Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The comics I can still enjoy are
Corto Maltese
Punisher
Judge Dredd
Sandman

Judge dredd is everything i love about comics rolled up into one perfect package.
I would love to see the planned tv show come to fruition and do it justice.
When you've had a love affair with comics from a very young age like i have, you'll know that it's a genre that doesn't alway's translate to film and tv shows very well.
I love sandman but i think it would be very difficult to make a decent tv series or film of it, hellblazer's a prime example, a fab comic but an awful, abysmal tv show, i'm indifferent to the film with keanu reeves as well.
I was fully expecting to hate preacher but putting aside my comic book pretentions i've actually really enjoyed it, so it is perfectly possible to make a decent show from a more, "out there" comic.
While we're on about comics 100 bullets is well worth you're time as well, pure class.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Disaster Artist was God damned amazing. There were a few times where I actually forgot it was James Franco.

They cut plenty of the book out naturally, but if you're observant you'll see nods to a lot of points from the book like Wiseau walking into the set with cameras in bags and whatnot.

Super great flick. I can't wait to buy it on blu-ray.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Judge dredd is everything i love about comics rolled up into one perfect package.
I would love to see the planned tv show come to fruition and do it justice.
When you've had a love affair with comics from a very young age like i have, you'll know that it's a genre that doesn't alway's translate to film and tv shows very well.
I love sandman but i think it would be very difficult to make a decent tv series or film of it, hellblazer's a prime example, a fab comic but an awful, abysmal tv show, i'm indifferent to the film with keanu reeves as well.
I was fully expecting to hate preacher but putting aside my comic book pretentions i've actually really enjoyed it, so it is perfectly possible to make a decent show from a more, "out there" comic.
While we're on about comics 100 bullets is well worth you're time as well, pure class.
The thought of a sandman tv series would be depressing AF unless the right person gets to direct it. Guillermo Del Toro or Tarsem Singh could do it justice. Fuck no to Zach Snyder or Abrams or Whedonstar Galactica.

I always liked The Punisher, I also read Wolverine, the first 3-4 years of Spawn, and sometimes Batman one-off stories. That was all years ago though...I don't read comics anymore.

Dredd seems like it would have been interesting...

It still is, in that it provided an ‘80s perspective on the future, that seems palpably within a few decades of this shit

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The new punisher show is damn good TBH, same as the netflix daredevil, Vincent D'Onofrio does a great take on Wilson Fisk/kingpin.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Watch Hands of Stone last night. Got lots of feels as i grew up at the Panama Canal zone. I believe the film was shot there so i recognize a few places. The boxing scenes are boring but the cast is great. The actor who played Roberto Duran was good but the highlight for me was Ana de Armas, who played the wife...I think i have a new crush, she really has a great screen presence. Deniro was Deniro & Usher looked just like Sugar Ray at times. As for the script/story its the same rise to fame, fall apart, & then rise again. Bleed for This was a much better film on such less important boxer figure then Duran. Still you get to see Ana de Armas titties again so worth watching for a second time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Coco - it was ok. glad mexicans got a disney movie.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Disaster Artist

Saw this last night but had not seen The Room. Really enjoyed it. James Franco can be hit or miss, but this was geniusful. His brother also came a hell of a long way since those home made acting videos they made together for funny or die (where James tried to teach him acting). The James Dean movie viewing part was totally done in their home videos.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Saw this last night but had not seen The Room. Really enjoyed it. James Franco can be hit or miss, but this was geniusful. His brother also came a hell of a long way since those home made acting videos they made together for funny or die (where James tried to teach him acting). The James Dean movie viewing part was totally done in their home videos.

Dude. You gotta watch The Room, it's one of the greatest pieces of art ever created.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Logan- Shit was awesome, not an easy watch though. Depressing and brutal as fuck, which was refreshing for a Marvel movie.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Fox Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disney Marvel.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Fox Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disney Marvel.

Woooooaaaa there pardner...that's kind of debatable...kinda...

Fox has brought us some good ones (Logan, X-Men, X2, X Men: First Class, Logan, Deadpool)...but they've made some real shit as well:

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/20th_Century_Fox

Is Fox's best better than Disney's best? Absolutely, I'll give you that.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
True...but the Original and X2 were pretty solid for their time.

Yeah but that era is so distant. 2000 and 2003 were not really the greatest years for hero movies. Maybe they seemed good because Batman and Robin and Batman Forever were so terrible.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah but that era is so distant. 2000 and 2003 were not really the greatest years for hero movies. Maybe they seemed good because Batman and Robin and Batman Forever were so terrible.

Good point...

I'll admit that I haven't watched one of those older films in a very long time. I know X3 was total trash...I know I enjoyed the first two at the time. It's hard telling how I would feel about them now.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Lucky Logan - This one had a lot of odd casting...Tatum overweight injured high school football divorce no job dad, Daniel Craig as hillbilly heist genius, Katie Holmes is so out of place, & Hilary Swank character really needed? Wasn't really smart heist film & comedy was meh...

The Great Outdoors - Its been so long since i've seen this. NIce seeing John Candy & Dan Akroyd again. Not as good as i remembered but the kids liked it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Woooooaaaa there pardner...that's kind of debatable...kinda...

Fox has brought us some good ones (Logan, X-Men, X2, X Men: First Class, Logan, Deadpool)...but they've made some real shit as well:

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/20th_Century_Fox

Is Fox's best better than Disney's best? Absolutely, I'll give you that.
MCU doesn't do innovation anymore. Their idea of innovation is Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, or Guardians of the Galaxy. AKA movies that are cut from the exact same cookie sheet as every other damn MCU movie, just with a slight skew toward even more jokes or diversity or whatever.

MCU has a very low ceiling to go along with their high floor.

Their stuff is generally fine, but on like a 6/10 I just finished that an hour ago and I already can't remember the villain's name fine (for real, who's the bad guy in Guardians Vol. 2? See?).

I prefer Fox absolutely. Logan and Deadpool alone are so much better than anything the MCU has ever done, it's not even a comparison, and then The Wolverine is also superior (IMO) to all of MCU, and I honestly expect New Mutants and Deadpool 2 to be in the same range, quality-wise.

Give me three (maybe four, maybe five?) excellent, memorable movies over 20 sure whatevers any day.

edit: yes, I'm more passionate about this than I probably should be. MCU has (mostly) single-handedly changed movies for the worse. And they're not even that good.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I saw The Disaster Artist on Monday and thought it was excellent. The screening was almost empty, which can sometimes be awkward with comedies, but I still laughed throughout. I've seen The Room, but Tommy is such an interesting character that I think it would be just as good to watch it without knowing The Room.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I saw The Disaster Artist on Monday and thought it was excellent. The screening was almost empty, which can sometimes be awkward with comedies, but I still laughed throughout. I've seen The Room, but Tommy is such an interesting character that I think it would be just as good to watch it without knowing The Room.

xROTx

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I prefer Fox absolutely. Logan and Deadpool alone are so much better than anything the MCU has ever done, it's not even a comparison, and then The Wolverine is also superior (IMO) to all of MCU, and I honestly expect New Mutants and Deadpool 2 to be in the same range, quality-wise.

I fully agree...Deadpool and Logan are easily the best "superhero" films to come out, possibly ever (Dredd was pretty fucking awesome as well). I think the key here is the R rating, allowing directors to do whatever they want, without limitations of attempting to keep it within PG-13 limits, has allowed for some really awesome films to be made. On that note, I despise the PG-13 rating...it really killed many movies, it should have never been created. G, PG, and R were enough...all PG-13 did was create this stupid, age limited sub category that too many companies will try to shoehorn movies into.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
(for real, who's the bad guy in Guardians Vol. 2? See?).

Kurt Russell. What do I win?

I agree that Logan and Deadpool are both better than anything Marvel's done (with the possible exception of the first Guardians movie) but they're not really representative of the Fox era of Marvel movies. The majority of the Fox movies have been garbage (Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Elektra, half of the X-men movies) and the only reason those two movies got made was because Fox was tired of getting embarrassed and were actually willing to take a chance on something different. I would be very concerned if Disney got all of the Marvel stuff back (largely because we would never see anything as daring as Logan or Deadpool again) but I can't say I would miss Fox making comic book movies.

I think a large reason the Marvel movies have become so frustrating and repetitive is that they're all tied together. Since Kevin Feige and the Marvel execs have this grand "larger vision" and consider them all telling one, single coherent narrative leading to Infinity War and beyond, none of them can really diverge too much or do anything particularly interesting with the characters. They all have to have their required callbacks, easter eggs and cameos. They have to sell future movies and remind you of past movies so it's either the same Iron Man origin story retold with a different character or a "here's <character X> in a <genre Y> story" with all of that other shit stuffed in to the seams. Having a united universe was an interesting idea that made sense with comic book movies but in practice, it makes each individual movie less important, have fewer stakes and more formulaic. Why give a shit what happens to Thor when you already know he's going to be in two Avengers movies after this? Granted, that oversight and overarching narrative means that pretty much anyone can come in and create a competent movie in that blueprint. It also means there likely will never be a truly great Marvel movie until they become unprofitable and have to stray outside of their comfort zone.

It's also the reason I think the original Iron Man and the Guardians movies are the best of the group: they weren't weighed down by this larger narrative and having to carry water for what comes next. They were allowed to breathe and tell their own stories separate from all of the other baggage and bullshit for the most part. Plus James Gunn is a weirdo who knows how to tell a good story about misfits.

The one thing I'm actually grateful for regarding the Marvel movies is that all of these relatively unknown/quirky directors have been able to cut their teeth on these $100+ million dollar superhero movies. One of the reasons film has been so god awful the last ten-plus years is that the studios aren't willing to take a chance on ANYTHING unless it's a proven commodity which means nothing but comic book movies, sequels, remakes and adaptations of books. They still let Spielberg and Scorcese and a couple of the other older names dick around but that's about it. The only notable exception to that has been Christopher Nolan. Not everyone likes what he does, but he's actually gotten WB to pony up big money for a WW1 film, two weird sci-fi movies and a movie about magicians. I feel like if there are more proven directors out there who have made huge budget movies and not fallen on their faces, studios will be willing to let them pitch their ideas (lord knows James Gunn and the Thor Ragnarok guy will have some weird shit to offer) and we'll start seeing more chances taken and a better variety of movies show up in theaters.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think the key here is the R rating, allowing directors to do whatever they want

It really is this.

PG-13, in some cases, is just pandering to a bigger money base. There are plenty of excellent non-R rated movies, but sometimes a film just needs to be rated R. I think Logan is a great example. I think the violence in that film was not over the top or gore/blood filled for the sake of shocking the audience. Rather the violence reflected what would happen to a person if the fucking Wolverine slashed their shit up, and yeah - it's brutal and kind of horrific, and really fit with the theme of the film that there is more to life then that kind of shit.

I'd love to see Disney get the Fox Marvel properties because I'm a whore for the MCU....BUT I still want to get R-Rated marvel films so that's probably not going to happen.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It really is this.

PG-13, in some cases, is just pandering to a bigger money base. There are plenty of excellent non-R rated movies, but sometimes a film just needs to be rated R. I think Logan is a great example. I think the violence in that film was not over the top or gore/blood filled for the sake of shocking the audience. Rather the violence reflected what would happen to a person if the fucking Wolverine slashed their shit up, and yeah - it's brutal and kind of horrific, and really fit with the theme of the film that there is more to life then that kind of shit.

I'd love to see Disney get the Fox Marvel properties because I'm a whore for the MCU....BUT I still want to get R-Rated marvel films so that's probably not going to happen.

Well...there's this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/business/media/disney-21st-century-fox.html

I have a feeling that Disney acquiring the rights to Deadpool....might kill Deadpool. I guess we'll see...I know Disney owns (or has owned) many other film companies...so maybe they'd leave Fox alone.

On a larger scale...I really do not like where this is going. Disney basically buying the entire film industry could be a possibility in the coming years...I cannot see this as being a good thing...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It will definitely help Disney’s plan to roll out a competing streaming video service if they have a diverse catalogue of media.

And I think Iger has been good about diversification. Star Wars was a huge scoop. They should go after more.