Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was really good, and I like how they left the Deckard/replicant question a bit open ended. I still think it makes more sense if he's human, because if he's a replicant it doesn't make sense that his daughter has a genetic birth defect. Why would Tyrell design two replicants (Rachel and Deckard) to procreate and then have the child born with defects? If they were both designed by Tyrell you would think their offspring would be a perfect replicant.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was really good, and I like how they left the Deckard/replicant question a bit open ended. I still think it makes more sense if he's human, because if he's a replicant it doesn't make sense that his daughter has a genetic birth defect. Why would Tyrell design two replicants (Rachel and Deckard) to procreate and then have the child born with defects? If they were both designed by Tyrell you would think their offspring would be a perfect replicant.

This was my thought...the entire plot works far better with Deckard as a human.

I'm looking forward to watching it again, I just haven't got around to it yet.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This was my thought...the entire plot works far better with Deckard as a human.

I'm looking forward to watching it again, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Yes, but... I'd point out that Replicants are mostly organic. They're not like Terminators or Snatchers where their human bits are just superficial and they have a robotic endoskeleton. In fact, you might be able to extrapolate that Replicants are mostly genetically engineered for strength, agility, etc. So there's a decent amount of leeway for genetic discrepancies, IMO.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yes, but... I'd point out that Replicants are mostly organic. They're not like Terminators or Snatchers where their human bits are just superficial and they have a robotic endoskeleton. In fact, you might be able to extrapolate that Replicants are mostly genetically engineered for strength, agility, etc. So there's a decent amount of leeway for genetic discrepancies, IMO.

That fact is why I feel the BR story works out so well. As a viewer, I'll admit that I feel nothing for the plight of androids or machines in films. Any movie that tries to tug at the heartstrings of the viewer based on that doesn't speak to me much.

BR is a different story...organic, artificially created humans that are born as slaves do get me in the feels.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

But again, if they're engineered for strength then why is Deckard so weak?

He has to be a newer model than the Nexus 6 models he hunts in the first film, since his lifespan is open-ended.

Yet he doesn't have super strength. So why would they build a new model of replicants, send it to hunt old replicants, but make it significantly weaker?

Just doesn't make any sense.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
But again, if they're engineered for strength then why is Deckard so weak?

He has to be a newer model than the Nexus 6 models he hunts in the first film, since his lifespan is open-ended.

Yet he doesn't have super strength. So why would they build a new model of replicants, send it to hunt old replicants, but make it significantly weaker?

Just doesn't make any sense.

Because Ridley Scott is an idiot, every single other person who worked on BR thought adding the unicorn dream sequence was insane

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The 15:17 To Paris - Worst film I have seen in a very long time. Amateurish cringe fest of the highest order.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) -- One of those movies that allows you at any moment to go to the bathroom within its 154 running time and never have to worry about missing anything, cause there's plenty of it repeating constantly, and it's nothing you haven't seen before. If you think that all's relative, there's your CG monument.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Don't usually post up about the stuff I catch in theaters, but this one was... speshul.

Went to the theater to catch a movie yesterday. Wasn't liking the crowd I was seeing buying tickets to Black Panther (loud/annoying teenagers). So grabbed a ticket to a different movie that I'd not seen yet that sounded at least ok.

Detective Chinatown 2

Now the brief description read it to be a buddy cop type of action comedy. And I suppose you could technically say it was. But god damn was it terrible. Seems I don't get Chinese humor, as I don't think I laughed once. That cheesy/hammy/slapstick/over the top low budget humor wasn't working for me. But as I was the only white guy in the theater the rest of the audience was laughing a good bit. The dialog and acting was at best atrocious. The guy playing the main/lead "detective" actually did a decent job. And I suppose the guy that played his annoying uncle/sidekick was probably killing it if that's what was intended for that character (and that was a fuckin annoying character). But everyone else was either terribly wooden or over the top and in the bad/horrible way.

I shoulda just dealt with the bullshit audience that Black Panther had watching it. While I've caught some decent or better movies lately by just going to the theater and watching something I've not yet seen even if I know nuffin about it. This was certainly not one of those. But watch enough stuff and you'll come across a turd erry now and then.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kill Zone 2 (or SPL 2) - not quite as good as the first one, but that's a seriously high bar to clear. Very good, overall, though. Wu Jing was awesome, kind of funny how he's in both this and the original in completely different roles. Tony Jaa was good but actually kind of underused. Batshit crazy plot, in a good way.

Kung Fu Killer - fun to watch for the action, but incredibly dumb, story-wise. Donnie Yen is pretty impressive for a dude in his mid 50's.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Soldier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_(1998_American_film)
Decent movie. Lead character doesn't talk alot. I don't think he smiles the whole movie. Sound is very loud.

Soldier's Revenge
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088345/
This movie blows. Basically the dude got a dishonorable discharge from the military for disobeying orders to do a bombing run. It shows flashbacks to his time as a soldier but never anything to do with being in a plane. The flashback scenes are done very badly. He comes home and everyone hates him, he sells his house right after saying he wanted to keep it. Then goes into town and starts a bar fight, runs away to home because the cops are coming after him. Then shoots out the cop car tires with a shotgun at at least 100 feet. Then decides to fly weapons to some South American country, kills a bunch of people then convinces the "bad guy" who was his pal for half the movie to not kill anymore. Then he gets on a boat with the girl and this kid and sails off into the sunset. There does not seem to be any "revenge" being had in this movie. Just a dude who got kick out of the military and did a bunch of "what they hell, I've got nothing better to do" actions.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Caught me totally off-guard. I was expecting a completely different movie. It's nice to see Vaughn in something other than comedies starring alongside Owen Wilson. He's a monster of a man, towering over pretty much everyone else, and he fits the role perfectly. If you're looking for a moderately paced violence fest, this is the movie for you.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
The Handmaiden extended cut - Really like how they split it into 3 parts ending with a twist. Oldboy last 20-30 minutes or so will always be burned into my memory but i think overall Handmaiden is the better Park film. Korean cinema is just killing it the past decade.

A Man Who Was Superman - Finally got to watch it. i thought it was pretty good with a kumbaya message. i almost cried. The lead actor Jung Min Hwang has been terrific in all his films i've seen him in and he doesn't disappoint as Superman.

Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 - A bit too serious for me but i still enjoyed both quite a bit. Wish they added 3rd one.

Happy Death Day - OK teen slasher meets groundhog...Got boring after a couple deaths.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So I went and watched Annihilation today.

Uhhhhh.... WTF did I watch? It's as if the director said "hey, I like the arrival & event horizon. how bout I kinda combine em and make it look like yer on acid while yer watchin it?". Was done decently enough, and the effects were great. But srsly, wtf?

And there was an odd amount of time/times spent on showing portman in bed.

No idea what to think of this movie.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched Justice League last night just for shits and giggles. Yup. It's bad. Stupid CG villain and kind of bad CG in general for a super expensive movie, Affleck looks the part but both directors fundamentally misunderstand Batman (he's not Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man, he's not the one taking stupid, unnecessary risks and he spends an awful lot of time shooting guns). Aquaman and Flash are both well-cast but have nothing to do in this boring ass movie. Deus ex Superman is such a waste and the post-credits sequence sucks because they insist on bringing back the worst part of Batman v Superman (Luthorberg).

We get a gratuitous shot of Momoa's man titties and Gal Gadot's ass so it's got that going for it, I guess. And Flash being awkward and aspy kinda makes sense for a different take on his character. There's obviously seeds of good ideas in these movies but they're so drowned out by bad writing, bad directing and bad CG.

Makes you appreciate that even though I'm completely sick of the Marvel movies, they're all at least competent, well-made movies.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Watched my bootleg copy of Song of the South. It seems to be a first generation copy of the original VHS, or from some other source. Recorded onto a T-120, with the tab removed, but with printed UK/PAL label and box artwork.

I don't see what makes people so riled up about this movie or why Disney seems afraid to re-release it in the US. No one ever says anything bad to anyone that I could tell, other than the two kids who want to drown the puppy. Oh and the main character kid gets run over by a bull, but it isn't shown. Kind of depressing end but he gets better.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finally watched Three Billboards. I liked it for the most part, but Best Picture front-runner? No way. Not that good. McDormand was great and Rockwell was good, no argument there.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the ritual

i quite enjoyed it. would of done with a bit more content, but the action starts right away and keeps you interested all the way through.

closer to the original blair witch more than any of the sequels.