". The only other relatively recent horror film that's left an impression on me is Get Out, I think, which is very good. For overrated stuff, I'd go with The Void. Kinda had a promise of a John Carpenter movie, but was more like a trashy mid-day SciFi Channel movie.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Oh man, I wouldn't say It Follows is a masterpiece, but it's definitely one of the best horror movies since the turn of the century, IMO. Under the Skin is even better, though it's a much slower burn. I'm not even sure I'd call it "horror". The only other relatively recent horror film that's left an impression on me is Get Out, I think, which is very good. For overrated stuff, I'd go with The Void. Kinda had a promise of a John Carpenter movie, but was more like a trashy mid-day SciFi Channel movie.

I think The Void's only real issue is that its ambition outstripped its budget ($150,000 supposedly). It was a pretty great concept but you can't really do a Clive Barker/Cronenberg level body horror movie with no money for spirit gum, karo syrup and latex. I think it's still worth seeing but the whole thing is filmed in shadows and darkness because the creature f/x would probably look terrible in the light.