Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
You Were Never Really Here - Joaquin Phoenix makes a pretty good hitman, turns out. Dude comes across as quite imposing for being 5'8". Really good, but a little too reliant on style at a few points, kind of reminded me of Drive at a few parts.

Ghost Stories - basically an anthology horror movie with a very underwhelming method of tying everything together. The three separate stories were all very well-made, then the ending looked like it was going to be really intriguing and then it actually hit and no... not even close. Still worth watching, just kind anticlimactic at the end.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - Pretty funny and a cool throwback to Land of the Lost style techniques. The intro animation was incredible. Looks like a pretty early example of rotoscoping.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - Pretty funny and a cool throwback to Land of the Lost style techniques. The intro animation was incredible. Looks like a pretty early example of rotoscoping.
Loved that flick as a kid. I remember watching it several times with friends and sinking quarters into the arcade games at the movies. I also remember watching the Batman 89 trailer beforehand.

"OH I get it, French class!"

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - The intro animation was incredible. Looks like a pretty early example of rotoscoping.
I didn't know Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was made circa 1915. I thought it was much later than that. Like in the '80s or something.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I didn't know Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was made circa 1915. I thought it was much later than that. Like in the '80s or something.

Err, rotoscoping in the sense of creating a computer animation and drawing over that, not drawing over film footage.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Ok, so I watched Vanilla Sky the night that I said I was going to. Just getting around to posting about it now.

It was good. I paid attention to the whole movie this time. Its definitely a movie that I look forward to watching a 2nd and 3rd time in order to appreciate some things they did in regard to the true plot. I need to read about the alternative endings, and I ordered a copy of Open Your Eyes/Abre los ojos to watch as well.

Another movie that I just saw last night in theater: Mandy

Anyone seen it? Nicolas Cage. My friend took me to it intentionally without telling me what it was called or what it was (my favorite way to view a movie personally) and wow. Very interesting horror film.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Gonna try to see it this weekend. It's only in one theater around here, which is weird, since there are 6 or 7 indie theaters within a half hour drive.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Downloading Mandy in 1080p now (It's out on certain sites ;))... Thanks for the heads up...

xROTx

PS. Just watched... a Documentary about Garbo The Spy...

I'd recommend it... VERY interesting...

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Weird coincidence, one of the characters in Mandy is a Black Sabbath fan and wears a Sabbath t-shirt in parts of the movie. When my friend came to pick me up I was blasting Black Sabbath and wearing my Black Sabbath shirt (got hit by a heavy metal bus this past weekend...) and I had no clue. He was like, "Oh my god..., no I'll tell you later lol" . Some coincidence!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Weird coincidence, one of the characters in Mandy is a Black Sabbath fan and wears a Sabbath t-shirt in parts of the movie. When my friend came to pick me up I was blasting Black Sabbath and wearing my Black Sabbath shirt (got hit by a heavy metal bus this past weekend...) and I had no clue. He was like, "Oh my god..., no I'll tell you later lol" . Some coincidence!

You need to get out more... Just putting it out there...

xROTx

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
well, the character in question also bares physical similarities to me and I haven't listened to Black Sabbath in a long time, thats why it felt like a coincidence. You know very well that I get out too much , fucka :)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah I’ve got Mandy on the radar for this weekend, hopefully when the kids go down. I’m really looking forward to it.

I watched Upgrade last weekend and thought it was great. Perhaps not as kinetic or OTT as I had imagined but I didn’t have a problem with what it was or the twist. Great effort from a fellow Aussie Leigh Whannel. I hope he continues directing and not just living off the royalties of the Saw franchise.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Knightriders Poster.jpg

Just watched Knightriders again.

It is a wholly unique movie. There will likely never be another movie remotely similar.

This film was remarkably ahead of its time in so many ways. George Romero was a fucking gift to cinema, a visionary creator.

I used to think what a shame it was that less skilled and ambitious hacks cannibalized his works and succeeded in ways he never could because Hollywood isn't about original ideas.

Now I think his renegade iconoclasm made him all the more special.

This is brilliant film making on so many levels.

Goddammit, George. Haunt anyone that ever tries to remake this.

Top marks. 5/5.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’ve never seen Knightriders. I’ve been meaning to for years but just never got around to it. I’m bumping it up my TWP (to watch pile).

I’m currently watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) with my kids and I am getting a massive nostalgia trip. I haven’t seen this in probably 25 years. My kids are loving it, especially the songs. As a family film it still stands up today. Gene Wilder owns the screen, he was an amazing actor and pretty funny in this. His apathetic pleas to the children before their perilous demise are subtle and made me laugh; completely lost on the children though. And his final speech. The boat scene is also completely inappropriate for a G rated film - centipede crawling across a man’s face, lizards eating insects, a chicken getting beheaded...

It’s about time I rewatched Young Frankenstein, See No Evil Hear No Evil and Stir Crazy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
View attachment 51680

Just watched Knightriders again.

It is a wholly unique movie. There will likely never be another movie remotely similar.

This film was remarkably ahead of its time in so many ways. George Romero was a fucking gift to cinema, a visionary creator.

I used to think what a shame it was that less skilled and ambitious hacks cannibalized his works and succeeded in ways he never could because Hollywood isn't about original ideas.

Now I think his renegade iconoclasm made him all the more special.

This is brilliant film making on so many levels.

Goddammit, George. Haunt anyone that ever tries to remake this.

Top marks. 5/5.

Here is your original Knightriders review from September 8, 2011, which in turn inspired me to rent it:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...&p=3245063&highlight=knightriders#post3245063

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Here is your original Knightriders review from September 8, 2011, which in turn inspired me to rent it:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...&p=3245063&highlight=knightriders#post3245063

It's interesting that my views on the film in 2011 still hold up today. If anything, as my state of mind has transitioned from one of arrested development to one of accepting the impermanence of my own mortality (i.e. I'm feeling my age more and more), I've only developed a deeper spiritual outlook on those thoughts and opinions.

I could always write a 'better' review of this film than the one I did seven years ago, but I think that we get a bit too much into deconstruction and viewing the world through a post-modern lens. Especially on the internet, which is cynical and Nietzcheian to the point of laughable parody.

Wanna know why I'm still here at this site?

Watch Knightriders. If you still can't understand, then you never will.

It's the greatest of art, in my opinion. Reconstructing a simple and spiritually wholesome dream out of the bleak nihilism that comes with the passing of time and making it real, no matter whether others understand it or not.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Wife was out of town last week so I watched a couple of movies.

Ocean's 8 - Meh. The Ocean's remake movies have always been empty calories and competent "what a tweest!" popcorn munchers but this seemed particularly empty and toothless. George Clooney's group at least made mistakes occasionally and had broad, snarling villains. The only actual twist in this movie is presented with all of the pomp of a magician saying "is this your card?" in Steven Wright's voice and then immediately walking off stage. Actually Steven Wright doing a magic act would be way more interesting than this.

The Last Shift - Fun little haunted house movie with a smidge of Hellraiser thrown in for good measure. Rookie cop gets the titular last shift before a police station closes down and apparently they're closing the police station cause it's haunted by the SPOOKY ghosts of a weirdo death cult. Kind of peters out at the end but it's amusing.

Also watched the 5+ hour Friday the 13th documentary Crystal Lake Memories over the span of two days. It's thorough as shit (even covers FvJ and the remake) and I learned several things I didn't know about F13 but five hours is a LOT to ask to watch middle-aged bad actors talk about the time they were in a corny slasher flick. It's like a really really long DVD extra. I enjoyed the Elm Street documentary Never Sleep Again made by the same people a lot more but that might just be because I've always had more of an affinity for the Nightmare series. Plus it went in more varied, interesting places.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The Last Shift - Fun little haunted house movie with a smidge of Hellraiser thrown in for good measure. Rookie cop gets the titular last shift before a police station closes down and apparently they're closing the police station cause it's haunted by the SPOOKY ghosts of a weirdo death cult. Kind of peters out at the end but it's amusing.

I saw this at a Halloween all nighter back in 2014. It was one of the last films, so came on about 5am when everyone was pretty tired but it was such a surprise. It really woke everyone up and was so much fun. I haven't watched it since, because I don't think it will live up to that experience, but I might need to finally give it another go.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I saw this at a Halloween all nighter back in 2014. It was one of the last films, so came on about 5am when everyone was pretty tired but it was such a surprise. It really woke everyone up and was so much fun. I haven't watched it since, because I don't think it will live up to that experience, but I might need to finally give it another go.

It's OK - there are definitely much worse horror movies on Netflix. I was turned off by the cover art, but my friend recommended it and it turned out to be decent and not as hacky as the art made it look.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So I watched Mandy since it's seemingly all anyone wants to talk about right now. Tried to go in with as little information ahead of time as possible which is always preferable. All I knew was that it was a horror movie heavy on style and that Nic Cage goes full Nic Cage.

It was a lot of fun and I recommend that anyone who enjoys revenge movies and/or goofy Nic Cage performances give it a shot. There were multiple times in the movie where it was desperately trying to swerve in to the "self-indulgent nonsense" tree (Nicholas Winding Refn Syndrome) but it always seemed to right the car with some bizarre choice to keep me interested. It has a couple of great Nic Cage moments (bathroom scene, final scene) and a couple of bonkers sequences that any fan of horror will love. I didn't love it but it's totally worth watching as long as you have the patience to sit through some of the drawn out film student masturbation scenes early on.

Never thought I'd see something that invokes Heavy Metal in 2018.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I Heart HuckabeesIf you've never had a legit mental crisis you'll talk doo doo. Naomi Watts is hot.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
So I watched Mandy since it's seemingly all anyone wants to talk about right now. Tried to go in with as little information ahead of time as possible which is always preferable. All I knew was that it was a horror movie heavy on style and that Nic Cage goes full Nic Cage.

It was a lot of fun and I recommend that anyone who enjoys revenge movies and/or goofy Nic Cage performances give it a shot. There were multiple times in the movie where it was desperately trying to swerve in to the "self-indulgent nonsense" tree (Nicholas Winding Refn Syndrome) but it always seemed to right the car with some bizarre choice to keep me interested. It has a couple of great Nic Cage moments (bathroom scene, final scene) and a couple of bonkers sequences that any fan of horror will love. I didn't love it but it's totally worth watching as long as you have the patience to sit through some of the drawn out film student masturbation scenes early on.

Never thought I'd see something that invokes Heavy Metal in 2018.
good review, i agree

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'm a fan of Stanley Tucci, so I just watched Patient Zero.

I thought it was going to be a comedy (Stanley Tucci as the villain? What is this, Undercover Blues? I'm in.)

This movie is absolute shit. Unfinished, misguided and terribly directed/written. It's basically a zombie movie, but mixed with a little of the Smith version of I am Legend, where the monsters are a new species that aren't just monsters.

In one scene, a soldier is fighting Tucci's character, and loses him in a small room. He loses a zombie, in a room that is maybe 12x12 and stalks him in the room, and is actually surprised by the zombie leaping out and attacking him.

Its ending makes no sense, and the eponymous Patient Zero is never found. I don't even think they set it up for a sequel. It just ended. Complete shit. Not even worth the download time I used.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

It was a lot of fun and I recommend that anyone who enjoys revenge movies and/or goofy Nic Cage performances give it a shot.

That's all I've ever wanted out of a movie.