Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
John Wick 2 was the most offensively stupid movie I've seen in 20 years. The first one was enjoyable for what it set out to be, and it was an interesting world. So I was onboard to watch a sequel. But part 2 was idiotic and boring. Characters acted obscenely stupid, then acted surprised when the obvious results of their choices occurred. I mean, that's fine for secondary characters or even sometimes a villain. But I can't watch 2 hours of a main character like that. Ted from Bill & Ted acted less dumb than John Wick in that second movie. I'm not talking about Keanu as an actor; I mean the character. You couldn't pay me to watch a third.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
John Wick 2 was the most offensively stupid movie I've seen in 20 years. The first one was enjoyable for what it set out to be, and it was an interesting world. So I was onboard to watch a sequel. But part 2 was idiotic and boring. Characters acted obscenely stupid, then acted surprised when the obvious results of their choices occurred. I mean, that's fine for secondary characters or even sometimes a villain. But I can't watch 2 hours of a main character like that. Ted from Bill & Ted acted less dumb than John Wick in that second movie. I'm not talking about Keanu as an actor; I mean the character. You couldn't pay me to watch a third.

Pretty much how I look at 2. Have to judge each movie on its own.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Toys - funny how it predicted the rise of drones and video games in war.

The Prince of Egypt - animation is even better than I remembered.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Rec - Rewatched this for I think the third time. I like it a lot. Definitely one of the better found footage horror movies. The demonic possession angle to the standard zombie cliches is pretty great.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Night Watch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(2004_film)

I've had it for quite some time and had even watched it once before. But damned if I remembered any of it. Quite interesting, good special effects and some comedic elements... but not to be funny. Such as a large utility truck that can go hundreds of kilometers per hour (this movie is Russian so they don't use miles eh)... It is a good refresher to watch it now, after the surprise of finding Day Watch (FINALLY!) on BD at Big Lots of all places. I can finally watch the sequel, I just hope it is as good as the first. And hope it is dubbed as well as Night Watch, although that DVD has another side where you can watch it in Russian with English subtitles.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Finally got around to Spider-man Into the Spiderverse. Interesting animation (although I thought Kingpin looked stupid... too much like a Despicable Me character), great performances from all the main cast and nice to see down-on-his-luck Peter for once since he always seems to be depressed and five minutes from being done with superhero shit in the comics. If I ever thought a live-action Miles Morales could be pulled off (which I don't), this would be the way to do it. Also, Nic Cage steals the show.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Deadwood - if you were a fan of the show at all it's pretty much a must-watch. Does a nice job of wrapping up stories and characters, but stays grounded at the same time- nothing seemed too farfetched or fan-servicey.

Cannibal Holocaust - I'd never seen it before. Um, wow. IMO it felt surprisingly short on actual cannibalism and much more into rape, torture, and animal cruelty (that turtle scene, ew). And it's not subtle in the delivery, but IMO it's fairly successful in its message. Probably gonna watch Cannibal Ferox next, which seems to be widely considered vastly inferior. I admit I have a better idea of what Eli Roth was going for in The Green Inferno now, may have to re-watch that.

fake

15 Year Member
I saw Booksmart last week. Funniest movie I've seen since Blackkklansman. Great plot, great lead characters, great dialogue. I'd group it in with Edge of Seventeen as a teenage coming of age story made for people now in their 30s.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Did Timor Bertemebrnemkovdjgh ever finish the trilogy?

He made 4 Yolki movies, comrade. 4 fucking yolki movies.

The concept for Nightwatch was great. Daywatch? Not so much.

I think his crowning achievement was Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter though. Showed his technical ability and ability to manage a big production.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Isle of Dogs

I'll admit it, I am a Wes Anderson fanboy...I pretty much adore anything he makes.

I don't know why, but this has been on of those back-burner films for me, I've put off watching it for some reason or another. We had a chance to watch it Sat night and it did not disappoint, easily one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a very long time.

Dr Docking

out of control fake account
Dockers Paradise

I saw this with a friend last night and I have to say what an upward blast this film was. 10/10 for unexpected explosive moments with a little disgust thrown in for good measure.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Cannibal Ferox - pretty damn weird. Spends about the first hour twiddling its thumbs and being insanely self-serious then finally says fuck it and goes off the rails with several ridiculous scenes.

Hilariously awful script and acting. The ending is unintentionally LOL funny (and was basically adapted wholesale by Eli Roth in The Green Inferno). And I swear, Mike in this looks exactly like Evil Trey Parker.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched Sunshine again this weekend. For years I had this movie on a pedestal. It hit me that:
1) No way that all the nuclear warhead material on earth can do even a blip to the Sun. The size ratio alone should be enough to tell Earthlings to fuck off and die.
2) Chris Pine is too tall for space travel. One could argue that NASA would prefer to send a small person into space who takes up less oxygen and food supply, than a really tall guy with massive muscles, requiring twice as much oxygen and food. If you had the option of sending one big astronaut into space or 3 small ones, which do you chose? I go for the 3 small ones.
3) the space station they are in was incredibly large for space travel.

At this point, I am almost surprised that Sunshine didn't star Nicolas Cage.

fake

15 Year Member
I watched Sunshine again this weekend. For years I had this movie on a pedestal. It hit me that:
1) No way that all the nuclear warhead material on earth can do even a blip to the Sun. The size ratio alone should be enough to tell Earthlings to fuck off and die.
2) Chris Pine is too tall for space travel. One could argue that NASA would prefer to send a small person into space who takes up less oxygen and food supply, than a really tall guy with massive muscles, requiring twice as much oxygen and food. If you had the option of sending one big astronaut into space or 3 small ones, which do you chose? I go for the 3 small ones.
3) the space station they are in was incredibly large for space travel.

At this point, I am almost surprised that Sunshine didn't star Nicolas Cage.

Yeah, I really don't like this movie, but I like a lot of the other stuff Alex Garland has done. I like 28 Days Later and Ex Machina and Annihilation are two of my top 25 movies, probably.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Karate Kid- My mom had never seen it and I got a 4k copy so we watched it together. Holds up damn well. Still need to watch that new series.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saw Brightburn for free last week. A couple of neat little touches (the kid remarking on parasitic wasps at the beginning and all of the references to insects afterwards) and a couple of great gore shots but otherwise completely forgettable. The characters are paper thin and the story beats are rote and boring. Interesting idea but that's about it.

Saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters for free this week. Also completely forgettable but it at least has lots of kaiju smashy smashy. I've never been a huge Godzilla guy (although I have seen an awful lot of them). It's at least the first American Godzilla film that realizes no one gives a shit about the human characters and their stupid problems. In this case, they're mostly an excuse to frame the movement of the story from one venue to another where monsters pound the crap out of each other. I feel like there's way too much fog and rain throughout but I imagine if you could just see everything out in the open, it would look way more ridiculous. Anyway, it's a decent spectacle film and a middling (but way better than the previous attempts) Godzilla film. Although I honestly don't know what hardcore Godzilla fans want out of an American film beyond "Shin Gojira" with better special f/x.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If a parasite regulates its host’s appetite, is it really a parasite?

It seems like it may have a more mutual use that we simply refused or neglect to qualify.

fake

15 Year Member
I had a tapeworm once.

Best thing that ever happened to me.

#BLESSED

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Saw Brightburn for free last week. A couple of neat little touches (the kid remarking on parasitic wasps at the beginning and all of the references to insects afterwards) and a couple of great gore shots but otherwise completely forgettable. The characters are paper thin and the story beats are rote and boring. Interesting idea but that's about it.

Yeah. Pretty much agree with this.

I'm not a horror fan so the gore stuff was also forgettable to me.

The only thing I thought was sorta cool was how Rooker at the end is hinting about all the other super powered beings out there, but they were all evil. So instead of an Avengers/JLA team, it's more like nothing but villains are appearing.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
If something makes your ass itch but when you fart and it feels super awesome, is it all that bad?