Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
"Valerian and the city of a thousand planets" Huge dissapointment. Spectacle without substance. Even dissregarding the comics it wasn't a pleasant watch.
The further I get away from when I watched it in the theater, the harder I think it sucks. And I thought it sucked when I left the theater.

A giant bag of clichès wrapped around one or two decent sci fi moments. Couple that with the two leads who weren't that interesting, and had no fucking chemistry whatsoever, and you've got a two and a half hour+ bore fest.

I'll give this movie one more chance in a year or two, when it hits Netflix or one of the other streaming services, but I'm sure I'll come away with the same opinion.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Silence- It was interesting... I don't know.
In a Valley of Violence- Ti West is a guilty pleasure so I enjoyed it a lot.
The Crazies(remake)- Eh.
Hell or High Water- Solid. Ben Foster should be more well known.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Silence- It was interesting... I don't know.
In a Valley of Violence- Ti West is a guilty pleasure so I enjoyed it a lot.
The Crazies(remake)- Eh.
Hell or High Water- Solid. Ben Foster should be more well known.

i wanted to see silence, but after watching some clips of andrew garfiald's acting, i thought there's no way i could take the movie seriously. his italian accent was one of the worst things i've seen in a movie in the recant years.

but hell or high water is one of the best movies i've seen in years. and i completely agree that ben foster is very underrated. and i still listen to the soundtrack to hell or high water on the regular.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think he's supposed to be Spanish or Portuguese but yeah, just terrible. Cinematography was fantastic though. I just don't understand why Scorsese made it.

Ben Foster is amazing in 3:10 to Yuma and Alpha Dog.

i wanted to see silence, but after watching some clips of andrew garfiald's acting, i thought there's no way i could take the movie seriously. his italian accent was one of the worst things i've seen in a movie in the recant years.

but hell or high water is one of the best movies i've seen in years. and i completely agree that ben foster is very underrated. and i still listen to the soundtrack to hell or high water on the regular.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I think he's supposed to be Spanish or Portuguese but yeah, just terrible. Cinematography was fantastic though. I just don't understand why Scorsese made it.

Ben Foster is amazing in 3:10 to Yuma and Alpha Dog.

i was actually going mention his role in 3:10 to yuma. he was my favourite character in the whole thing, which is saying a lot because the movie had a great cast with great performances.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The little girl who lives down the lane
I watched it because of twin peaks, and despite the pg rating,there was a shocking nudity scene with Jodie Foster, who was 14 at the time. The story is okay though. Not thrilling. Bleak. Explores the question of how old should someone be to be treated as a human. If you loved Let the Right One In, then you will like this I guess.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
amazeballs
best Batman actor so far... NOT best Batman movie, but I'll say 2nd or 3rd.
Superman is weird
Made me wish those scenes with Superman having his own military was real. Also reminded me of Cobra.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spider-Man Homecoming - IMO it's like 2 movie studios wrote the scripts. Marvel did the story and action scenes with the Vulture (minus the plot twist because that reeked Sony) and Sony did the rest. The Marvel side had a lot of good quality with a few questionable scenes, while the Sony side had a few decent moments with lots of questionable content. 6 out of 10

Is this the only post about Homecoming? Jesus.

Just saw it last night. Great movie. Actors look like high school kids. Worst part is the beginning with Spidey recording everything. Keaton was fantastic, and not evil. Best superhero movie I've seen in years. The decisions Spidey makes is what makes him a hero - he's 15 years old, has a crush on a girl, could absolutely use that to his advantage but doesn't. He makes the right decisions, and right decisions are usually the hard decisions, which separates heroes from the average joe. Even given multiple chances to hook up with his crush, the film ends sadly for her.

Watching superhero movies in recent years has become more of a 'well, I liked comic books when I was 10, so why not' instead of 'oh wow gee whiz a comic book movie I can't wait!' kind of deal, which it was when I was a young teenager. but this doesn't disappoint.

There are certainly things nerds can pick apart - 8 years after the first Avengers? Has it been that long? How can Vulture become so proficient and how can his garbage disposal company get so good at creating alien technology with weapons...yeah, fuck it, I don't care this time, because the character of Spiderman shines through so well. Shit, I really liked this, much to my surprise.

One minor complaint...what the fuck with that 'slaves built the washington monument' thing...come the fuck on.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Reflecting Skin

It's about a poor rural family in late 1940's America whose youngest son becomes convinced that the slightly deranged English widow living nearby is a Vampire. The tragedy was laid on quite thick and in the end it was more irritating than sad, I wanted to give the selfish kid a good hiding. Visually amazing and a good score tho.

2,5/5

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wanted to give the selfish kid a good hiding.
Hi Late, I know you don't like me, but wtf does this mean. Like spank him with a belt? This is not common to hear in American English. Cheers, your pal -LS

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Is this the only post about Homecoming? Jesus.

Just saw it last night. Great movie. Actors look like high school kids. Worst part is the beginning with Spidey recording everything. Keaton was fantastic, and not evil. Best superhero movie I've seen in years. The decisions Spidey makes is what makes him a hero - he's 15 years old, has a crush on a girl, could absolutely use that to his advantage but doesn't. He makes the right decisions, and right decisions are usually the hard decisions, which separates heroes from the average joe. Even given multiple chances to hook up with his crush, the film ends sadly for her.

Watching superhero movies in recent years has become more of a 'well, I liked comic books when I was 10, so why not' instead of 'oh wow gee whiz a comic book movie I can't wait!' kind of deal, which it was when I was a young teenager. but this doesn't disappoint.

There are certainly things nerds can pick apart - 8 years after the first Avengers? Has it been that long? How can Vulture become so proficient and how can his garbage disposal company get so good at creating alien technology with weapons...yeah, fuck it, I don't care this time, because the character of Spiderman shines through so well. Shit, I really liked this, much to my surprise.

One minor complaint...what the fuck with that 'slaves built the washington monument' thing...come the fuck on.

Well, Vulture did have Phineas Mason as a part of his team, aka the Tinkerer who is known in the comics for making all kinds of crazy shit out of garbage, but I can see it straining credibility as they don't exactly make it clear that the guy has a near superhumanly intelligent guy on the payroll. Then again we did see Tony Stark make an Iron man suit in a goddamn cave out of garbage in the first Iron man

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Hi Late, I know you don't like me, but wtf does this mean. Like spank him with a belt? This is not common to hear in American English. Cheers, your pal -LS

A spanking, the kid's selfish love for his older brother got several people killed.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It, jumps scares aside it was pretty enjoyable. Glad they went with a hard R.

I don't know if it's just the theater we went to or if I'm just getting old but fucking A was it loud.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Watching a lot of 80s horror lately. Saw Death Spa in the beginning of September and loved it. Saw The Eliminator last weekend and thought the kills were great but the rest of the movie is meh...

Ip Man

15 Year Member
watched cool as ice recently and i don't really know what to say. i thought it was boring when i first watched it over twenty years ago, but now i think it's quite interesting in that it's definitely over the top stupid in every way, but it has that early 90's charm and i get a very 90's nickelodeon feel from it.

over all it's really bad, but in that it's so bad that it's good kind of way. got a lot of loughs form it and a lot of cringes to.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Arrival (2016): Now here's an ambitious mess of a movie, a place where everything feels like a slogan -- from phrases like 'what the hell is she doing' or 'are you dreaming in their language' to tedious political references and toilet-door philosophies of sorts like: if I give you a hammer, everything will be a nail for you.

Alien ships land on earth, apparently there's a team to research that phenomena. But where's the team? If there is one, why is it working in abiding candle-light darkness? Why is their workspace in a simplistic tent? Architecture can do better than that, so can film-making.

Visually we get a totally filtered, colorless, washed-out reality, which makes it hard to follow the emotions of the actors: they all look pale and frozen, even in the peaks of their expressions. That doesn't matter though, since we get close to zero background information about who they are anyway, so why should we care? I suppose the franco-canadian landscape à la My Retreat, the place where our heroine is comfortably living in a post-moderrn luxury shack out of her simple campus salary, is sufficient enough to tell us something about her life, about herself. Well, it is not.

But then again, to learn nothing really seems to be a keynote of Arrival, consequently we get to know nothing about those aliens, too. Did this film have to have aliens at all? It feels those pivotal messages could've come from anything, like a plain wall or a broken iPhone, without distracting the story by a bit.

I mean, those aliens, a sophisticated race, which does space travel like kids do tricycles, is unable to learn our language, but we, the mighty human race, armed with a magic marker and a corporate whiteboard, can learn theirs in a few months? This team can't even properly communicate with the world outside of their scientific tents, the public, so to speak, thus creating only more contrived sub-plots.

So, tl;dr, what do we get at the end of the day? Much ado about nothing? Yes, that and an anti-euthanasia statement. Sparse, but that's what the name Villeneuve stands for.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Arrival (2016): Now here's an ambitious mess of a movie, a place where everything feels like a slogan -- from phrases like 'what the hell is she doing' or 'are you dreaming in their language' to tedious political references and toilet-door philosophies of sorts like: if I give you a hammer, everything will be a nail for you.

Alien ships land on earth, apparently there's a team to research that phenomena. But where's the team? If there is one, why is it working in abiding candle-light darkness? Why is their workspace in a simplistic tent? Architecture can do better than that, so can film-making.

Visually we get a totally filtered, colorless, washed-out reality, which makes it hard to follow the emotions of the actors: they all look pale and frozen, even in the peaks of their expressions. That doesn't matter though, since we get close to zero background information about who they are anyway, so why should we care? I suppose the franco-canadian landscape à la My Retreat, the place where our heroine is comfortably living in a post-moderrn luxury shack out of her simple campus salary, is sufficient enough to tell us something about her life, about herself. Well, it is not.

But then again, to learn nothing really seems to be a keynote of Arrival, consequently we get to know nothing about those aliens, too. Did this film have to have aliens at all? It feels those pivotal messages could've come from anything, like a plain wall or a broken iPhone, without distracting the story by a bit.

I mean, those aliens, a sophisticated race, which does space travel like kids do tricycles, is unable to learn our language, but we, the mighty human race, armed with a magic marker and a corporate whiteboard, can learn theirs in a few months? This team can't even properly communicate with the world outside of their scientific tents, the public, so to speak, thus creating only more contrived sub-plots.

So, tl;dr, what do we get at the end of the day? Much ado about nothing? Yes, that and an anti-euthanasia statement. Sparse, but that's what the name Villeneuve stands for.

I have learned to hate Villeneuve’s movies. Sicario was shit. Arrival was a comedy.

Not sure why people are afraid to really speak their heart when they see his name.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

That's a pretty good post there Olly.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I too thought Arrival was a pretentious mess of a movie, but I did find it mostly visually appealing. That aside, the characters were mindnumbingly dull, which in turn defeated the purpose of having the unborn daughter plotline, since I wasn't at all emotionally invested in any way, shape or form.

The movie tries to send a certain message, but instead it falls into the usual pitfalls. Of course there's only one go to linguist in the US. And of course they visit that linguist, play a tape of a whale song and ask her if she can translate it. She can't, of course. I get it, because as a viewer, I'm not as retarded as US military apparently is.

They could have just as well played a tape of dogs barking. They're aliens. It's not Star Trek, where everyone is human, only with different shit on their faces.

I've had enough of this movie by the extremely forced scene between the main character and her unborn daughter, where in the most awkward and seemingly casual way the daughter asks about zero sum game. I won't explain the scene, but it literally breaks the movie for me.

I mean, those aliens, a sophisticated race, which does space travel like kids do tricycles, is unable to learn our language, but we, the mighty human race, armed with a magic marker and a corporate whiteboard, can learn theirs in a few months?

Well ... I'm not defending the movie which I obviously didn't like, but that was kind of the point. They didn't come to earth to learn our language. They came here to teach us theirs. And "we" didn't learn it. Only one very special person did, through telepathy, or just being smarter than any other human. She's USA's [and earth's] top linguist, after all.

Also, was it just me, or does the movie begin with a time paradox even before the aliens arrive? The main character seems pretty broken up about the loss of her daughter, and subsequently, her husband. The husband she meets during the events of the movie, which haven't taken place yet. Anyway, it's a really stupid plot device, and a really stupid choice for someone who knows the future. If you know your first kid will die, get an abortion once you get pregnant and make another one, who will live.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Been watching lots of horror lately so here's my takes. Both are from either Netflix or Amazon Prime Streaming:

SOCIETY: An AMAZING film. Loved the suspense and paranoia involved. And Japan's very own Screaming Mad George went balls to the walls with the SFX. Great movie. To hell with the 1%.

THE MUTILATOR: It's an alright film. The music here sucks. The hook kill was the most disgusting. It was okay.

THE BABYSITTER: Just came out last week on Netflix. Had a lot of fun with this. Gory and fun, and had some nice throwbacks too. Not too misogynistic, so great to see with a lady friend. Samara Weaving is awesome here. Recommended.

BEYOND THE GATES: Loved this one too, but it's really a slow burner. If you remember the 80s / 90s VHS fantasy board games, then this is the movie for you. Barbara Crampton is in the film and helped produce it. If you have a love for VHS horror, this is a nice sendup here. Very indie but nice. Kills are great too, but again, it's a slow starter.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: Finally saw the original last Saturday and it really is an amazing film. Being B&W made the experience watching it in a dark living room even better.

DUDE BRO PARTY MASSACRE 3: Hilarious fucking horror film. It's basically a movie about 80s frat bros getting killed. Larry King even makes a cameo and get stabbed. From the geniuses behind 5 Second Films. Film makes no sense but that's the point. The kills are also hilarious.

TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL: Watched this film again for the umpteenth time. It doesn't EVER get old. Here's my review here if you haven't watched it.

THE WRAITH: Features an early Charlie Sheen, Randy Quaid and a hot hot Sherilynn Fenn (uh, Audrey in Twin Peaks) in a fun action / sci fi / horror film about drag racing. On Netflix. Well shot, with good car chases and action.

And here's my review for Blue Velvet if anyone's interested. If you guys have other horror recs, please post 'em! Happy Halloween!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The Sender. Weird B sci-fi movie where R Lee Ermey shoots people. Has "aliens" and people who can teleport. IDK how it ended because I fell asleep.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Been watching lots of horror lately so here's my takes. Both are from either Netflix or Amazon Prime Streaming:

SOCIETY: An AMAZING film. Loved the suspense and paranoia involved. And Japan's very own Screaming Mad George went balls to the walls with the SFX. Great movie. To hell with the 1%.

THE MUTILATOR: It's an alright film. The music here sucks. The hook kill was the most disgusting. It was okay.

THE BABYSITTER: Just came out last week on Netflix. Had a lot of fun with this. Gory and fun, and had some nice throwbacks too. Not too misogynistic, so great to see with a lady friend. Samara Weaving is awesome here. Recommended.

BEYOND THE GATES: Loved this one too, but it's really a slow burner. If you remember the 80s / 90s VHS fantasy board games, then this is the movie for you. Barbara Crampton is in the film and helped produce it. If you have a love for VHS horror, this is a nice sendup here. Very indie but nice. Kills are great too, but again, it's a slow starter.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: Finally saw the original last Saturday and it really is an amazing film. Being B&W made the experience watching it in a dark living room even better.

DUDE BRO PARTY MASSACRE 3: Hilarious fucking horror film. It's basically a movie about 80s frat bros getting killed. Larry King even makes a cameo and get stabbed. From the geniuses behind 5 Second Films. Film makes no sense but that's the point. The kills are also hilarious.

TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL: Watched this film again for the umpteenth time. It doesn't EVER get old. Here's my review here if you haven't watched it.

THE WRAITH: Features an early Charlie Sheen, Randy Quaid and a hot hot Sherilynn Fenn (uh, Audrey in Twin Peaks) in a fun action / sci fi / horror film about drag racing. On Netflix. Well shot, with good car chases and action.

And here's my review for Blue Velvet if anyone's interested. If you guys have other horror recs, please post 'em! Happy Halloween!

I fucking love Society, he literally turns the jock villain inside out for the climax, brilliantly weird stuff.

I recently watched Maniac Cop for the first time, I like that it actually gives a shit about telling a story even if the gore is pretty run of the mill, I'm excited to get my hands on the (apparently) superior sequel, lots of powerful chins in the movie as well (Bruce Campbell, Robert Z'dar and William Smith) I also watched Eli Craig's follow up to Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, the just okay "Little Evil" most of the jokes fall flat but there are some amusing bits for people who grew up watching the Omen and other demonic possession films, plus its got Clancy Brown as an evil priest.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I have learned to hate Villeneuve’s movies. Sicario was shit. Arrival was a comedy.

Not sure why people are afraid to really speak their heart when they see his name.

That's a pretty good post there Olly.

Thanks, feels good not to be alone with my opinion. This film stirred a lot of negative thoughts inside me, and I needed a vent to let go.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I fucking love Society, he literally turns the jock villain inside out for the climax, brilliantly weird stuff.

I recently watched Maniac Cop for the first time, I like that it actually gives a shit about telling a story even if the gore is pretty run of the mill, I'm excited to get my hands on the (apparently) superior sequel, lots of powerful chins in the movie as well (Bruce Campbell, Robert Z'dar and William Smith) I also watched Eli Craig's follow up to Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, the just okay "Little Evil" most of the jokes fall flat but there are some amusing bits for people who grew up watching the Omen and other demonic possession films, plus its got Clancy Brown as an evil priest.

Clancy Brown as an evil priest???? ON HOLY GROUND????

I'm in....