Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Bobak said:
Persepolis: Amazing. I don't know what to think now... I loved Ratatouille, but this is just as amazing an animated feature, only in a completely different style (its based on the excellent graphic novels, it's in no way aimed at kids). This should probably win the Best Animated Film Oscar, but might lose because its going up against Pixar/Disney.

Marjane Satrapi's created something that's both personal and epic, funny and tragic... it's one of the best movies I've seen all year. I saw it with my parents, and they're tough customers (esp. my dad); they also loved it. I can't wait to see it again when it reaches the Twin Cities, I'm going to drag as many people as I can with me.

It's an autobiography of the writer's time in Iran and as an expat. This may also be the best movie made about the Iranian Revolution and subsequent, massive clusterfuck ever made (needless to say, this is banned in Iran). The visual style is different --it's almost like a shadow play; the music and visuals really do a great job. This is a crazy year for movies, because I think both Persepolis and Ratatouille should be nominated for Best Picture, not just Animated film. Persepolis might win Best Foreign Film. It affected me more than any movie this year.

5/5, a must see.

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/persepolis/persepolis_lg.html

I've seen this graphic novel many times in the bookstore, but never felt the urge to thumb through it due to its subdued cover. I will have to check it out. Looking forward to watching the movie too.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I am going to see Cloverfield in about half an hour. I hope it doesn't suck.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
jackass 2 -- this was on hbo and I came in at the end of the movie, however I came in during the final sketch without knowing beforehand that it was all faked.

for a few minutes, that was the coolest shit ever.
i wasn't watching a skit, i was watching the biggest fucking dickhead being held up at gunpoint by a taxi guy.
however, i soon realized "hey..that's jay chandrasekhar".

i'm really glad I came in at a late time.
whoever thought telling the audience it was a fake at the beginning was a moron.
thankfully my experience was untainted.

anyways it was pretty good. second best part was when pontius drank it.
not as good as the first one.
i loved how bam margera felt burned out. the entire time i got this vibe from bam that felt like 'i hate my life', so satisfying.

i'm curious what happened to rake yohn.
guy was always a huge pussy and crazyass so i guess it shouldn't be unexpected he wouldn't be in it.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i bought feeling minnesota since it was a fiver at walmart.
vincent d'nofrio basically played drunk the whole movie even when he
wasn't drinking, and keanu a putz being sexually manipulated by cameron diaz.
1 star out of 5.
not worth my lunch off the dollar menu.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Finally saw There Will Be Blood and I'm left with mixed feelings. Good story and I thought DDL was fantastic, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the movie as a whole. I started losing some interest, but luckily very end was quite satisfying.

Separate issue, but can I just vent on how freaking tired I am of seeing the trailer for "In Bruges". God almighty, I hated the trailer the first time and it's like I see it every time I'm at the theaters now. I hate it and I know nothing about Bruges but this trailer is making me hate it. :mad: :crying:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is it just me or did 3:10 to yuma go from awesome to suck fast?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
GunstarHero said:
I have a recommendation: Mother Night
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117093/

I'm really tired of WWII movies, which is why I'm not exactly thrilled about seeing Atonement. Mother Night however is different and artsy enough to be worthwhile for someone seeking a non-typical WWII flick, there aren't any combat scenes, it's virtually all dialogue.

Raspy voiced Nick Nolte gets suckered into being a spy for the Americans during the War as a Tokyo Rose type character. His character has a strange duality. As someone working for the Nazi's, he's required to broadcast Jew hate on his radio program, but in these 30 minute long anti-Jew diatribes contains a secret code (deciphered by certain words and pronunciations of words) that allegedly helps the Allies.

He has a shitty life, you should watch it. Great performance by Nolte, along with a nice little appearance by John Goodman in a serious role.

Movie was good.
Book was better..

But it's probably the best Vonnegut adaptation I've ever seen.

I think you could do "Sirens or Titan" or "Hocus Pocus" even better.

aria

Former Moderator
Michael Clayton: They've re-released it to some theaters, and I'm glad because (1) I had been meaning to see it before the Oscar nomination and, more importantly, (2) the movie turned out to be excellent. The story really worked, it involves people acting badly in fairly believable ways --the writer/director deserves major props for the screenplay (which did get an Oscar nomination...and for direction). Incidentally, this is the same writer from the Bourne movies. Although there isn't much traditional "action", the movie keeps up the pressure as people make decision that often have enormous ramnifications. The three main actors earned their nominations, though I feel Clooney is not going to win against this year's competition; Tom Wilkinson (who I still remember in The Full Monty) gets to play the crazy guy that reminded me a bit of Peter Finch in Network (but more the character is more believable in this movie). Tilda Swinton was good, but her role felt a bit short. This is a movie where the plot carries the movie, at least it did to me. People in corporate law rarely do things this stupid, but for what it is --it's a reasonable portrayal in a plot that should be interesting for everyone.

5/5

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I finally saw Good Shepherd. Good, not great. "Godfather of espionage movies"? Eh.

Entertaining, although the structure is a bit of a mess and they did a horrible job of conveying the aging process of Matt Damon, which needlessly muddled the narrative as the movie jumps back and forth randomly between multiple eras. Damon is completely wooden throughout, although it seems to have been intentional for the character. I kept waiting for any of the supporting cast to be fleshed out to compensate for that, but no go.

I guess my expectations were too high. 2.5 out of 5.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
30 Days of Night was SO COOL.

And I usually hate horror movies. This one's different, I assure you.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I keep meaning to read the comic. I agree it's a great premise, though.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
- Cloverfield
This was just released down here -- saw it yesterday and loved it, like a huge adrenaline rush. I personally tend to be very empathic with movies and the feelings they communicate, so by the end of this film I felt terribly anxious, drained, and somewhat shocked.

I loved it.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Death Sentence-I really like Kevin Bacon but I couldn't get into this. The action is pretty good through out and I do respect the fact that they didn't sugar coat the ending. (I saw the unrated, so I am guessing the endings are the same) 5/10

Invasion-I am a huge fan of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland) so I thought I would give this a shot. I actually thought a lot of what they did was good. I mean the way the virus was spread made sense and how they transformed was more realistic. However, this move lost most of the tension of the previous version and had a total shit, everything's fine ending. 4/10

The Brave One (Jodi Foster) I was a little worried about watching this as I had just seen Death Sentence and knew they were similar. This movie is well acted and plays out very nice. Terrance Howard does a great job and helps pull the movie together. This movie has a real Death Wish feeling about it and it works. 7.5/10

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Tales from the Crypt presents Demon Knight -- haven't seen this one in YEARS. I was disappointed by it when I was 7, but now that I'm not as infatuated with the series as I was back then, it was a pleasant surprise. Real great cast; Dick Miller, Jada Pinkett (who looks fucking HOT in this movie), and Billy Zane in a fantastic performance.

Thomas Haden Church with surfer dude hair is just wrong on so many levels, though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Pirates: At Worlds End- Seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen. At almost 3 hrs. long to. Fucking horse shit for real. 1.5/10 a waste of time would be putting lightly.

Neighbor #13- Eh this one seriously had some potential but failed to actually take it anywhere. 4/10

Paprika- I had seen some clips from this at a friends house a while ago seemed OK but dissapointing considering it's a Satoshi Kon film. The end product was a fucking mess, still it looked pretty good. 5.5/10

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Punisher Blu Ray - Story is bad, the video quality is DVD. It's not worth getting on BD. Travolta is not a cool bad guy anymore. Hasn't been since he was Castor Troy. The movie would have been a lot better if it started after the death of Castle's family. Like Ghostrider, it was a failure.

3:10 To Yuma BD - excellent story. I agree with the reviews that its one of the best westerns since Unforgiven. The video quality was also excellent. The conflict between good and evil was nicely blurred with bad lawmen and human badguys. Bale is emaciated in the movie, which leads me to this that with his drastic gains and losses in weight he'll probably have a heart attack and die by 50.

Letters From Iwo Jima BD - also had excellent video quality and the story was good too. Despite being a long movie, it could have been longer without losing my interest. Letters was very unbiased in the presentation of the Pacific war, but at the same time, explored the depths of humanity in an army that knew it was going to get crushed. Kind of like 300, but you're not cheering for the Japanese like you would for the Spartans. They're not super human with great abs, but very human, very misinformed by their government, and used like toilet paper in a vain battle. Not nearly as sad as Grave of the Fireflies, but still depressing.

Electric Cake

Kula's Candy
the old punisher is much cooler, more darker.
what do you guys think of fist of fury. That scene in the japanese school. Bruce lee kickked some ass there:buttrock:

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Across the Universe - a big lolfest. If you wanna hear bad, überdramatic covers of Beatles songs, go for it. I left halfway thru. The girlfriend still liked it and asked for the deluxe edition as a Valentines gift, so yer mileage may vary.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Crank- Badass, period.

JS has redeemed himself from the crapfest that was Transporter 2.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched 'The Brave One' last night. What a chunk of shit. Good cast and good shots here and there, but the story is a complete mess. Even with such a by-the-numbers concept, they could have made something good out of it. Disappointing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Terry330 said:
Crank- Badass, period.

JS has redeemed himself from the crapfest that was Transporter 2.
I just found out they're making a Crank 2, which picks up right where 1 left off.

Hollywood needs more of these movies.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I've recently watched No Country for Old Men (amazing, one of the best movies I've ever watched), There Will Be Blood (if Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win the Oscar for this it will be the crime of the century) and Cloverfield (entertaining, probably wouldn't stand up to repeated viewings however).