Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Just saw Annihilation. I fairly enjoyed it all the way up until the end when it got all silent and went for "lets just have silence and then make it like ah ha! Shes an alien after all! Urrybody gon' die!" The idea behind the way the alien or whatever it was that was at the lighthouse worked/terraformed/etc reminded me quite a bit of the Descolada from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books in the original Ender's Game quartet.

It was an OK movie. Ex Machina was probably better, but even that wasn't super-great.

Han Solo dies motherfucker

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Leatherface 2017.

Complete trash. Utterly inept script, characters you don't give a shit about, not drop of tension or atmosphere that the series is known for. Just shit, avoid. Glad I saw it so I can tell others not to bother.

Seriously, this isn't even a horror film - the should have given it an edgy name like Leatherface Origins with a Jason X type cover so you really know what you're walking into.

Ugh... so disappointed...

Eh I thought it was gonna be garbage going into it but I actually enjoyed it. Not a great movie by any means but it was totally watchable and good enough for me. I really liked the interactions between the psychotic sheriff and the crazed mother. Gore effects were pretty good too.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Rampage - can you imagine the meeting that pitched this idea? A movie based on a 30+ year old arcade game? Well turns out it's just another Rock vehicle without a lot of beating up buildings going on.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Alien Covenant. It was neat. Not as bad as everyone says. Has a different flow and feel to it. I wouldn't say it was great or anything, not horrible. Prometheus was better. Hope it doesn't turn out that is a cliffhanger never revisted in movie form.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Alien Covenant. It was neat. Not as bad as everyone says. Has a different flow and feel to it. I wouldn't say it was great or anything, not horrible. Prometheus was better. Hope it doesn't turn out that is a cliffhanger never revisted in movie form.

Except for the part where
Spoiler:
fucking pollen infect the crew. Great way to fuck up some long established lore.

Prometheus was way better indeed - hope they don't mess up the lore anymore in sequels.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Except for the part where
Spoiler:
fucking pollen infect the crew. Great way to fuck up some long established lore.

Prometheus was way better indeed - hope they don't mess up the lore anymore in sequels.

It doesn't change anything. There is almost nothing known to the audience about how life is on that planet. I mean, its another planet that had different looking dudes on it. You can't expect all planets to be exactly like Earth.

And still, not seeing any mess up of lore. I think people have been trying to force "IMPC" onto everyone else and that's what the problem is.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Wakefield.

A successful suburbanite commuter Howard Wakefield (Bryan Cranston) takes a perverse detour from family life. He vanishes without a trace. Hidden in the attic of his carriage house garage.

Polarizing type of a film. Not for everyone. But another top performance by Bryan Cranston.

The Girl On The Train

An alcoholic who rides a train aimlessly since losing her job.

The acting essentially keeps it afloat; The material is pretty standard and, ultimately, predictable.

The Shape of Water

Romantic dark fantasy drama.

A unique and original science fiction love story that is sometimes weighed down too heavily by an unoriginal villain plot line.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Rising Sun- Sean Connery speaking Japanese aside... I remember when Wesley Snipes wasn't just Blade or a tax dodger, he was so awesome.

Major League- I don't know if this is just an Ohio movie but damn if it isn't funny and the cast is amazing.

A Wesley Sniper double play today.

Also agree with TH: A Girl on the Train was OK, kinda felt like watching a shitty movie length episode of The Killing.

Really enjoyed Wakefield.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
You can't expect all planets to be exactly like Earth.

Have you been to other planets?
No seriously, I agree with most of what you're saying but it feels -to me- as a cheap way to dilute the Alien franchise in a way that it doesn't need. They could have been a little more creative, don't you think?
That black ooze (but sometimes pollen and other times insects!) is used as a cheap plot device to hurt all the one dimensional characters. It left me confused and sad that they went this route because the Alien franchise deserves better.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Wakefield.

The Girl On The Train

An alcoholic who rides a train aimlessly since losing her job.

The acting essentially keeps it afloat; The material is pretty standard and, ultimately, predictable.

got to be one of the worst movies i've ever seen. boring all the way through, very predictable ending and very unnecessarily sexual. main character wasn't likeable at all so you didn't care when you found out the truth about her at the end.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Girl on the Train does indeed suck. Cynical attempt to cash in on mystery thrillers with "Girl" in the name. Emily Blunt is usually great, but nothing was going to save that garbage.

Saw The Commuter - Liam Neeson action-ish vehicle no. 2,594. Patrick Wilson gives it a little life in his parts, but other than that, nothing interesting.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Den of Thieves - not a good movie, but not terrible. Felt like a low-brow version of Heat, from various scenes to the characters to the length (this is 2 hrs and 20 minutes, and it should have been about an hour and forty). Gerard Butler was entertaining as the lead. Ending was dumb as hell.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Girl on the Train does indeed suck. Cynical attempt to cash in on mystery thrillers with "Girl" in the name. Emily Blunt is usually great, but nothing was going to save that garbage.

Saw The Commuter - Liam Neeson action-ish vehicle no. 2,594. Patrick Wilson gives it a little life in his parts, but other than that, nothing interesting.

Emily Blunt just looks good. Her acting didn’t blow me away. The movie did indeed suck.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Den of Thieves - not a good movie, but not terrible. Felt like a low-brow version of Heat, from various scenes to the characters to the length (this is 2 hrs and 20 minutes, and it should have been about an hour and forty). Gerard Butler was entertaining as the lead. Ending was dumb as hell.

I really enjoyed Den of Thieves. It was so fucking ridiculous. They did everything but nuke that armored van at the start :lolz:d

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed Den of Thieves. It was so fucking ridiculous. They did everything but nuke that armored van at the start :lolz:d

I don't regret watching it or anything, it was entertaining in that bonkers way you're referring to. O'Shea Jackson Jr. sure does look like his dad, and I can't help but think he's going to get plenty of roles. He has charisma.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I don't regret watching it or anything, it was entertaining in that bonkers way you're referring to. O'Shea Jackson Jr. sure does look like his dad, and I can't help but think he's going to get plenty of roles. He has charisma.

Agreed. Also, I think Gerard Butler is the new Nicolas Cage :keke:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gamer- I forgot how fucking crazy this movie is. A lot more entertaining than I remembered. I'd put it in the same category as the Cranks or Doomsday.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Isle of Dogs - first off, wow, a Wes Anderson movie made it to theaters over here. Unfortunately it isn't that great. It's good, sure. But it's probably Wes's weakest. I kept thinking why I didn't like this as much as anything else he's done, and I realized it never made me feel. It never had that 'Mr. Fox meets the wolf' level of emotion in a scene that made me cry. I'm glad it came over here and still got to see it though.

I also felt the white girl foreign student character was unnecessary and could have been done with a Japanese student instead. Looking online now it seems there's some controversy with that, no surprise. I didn't feel offended by it, just a 'this character should have been someone else.'

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Tango & Cash - Sly & Kurt really has great chemistry...Fun & funny all around w/ some good ol action. My kids were laughing their ass off, not sure if was appropriate due to there age but whatever.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Tango & Cash - Sly & Kurt really has great chemistry...Fun & funny all around w/ some good ol action. My kids were laughing their ass off, not sure if was appropriate due to there age but whatever.

I recall it was the first movie in which I heard the term "FUBAR".

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Not long back from watching avengers infinity war, marvel fanboy so yeah it was pretty awesome for me.
Thanos is the best villian so far in an mcu film and thor steals the show as the best of the hero's, load's of very cool action scenes, and quite a few hero's bumped off, make sure to stick around for the end credit scene as well.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
avengers infinity war

had high hopes for this because everyone i know loved it, but i thought it was boring. thor and iron man was good but over all it was just alright. not bad but not great.