Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
None of the titles have ever been subtle and reading anything in to it beyond "this is a vague four-word description of the theme or narrative thread of the movie" is reading too much.
You're a little dense, aren't you?

I believe that would be...

Ah, well, then you misinterpreted what I wrote. I was not referring to the fans' entitledness. That was literally their least offensive aspect at that point.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Night is Short, Walk on by Girl- If you like Paprika and other mind bending anime this might be for you. It's about a young woman who goes out binge drinking and ends up getting mixed up in all sorts of random shit. It shifts multiple animation styles, has musical numbers, a love story, all kinds of stuff. It's a lot to take in but very entertain and well made. The trailers and reviews don't do it justice, it's insane.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Glass - I honestly can't remember ever being more pissed off at a movie's ending than the one in Glass. It's insanely bad. Completely unearned, the audience has zero stake in what's revealed, monologue from Sarah Paulson and a line from Glass's mom that made me literally laugh out loud and that's it? Rest of the movie had awful pacing and bad characters but it maintained a little intrigue due to the possibilities for the ending.

Then that. Wow.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Glass - I honestly can't remember ever being more pissed off at a movie's ending than the one in Glass. It's insanely bad. Completely unearned, the audience has zero stake in what's revealed, monologue from Sarah Paulson and a line from Glass's mom that made me literally laugh out loud and that's it? Rest of the movie had awful pacing and bad characters but it maintained a little intrigue due to the possibilities for the ending.

Then that. Wow.
Didn't mind the pacing.

But that ending. A big 'fuck you' from Shammers to the fans of Unbreakable and Split.

Sucked man.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hold the Dark.

I don’t get all the hate. Perhaps not as formulaic as Saulnier’s Blue Ruin or Green Room, but it was oddly mesmerising, perhaps a little long. The violence was as real as it gets, and packed a punch. What hit me the most though was the morgue scene. I felt a lump in my throat and if I didn’t hold it back I could of let the tears flow. Not many films have caused such an instant emotional reaction out of me.

That’s 3 from 3 for me with Saulnier.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Didn't mind the pacing.

But that ending. A big 'fuck you' from Shammers to the fans of Unbreakable and Split.

Sucked man.

Yeah, I thought the movie was great until the ending. Looking back, the ending actually makes sense but is still disappointing. I was expecting an epic battle in the skyscrapers, motherfucker!!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You're a little dense, aren't you?

When it comes to Star Wars, probably.... but you'll have to explain why a 4-word subtitle is Disney's desperate attempt at a make-good. Because it's a Skywalker that's "rising"? So what? Fans aren't mad because there aren't enough Skywalkers. They're mad because the movies are poorly-written garbage (and some fans are mad because of culture war bullshit). If the implication is that Rey will be a Skywalker (which will somehow make fans who hated Last Jedi happy?), everyone assumed that from the second they announced the main character. If there's some insight into Star Wars fans that I don't have because I'm not one, by all means, enlighten me but it was always my impression that this was supposed to be the end of "the Skywalker saga" so the word Skywalker being in the last film's subtitle isn't the least bit surprising or revelatory.

Ah, well, then you misinterpreted what I wrote. I was not referring to the fans' entitledness. That was literally their least offensive aspect at that point.

Can't imagine what else you'd be so disappointed by. Star Wars has been bad for twenty years and vapid popcorn entertainment for forty years. Its fans have always been sad and socially maladjusted.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Finished the Joe Bob Dinners of Death which included:

Dead or Alive (1999): I haven't seen much Miike (Audition and Ichi the Killer are it, I think) but dude definitely knows how to make sure you remember his movies. A pretty boilerplate yakuza movie for about 90% of the runtime punctuated with absolutely batshit scenes of Japanese-style weirdness and depravity topped off by a finale that escalates from standard issue to cool to "WTF!?" in the span of five minutes. Definitely enjoyed it and Riki Takeuchi is one smooth motherfucker but I don't know if the random diversions in to bizarro perversions make the movie better or worse.

Blood Rage is a goofy 80s slasher flick with a good/evil twin gimmick (but more mopey twin/smug prick twin). It's D-tier bad but it almost makes its way back to being fun-bad because the main actor is a ham and a few of the gore effects are neat.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, I thought the movie was great until the ending. Looking back, the ending actually makes sense but is still disappointing. I was expecting an epic battle in the skyscrapers, motherfucker!!
Same!

I get that the twist is there, and it's similar to the endgame of the Jumper movie (also terrible) in that secret society bs.

But I was hoping there'd be more to the Beast/Horde, and the way the powers were manifesting from true self belief.

Bummer ending.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Alchemist’s Cookbook
Has a really strong sense of atmosphere, almost up to the level of The Witch, about a guy who lives out in the woods away from society, and conducts chemistry experiments, preparing for a satanic ritual of some kind, to summon a demon to grant his stupid wishes. Low expectations going in, but the acting was good and movie creepier than expected.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) -- Deep down under its thick skin of dumb action, boring stunts, CG explosions and pointless mayhem this little big gem of an faceless potboiler has the warmest and most humane message to manifest:

I can't do it, they are live! ...just like me.

Needless to say, I'll never, never, never ever gonna treat another clone the way I did before. Cross my heart and hope to die. I didn't weep so much since "Billy and the Cloneasaurus" in the first grade. Thankfully, there was a cliffhanger present.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) -- Deep down under its thick skin of dumb action, boring stunts, CG explosions and pointless mayhem this little big gem of an faceless potboiler has the warmest and most humane message to manifest:

I can't do it, they are live! ...just like me.

Needless to say, I'll never, never, never ever gonna treat another clone the way I did before. Cross my heart and hope to die. I didn't weep so much since "Billy and the Cloneasaurus" in the first grade. Thankfully, there was a cliffhanger present.

You will never get those two hours of life back.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Avengers infinty whatever the last movie is....

Spoiler:
there is nothing to spoil. everything you think happens... happens. then it ends.

3 hours....

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Are tickets in America more expensive than usual for Avengers? Tickets are twice as expensive than what they should be. Figured because it's 3 hours and because people will still buy them.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Endgame yesterday. About to see it again now. Had to sneak into a later showing because I was in concession line for a fucking hour, fuck that. Anyway, was cool but all the nerd fuckers cheering last night, missed punchlines and dialogue so gonna have at it again. Breakfast tacos in my pocket and bought a drink.

Edit: I hear a baby in the audience for this showing, asking questions and there’s nothing on the screen yet.

There were some cheer worthy moments and wtf gtfo moments.

These 3 hours didn’t feel like interstellar 3 hours.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Edit: I hear a baby in the audience for this showing, asking questions and there’s nothing on the screen yet.

Embrace your destiny, be the man who your father would be proud of, and tell them to SHUT THE FUCK UP OR GET THE FUCK OUT.

When I have to do this, I just tell myself they're not even human. They're not human, brother. Treat them like the animals they are.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Embrace your destiny, be the man who your father would be proud of, and tell them to SHUT THE FUCK UP OR GET THE FUCK OUT.

The baby sounds cute, it’s these nerd fucks that just sat behind me that killed my morning strategy. I can’t escape these fucks.

Nf=nerd fuck

Nf1 “this is the last movie”
Nf2 “well, for phase 1”
Nf3 “there’s no end credit scene but there’s supposed to be a little nugget at the end that may or may or may not mean anything”

Motherfuckers

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are tickets in America more expensive than usual for Avengers? Tickets are twice as expensive than what they should be. Figured because it's 3 hours and because people will still buy them.

Tickets overall are higher now than they used to be by a pretty large margin, but the tickets for Endgame are the same price as anything else here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
How many of you fags gave a shit about the faggy avengers when you were a kid or even teenager?

Avengers was as shit as fantastic four was until they made the iron man movie so many years ago.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The baby sounds cute, it’s these nerd fucks that just sat behind me that killed my morning strategy. I can’t escape these fucks.

Nf=nerd fuck

Nf1 “this is the last movie”
Nf2 “well, for phase 1”
Nf3 “there’s no end credit scene but there’s supposed to be a little nugget at the end that may or may or may not mean anything”

Motherfuckers

Wow, my god, 11 years and 30 movies later there's still one dude who feels the need to point out there's an extra scene after the credits. Oh wow. That guy, man. He will never have a person who considers him a best friend.

Tickets overall are higher now than they used to be by a pretty large margin, but the tickets for Endgame are the same price as anything else here.

Ah yeah, I should've been clearer. I can't convert for shit right now but for example with a member card movies here are around 40RMB, but everything I've seen for Endgame is around 90-120RMB. This will easily make a new record because of that because every seat's been sold out today.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My tickets were the same price.
I had some very excited manchilds sitting next to me. They didnt gab or cheer or clap. Their exclamations and gasps were a little more dramatic than usual, but it was entirely tolerable.

Spoiler:
Captain Marvel is a smug bitch. Even in Avengers. Wakanda still fight with spears... No new characters made an appearance. Pretty lame.

Lot of people noticed the teen by himself at tony's cabin at the end. Apparently that's the kid that helped him in Iron Man 3.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My tickets were the same price.
I had some very excited manchilds sitting next to me. They didnt gab or cheer or clap. Their exclamations and gasps were a little more dramatic than usual, but it was entirely tolerable.

Spoiler:
Captain Marvel is a smug bitch. Even in Avengers. Wakanda still fight with spears... No new characters made an appearance. Pretty lame.

who was that emo looking teen at Tony's cabin at the end of the movie? The camera pans by each mourning avenger, and there's this one teen by himself in the crowd. Brown curly hair....

Spoiler:
it is weird as hell that the most technologically advanced country on earth is still ass backwards in so many other areas...could be social commentary, but still ehhhhhh

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Actually, even the theatre had signs that there weren’t any end credit scenes, I would say just stick around for completeness.
(Endgame)

Now I have a stink ass to my left. What is this karma?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How many of you fags gave a shit about the faggy avengers when you were a kid or even teenager?

Avengers was as shit as fantastic four was until they made the iron man movie so many years ago.

As a comic? I thought it was trash. I read The Punisher and Wolverine. Sadly, the Punisher still hasn't been treated right, at least we got Logan.

I'm interested in seeing Endgame for the pure spectacle of it all, it will be the first Avengers film I've ever seen in the theater.