Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I find the MI series to be a little too formulaic.

The first is the best because of two scenes - Ethan infiltrating that top secret room and helicopter in the train tunnel.

The second I remember literally nothing aside from the opening sequence when he's rock climbing.

The third is a great summer action flick and Philip Seymour Hoffman was an amazing villain.

Everything since 2006 has been bland and bland is terrible.

So, two good movies, everything else is terrible.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
First MI is vastly different from the rest in the series. It's a spy movie, not a balls-out action movie. Truer to the tv show, for whatever that's worth. 2 is the one they let John Woo make into a John Woo movie.

First one holds up really well today, 2 not so much.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Uhhhhg. Let it die... Last good Terminator was T2 - one of the greatest action movies of all time. Maybe THE greatest. Should've ended it there.

The last Terminator film was not bad, Not good but not bad.

Everything between T2 and that has been utter shit.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The last Terminator film was not bad, Not good but not bad.

Everything between T2 and that has been utter shit.

Genesys? That movie was dogshit. Khaleesi couldn't lick Linda Hamilton's combat boots.

I wouldn't mind getting one more Terminator movie with Linda Hamilton but if that Logan Paul looking motherfucker is supposed to be John Connor, just put the franchise out of its misery already. Arnold is in his 70s and its clear James Cameron is never coming back so just end it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Bring back Edward Furlong

Also, I didn’t realise that the buff chick was the actor out of Black Mirror.

2u4kfgz.jpg

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the same chick from Halt and Catch Fire as well.

Sword of Doom- Masterpiece. I don't want to spoil anything but if like old samurai movies and haven't seen this you are seriously missing out. I was digging through my old DVDs and came across the Criterion copy that I hadn't watched in maybe a decade.

Murder on the Orient Express (the one with Kenneth Brahnna) - Sucked ass. The older versions are much better and David Suchet will always be the best Poirot.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Bring back Edward Furlong

Also, I didn’t realise that the buff chick was the actor out of Black Mirror.

2u4kfgz.jpg

I just watched that episode a few weeks ago. Great stuff. It reminded me of Mulholland Drive without completely destroying my psyche.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sword of Doom- Masterpiece. I don't want to spoil anything but if like old samurai movies and haven't seen this you are seriously missing out. I was digging through my old DVDs and came across the Criterion copy that I hadn't watched in maybe a decade.

One of the best Chanbara films! Still waiting on a sequel!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I went and saw the 20th anniversary screening of The Big Lebowski tonight. I've probably seen that movie more than any other movie and it still does not get old. They're bringing Die Hard back to the theaters for the 30th in November. I missed that one the first time around.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I went and saw the 20th anniversary screening of The Big Lebowski tonight. I've probably seen that movie more than any other movie and it still does not get old. They're bringing Die Hard back to the theaters for the 30th in November. I missed that one the first time around.

Hell yeah, definitely in for that!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the big lebowski is one of my favourite movies of all time and my ultimate comfort movie.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
They're bringing Die Hard back to the theaters for the 30th in November. I missed that one the first time around.

Hell yeah.

They did this for the original "Jaws" a few years back.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I just watched that episode a few weeks ago. Great stuff. It reminded me of Mulholland Drive without completely destroying my psyche.

That episode started my daughter’s love for Belinda Carlisle.

Mulholland Drive is fantastic, but it’s a mind eater for sure.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The first is the best because of two scenes - Ethan infiltrating that top secret room and helicopter in the train tunnel.

The second I remember literally nothing aside from the opening sequence when he's rock climbing.

The third is a great summer action flick and Philip Seymour Hoffman was an amazing villain.

Everything since 2006 has been bland and bland is terrible.

So, two good movies, everything else is terrible.

Interesting. I barely remember anything from the first two. For me, the series picked up steam after the third movie and my favourites are Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation in that order. Not saying they are better movies than the first two, but I found those movies very enjoyable and memorable...it probably helps that they are on TV a lot too so I watch them often. I look for ward to watching the new movie sometime soon.

The action sequences in those movies are great IMO, specially in Ghost Protocol with the stuff going on in the hotel and then leading into the sand storm chase. Probably my favourite part of any MI movie.

Not exactly like MI, but also kind of a spy/action movie, I really like The Man From Uncle. The movie looks and sounds great and there is good chemistry between the cast. Too bad there hasn't been a sequel.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
One of the best Chanbara films! Still waiting on a sequel!

On what basis? SoD's ending leaves as much "hope" for a sequel, as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's last freeze frame while Ryunosuke's child is hardly worth as a cliffhanger. Just watch Throne of Blood instead ;).

fake

15 Year Member
That episode started my daughter’s love for Belinda Carlisle.

Mulholland Drive is fantastic, but it’s a mind eater for sure.

Oh man, depending on how old she is, you guys should watch GLOW. The soundtrack is amazing.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
On what basis? SoD's ending leaves as much "hope" for a sequel, as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's last freeze frame while Ryunosuke's child is hardly worth as a cliffhanger. Just watch Throne of Blood instead ;).

This was just the first act of suppose sequels. They didn't have enough funding to complete it. Would be neat to see maybe Takashi Miike doing a sequel or just remaking it and complete it. His samurai films are by far his best work.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Descent Part 2 - it was a pretty small release compared to the original, but there's a second Descent movie. Direct sequel, starts up two days after the end of the first one (the North American version's ending, not the vastly superior U.K. ending). Doesn't have Marshall's mastery of tension and place, but it was still alright. Boring set of characters other than one or two didn't help anything.

Cube, Cube Zero, and Cube 2: Hypercube - first one reminded me a little of Primer. Not on that level of quality, but as a a low-budget film with a lot of ambition that somehow mostly comes together. Acting in the first one is laughably bad, but it kind of fits the vibe of the movie. Zero is the best in the series, and it's a direct prequel to the first one. Hypercube is super weird and not that good.

First one and Zero both have a lot of similarities with Saw, and I think Cube actually released before Saw.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Oh man, depending on how old she is, you guys should watch GLOW. The soundtrack is amazing.

I'll keep that in mind for when she's older. Granted, she only caught the end of the Black Mirror episode, there's no way I'd let four year old watch that. ;)

The Descent Part 2 - it was a pretty small release compared to the original, but there's a second Descent movie. Direct sequel, starts up two days after the end of the first one (the North American version's ending, not the vastly superior U.K. ending). Doesn't have Marshall's mastery of tension and place, but it was still alright. Boring set of characters other than one or two didn't help anything.

Cube, Cube Zero, and Cube 2: Hypercube - first one reminded me a little of Primer. Not on that level of quality, but as a a low-budget film with a lot of ambition that somehow mostly comes together. Acting in the first one is laughably bad, but it kind of fits the vibe of the movie. Zero is the best in the series, and it's a direct prequel to the first one. Hypercube is super weird and not that good.

First one and Zero both have a lot of similarities with Saw, and I think Cube actually released before Saw.

Yeah, The Descent 2 was OK, absolutely nothing on the original, but it was OK for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Wow, The Cube, I have not seen that in years. I remember buying an original VHS when I visited London back in '98. Yes, the acting is bad, but what they achieve with what is likely a single set piece is amazing! Great sense of tension and isolation. I haven't seen any of the sequels, but I'm going to sought them out!

fake

15 Year Member
^ Haha, yeah if she's only 4, I'd wait another 12 years or so for GLOW.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched about 7 minutes of ready player one and I couldn't take it. Had to turn it off. Looked at my wife and asked if she minded, and she said she was so glad because it was giving her a headache.