Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Watched The Witch last night. Thought it was very good, and it made me hate Puritans on an epic level. Would never want to be gored by a goat though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Why do you have the Cambodian flag for your location

Eh, why not?

I recently watched every Poirot movie made this last week as I've been extremely sick. Pretty good use of some pretty horrible down time.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Upgrade - This was actually a pretty decent film. Wasn't as bloody/violent as some of you hinted.

Solo - i would say this is probably the weakest of all the SW films or close to Rogue One but i really like most of them. I was pretty excited to watch this as i like Ron Howard films. Movie never really got me immersed, its probably because its Han Solo w/ no lightsabers/force abilities. The space battle was too short. The pacing was just too fast, wish they would have slowed it down a bit and got to know some of the characters from the crew. Maybe more of Han growing up or how he met the Dragon bitch. Also the feminist robot was annoying...Still there a lot of easter eggs/ reference to watch for. I might watch it again ust for that.

Predator - Like the cast and the crew cracked me up. Just a fun film all around. Its good for a one time watch.

The Salvation - Wow this has been on my backlog for a long time & finally watched it. Its a classic western but man if only they would have an Unforgiven type finale would have been sweet.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cant wait to see your 1/2 scale Predator figure that you bought for $2500.

Upgrade is is pretty dope though.

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Mandy. What a trippy film. Apparently its either a love it or hate it film. I absolutely loved it. The first hour was a slow burner, I got no problem with that. The style and visuals had me hooked. The last hour was a terrific grindhouse slaughter fest. Nicholas fucking Cage.

Edit: I forgot: Cheddar goblins.

Upgrade. Went into this blind. Had only seen the red band trailer. What a pleasent surprise. Loved it.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Redline, the 2010 anime. The ending makes me so sad every time I see it, because I will never give as much effort as the heroes did to win. It's something to strive towards.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just watched... Leave No Trace...

It was a good moving film... about a War Vet with ptsd who can't adapt to normal life...

The acting was good.. understated but effective...

I enjoyed it...

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just watched... Leave No Trace...

It was a good moving film... about a War Vet with ptsd who can't adapt to normal life...

The acting was good.. understated but effective...

I enjoyed it...

xROTx

I don’t give a fuck about PTSD. It has been explored too much in film and tv.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I don’t give a fuck about PTSD. It has been explored too much in film and tv.

It was a nice film...

The summary was just what it was... I could say.. "Avengers Thanos Infinity Shite part 2... LOTS OF ACTION... IMPLAUSIBLE ENDING... BAD GUY GETS GOT!.. SETS UP NEW WAVE OF MARVEL FRANCHISE"...

xROTx

PS. Why so worried... relax...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
In preparation for going to Halloween Horror Nights this week, we watched Trick R' Treat for the 372nd time last night. It's slowly grown in popularity in the ten years since it came out and with good reason. It's a genuinely great anthology movie set around Halloween with multiple interweaving stories. The story with the kids picking on the aspie girl drags a little (but it could just be that I hate kids). Otherwise, it has a lot of great character actors doing good work including Dylan Baker, the great Brian Cox and the fat kid from Bad Santa and Sam (the spirit of Halloween) is the best horror icon of the last 20 years.

Plus it's a hair over 80 minutes long. Perfect movie to watch on Halloween or as part of an October marathon. Can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention that I watched The Predator last week with the wife.

God, what utter shit. I'm just glad the first movie is the only one I care about.

Shane Black needs to stick to a very specific type of film and story. He isn't good at anything else.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It was a nice film...

The summary was just what it was... I could say.. "Avengers Thanos Infinity Shite part 2... LOTS OF ACTION... IMPLAUSIBLE ENDING... BAD GUY GETS GOT!.. SETS UP NEW WAVE OF MARVEL FRANCHISE"...

xROTx

PS. Why so worried... relax...

You would be right about Avengers. Who ducking bothers with superhero movies anymore?

But I do worry about you.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You would be right about Avengers. Who ducking bothers with superhero movies anymore?

But I do worry about you.

No need to worry about me tbh...

I watch a LOT of films over the year... I just tell it how it is man...

For example just watched HOLD THE DARK.... It's another Netflix release...

I found it Violent... didn't make any fuckin' sense... and up it's own arse a bit...

xROTx

PS. I didn't even bother to link the wiki profile cuz it's that shit...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shane Black needs to stick to a very specific type of film and story. He isn't good at anything else.

Maybe he should stick to writing. I just peeked at his filmography and he's written a lot of great movies, but none of the movies he's directed that I've seen have been great.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Anthropoid- Cillian Murphy and a couple other dudes I recognize are Czech paratroopers working for the resistance that drop into Germany to assassinate a German general.(the guy that masterminded the final solution) I won't spoil anything but it was much better than I thought and is based on a true story. They kill a surprising amount of Nazis, it's fairly brutal overall but well done.

Splice- Adrian Brody and Sarah Polly are geneticists that secretly create a new lifeform and everything goes horribly wrong. Despite some janky CG it's pretty good and quite disturbing.

Lowriders- I watched this because it had one of the guys from Sons of Anarchy. Not a total waste of time but eh.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I went to watch "A simple Favor" at the pics yesterday, Really enjoyed it!
Lots of twists and turns you pretty much know whats going to happen at the start but the journey to get to it was pretty crazy.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
In preparation for going to Halloween Horror Nights this week, we watched Trick R' Treat for the 372nd time last night. It's slowly grown in popularity in the ten years since it came out and with good reason. It's a genuinely great anthology movie set around Halloween with multiple interweaving stories. The story with the kids picking on the aspie girl drags a little (but it could just be that I hate kids). Otherwise, it has a lot of great character actors doing good work including Dylan Baker, the great Brian Cox and the fat kid from Bad Santa and Sam (the spirit of Halloween) is the best horror icon of the last 20 years.

Plus it's a hair over 80 minutes long. Perfect movie to watch on Halloween or as part of an October marathon. Can't recommend it enough.

This. Trick R' Treat is great, a lot of fun. Perfect for Halloween.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Trick R Teat fucking is awesome.

This time of year I always throw it in as well as The Burning, Nightmare 3, Texas Chainsaw 2 and The Tales From the Crypt movies.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
cheers terry, Splice sounds like a good movie to check out, did you fap to it? no homo

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Continuing down the Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In marathon (coming back for Thanksgiving and Xmas... woooo!), watched The Prowler last night. The first actual dud in the bunch. Slasher flick set in New Jersey with a crazy WWII vet murdering 30-year-old teenagers because PTSD and his sweetheart wouldn't wait around for him after the war. <shrug>

The kills were well executed from an effects perspective and were probably interesting in 1981 but they're just lame now, the pre-requisite twist is more Scooby Doo ending than a twist and there's nothing interesting about the premise or any of the characters. Just a generic slasher where we're supposed to be impressed because the killer's primary weapon is a pitchfork. I have a general fondness for dumb slasher movies and can usually find something to like in an otherwise stinker but even with Joe Bob's riffing, I was largely bored.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The First Purge - a little heavy on the allegories and more of a Die Hard movie than a Purge movie for much of its run time, but it's alright once the violence ramps up in the second half. Making the protagonist Nino Brown with a heart of gold was more than a little silly, IMO.