Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Verónica. Pretty mediocre horror movie but the addendum is great. Shows photos from the crime scene and describes how this was the first case in Spain of the responding officers to have reported paranormal activity.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Annihilation

I really liked it. I know it was based on a series of novels so I'm not sure what liberties were taken and I don't care. This was a provocative movie that didn't pander and didn't beg for attention. In fact, the studio did just about everything they could to bury it but it is a very interesting film about the very idea of life. I feel it's a big screen movie but it is also a bit too cerebral for general audiences. Good performances all around, good effects and some legit eerie moments that were unsettling. A good example of the plot and characters informing the tension at just the right moments rather than demanding action beats every ten minutes. It's a shame that this was marketed like an Aliens style survival horror-action hybrid. It's not.

Just came back from seeing this. It was great. I think this was the last day for it's theatrical run, glad I didn't miss it. Had high expectations coming off of Ex-Machina and it delivered.

Unfortunately there were only about 5 people in the theater and they all talked the entire time trying to figure out what was going on. Had to literally stand up halfway through and tell the guy and his ugly ass GF next to me to "shut the fuck up" I hate people.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
I agree, the end was a little weak. I wish it ended with an "oh shit" moment. But I think it was at least alright, since it wasn't exactly a happy ending; she didn't really get her husband back.

Spoiler:
I'm fairly certain it's not her at the end of the movie. The scenes at the end were all told in reverse-the lifeform that assumed Natalie Portman's identity was the one trying to escape and Portman was trying to stop it. That was my interpretation, anyway.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Justice League - it was alright, if flawed. Mamoa and Miller are the clear standouts, IMO. Affleck is okay as Batman, maybe even pretty good, but this version of Batman is also incredibly boring. The Bale version had heart because of the way Nolan wrote him, I think, and that's what's missing now (looking back on it, I'd suggest that Bale himself was actually kind of overrated in the role).

Dumb villain. But then that's the case in 90% of superhero movies, so whatever. Bad/non-existent character arcs for Cyborg and Aquaman, in particular. Poor use of Wonder Woman, another character that Snyder/Whedon don't write well.

Better than Suicide Squad (not saying much).

i think bale was great in batman begins, but in the sequels it was always the villain that took the spotlight.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
1.jpg

One of the best animations I've ever seen. It's on Netflix right now.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Saw Black Panther last week. Not a great movie like Logan but a good comicbook/marvel movie. I think right now it is my top4 after ironman1,captain america winter soldier and avengers.

I liked specially those black panther juice dream sequences. Michael B Jordan was good bad guy but he seems to be kinda one dimensional actor. In every film he is this aggressive hothead.

SPOILER: It would have been more interesting plot when Michael arrives in Wakanda if he would have acted Black Panthers friend and then betray him at the end but no he just started fighting the second he arrived in Wakanda.

Last edited:

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
My in-depth critical analysis of shit I've seen over the last few months:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Loved it. It's gonna be one of those movies like Dredd, Con Air, Mad Max Fury Road that I'll watch every year and still get a kick out of it. 9/10.

Thor Ragnarok - I liked it. Better than the first two I guess. Jeff Goldblum was a good cast. 6.5/10.

Before I Wake - Pretty good. The ending was well done and made sense. 6/10.

Nails - Some low budget indie horror flick on Netflix. Surprisingly it's pretty good for what it is. Nothing innovative or new here but it was enjoyable. 6.5/10.

2010: The Year We Make Contact - Finally saw this one. Better than most say it is. No it's not as good as 2001, but what is? 8/10.
Spoiler:
The interaction with Hal and his creator near the end is a beautiful scene.

Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie - Loved the show as a kid. Gives a good closure. Don't want to spoil anything. 7/10.

Jigsaw - Decent. Nothing new. 5/10.

Cars 3 - Better than the second one, not as good as the first. Pixar has really gone downhill lately imo. 5/10.

Dolls (1987) - Scream Factory Blu-ray. Really enjoyable. Good humor and funny special effects. 8/10.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
A Taxi Driver - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6878038/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Really enjoyed this. Funny, drama, true story.

Saw that in theaters. Walked in, saw the poster (which made it look like a straight up comedy) so decided to watch it. Not going off anything other info other than the movie poster it was clearly not a straight up comedy, far from it actually. But it was a rather good film.

Week after that I watched Midnight Runners. If that's available for ya to watch you should give it a go mr koala

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Week after that I watched Midnight Runners. If that's available for ya to watch you should give it a go mr koala

On the to watch list, cheers bubz.

That is much better name btw...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Icaяus-
This is the movie about sports doping and the Russian doping scandal. It starts out as one man’s interest in learning how to cheat the system for bike racing, because he was friends with pro bikers affected by the Lance Armstrong fallout. This put him in touch with a Russian who headed the lab for anti doping. Russian guy is really cool and obviously a good guy, and helps the American director. But soon their relationship expands to exposing the massive doping in the Olympics, putting people’s lives literally at risk. It’s one of the best things on NFLX right now.

Annihilation-
A meteor hits the earth near a lighthouse and creates a weird shimmering atmosphere around the area. Natalie Portman plays an ex-military biologist whose military husband reappears long after a mission where he was thought to have died. Her husband doesn’t last long, and she gets recruited by a scientist to go into the area and investigate, as she’s a reputable biologist. Trippy movie at times, sadly did not take hallucinogenics before watching. This movie was released on NFLX outside of America, but in the US it went to the theaters.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Hitman's Bodyguard - Not gonna win any awards but this is the kind of B-level action movie that I miss from the Hollywood system. Straightforward premise, minimal frills. Just a flimsy excuse to put two fun actors on the same screen. Samuel L. Jackson says "mothafucka" a lot and Ryan Reynolds is sarcastic and frustrated for two hours. Plus a sneering little villain role for Gary Oldman. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Black Panther - I was going to wait and watch it at home but my family wanted to go to the movies and this was all they could agree on. It was good. Some strong world-building and interesting narrative choices for a superhero film. Also great to see underappreciated and up-and-coming black actors get the spotlight in a major tentpole movie. My enjoyment was probably helped because they weren't constantly referencing other characters and movies and largely told its own story. That said. like all of the other Marvel movies, the action scenes are bland and completely forgettable and the minor characters all blend together once the fighting starts. Also, it might just be me but Chadwick Boseman just seemed completely outclassed whenever doing a scene with someone like Michael B Jordan/Angela Bassett/Forrest Whitaker/etc. Not sure if he's a mediocre actor (I haven't seen the wave of biographies he did before this) or if that's just the way the character was written (flat and largely non-emotive).

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
threads. (1984)
a film in the style of a documentary, highlighting the chain of effects of..... :D
prpapganda and fearmongering at it's finest, a sign of the coming times.
even thatcher was shot down in irl talks regarding russia's nuclear capacity, that optimistically speaking, six nukes woukd be enough to render uk uninhabitable for eons to come. :(

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’m looking forward to Annihilation. I only just recently watched Ex Machina and I though it was great!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Atomic Blonde- On par with the John Wick films in terms of action and style, surprising amount of nudity as well.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
Xtro. (1982)
did my head right in when i first saw this gem much later into the nineties.
recall it like i watched the film moments ago. (was blitzed. world went B&W and in 2D because of this nightmare fuel. one of the army squaddies walked me home, i was rigid as a robot.)
action man and black cats take on a whole new meaning here, not to mention rubber clown mallets and yoghurt. :spock:

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Xtro. (1982)
recall it like i watched the film moments ago. (was blitzed. world went B&W and in 2D because of this nightmare fuel. one of the army squaddies walked me home, i was rigid as a robot.)
action man and black cats take on a whole new meaning here, not to mention rubber clown mallets and yoghurt. :spock:

KD1hdYA.gif

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Ravenous (Les affamés) - kind of a restrained take on the zombie genre. Pretty good, one of the better Netflix originals I've seen.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Xtro. (1982)

Now watch the sequel.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Insidious: The Last Key - is a movie. A boring movie, that really doesn't need to exist. Long time ago, Leigh Wannell could write a fun movie, not so much these days.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Downsizing with Matt Damon. Kind of a slow, contemplative movie. Covers some interesting social/political ground. Not groundbreaking by any means, but surprisingly decent and thoughtful. I'll never watch it again, but a nice change of pace from super hero movies and the like.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Insidious: The Last Key - is a movie. A boring movie, that really doesn't need to exist. Long time ago, Leigh Wannell could write a fun movie, not so much these days.

I liked this movie...

TBH... I liked the whole Insidious and The Conjuring film series...

meh... Not much bloodshed... and I get a few cheap thrills...

Story of my life tbh...

xROTx

PS. ON Topic... just watched... The Post... it was slow and a waste of acting talent...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I enjoyed both of the Conjuring movies, but I also have a thing for Vera Farminga. Probably the only way I could stand to watch all of Bates Motel.

Rewatched Righting Wrongs- how are Yuen Biao and Cynthia Rothrock so underrated?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Been going on a Stallone binge with the family. Kids never watched his films and they are having a blast.

We watched all Rambo even the last one, man that movie was so brutal. Probably the last great american hardcore action film. If only they ended the film with the Long Road song would have been perfect.

Rocky 1-3 - Such great films, i think 2 is probably my favorite now. Clubber Lang is the king of trash talking, he was awesome fool! Didn't care for the wifey oogling Carl Weathers in his crop top.

Over the Top - Easily the best arm wrestling movie ever. Such a great feel good 80s film.

Cliffhanger - Great intro but the rest movie was pretty boring & lot of stupid stuff happening. I like Michael Rooker in this.

Probably going to finish off Rocky this week, then Demolition Man.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I liked this movie...

TBH... I liked the whole Insidious and The Conjuring film series...

meh... Not much bloodshed... and I get a few cheap thrills...

Story of my life tbh...

xROTx

PS. ON Topic... just watched... The Post... it was slow and a waste of acting talent...
The Conjuring is a good series, no doubt, with even the Annabelle spinoffs being okay (especially the second one).

I had forgotten that Patrick Wilson was in the first couple Insidious movies, dude apparently likes working on genre stuff with Saw creators.