Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Half off at the Criterion official shop.

I'd like to pick up Solaris and Eyes Without a Face, but I'm tapped out. I can wait until the B&N sale at the end of the year.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Ritual - builds up a really strong sense of foreboding through the first hour or more, then fumbles the ending. Strong acting. Everything but the ending is solid, but the ending, man, just feels like everyone went hmm, no idea what to do here. I know it's based on a novel and maybe that's how the novel ends, but damn, change it to make it halfway watchable.

Not recommended.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The Ritual - builds up a really strong sense of foreboding through the first hour or more, then fumbles the ending. Strong acting. Everything but the ending is solid, but the ending, man, just feels like everyone went hmm, no idea what to do here. I know it's based on a novel and maybe that's how the novel ends, but damn, change it to make it halfway watchable.

Not recommended.

i completely forgot about this. i really wanted to see it because it reminded me of the blare witch project. is it anything like the blare witch project?.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Green Room (2016)

Intense thriller/drama about a hardcore punk band who get trapped in an isolated barn/club after playing a gig for a few quick bugs and witnessing a murder by one of the local Neo-Nazi skinheads. Patrick Stewart is surprising as the leader of the pack but acts the role perfectly. Really suspenseful and realistic. Directed by the guy who did the equally intense Blue Ruin.

Blue Ruin (2013)

Watched The Green Room and it was a very intense movie. Almost shut it off because of the gore when shit has officially gone south, but stuck with it. Definitely did not see it unwind the way I imagined it would.

Interestingly, the main characters never really get names, so I named them halfhand and blonde for the wife to know who I was talking about. The neonazis has names though, not like they needed them.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
i completely forgot about this. i really wanted to see it because it reminded me of the blare witch project. is it anything like the blare witch project?.

I guess it sort of is in how it builds tension more by what you don't know and don't see, at least for the first two acts.

Then it mostly abandons that and it works... okay. Then the ending is just bad. At least it's not found footage.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Half off at the Criterion official shop.

I'd like to pick up Solaris and Eyes Without a Face, but I'm tapped out. I can wait until the B&N sale at the end of the year.

They actually have the sale twice a year now, all of August and then all of November, I've got a whole list of stuff to pick up this year. Here's hoping B&N stays in business that long, they've been having store closures recently.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Watched The Green Room and it was a very intense movie. Almost shut it off because of the gore when shit has officially gone south, but stuck with it. Definitely did not see it unwind the way I imagined it would.

Interestingly, the main characters never really get names, so I named them halfhand and blonde for the wife to know who I was talking about. The neonazis has names though, not like they needed them.

I probably should have had a warning up for the gore as it is realistic and unexpected, especially
Spoiler:
the hand mutilation and stomach carving scenes
, I'm pretty hardened to that sort of stuff but it shocked me too.

I really enjoyed the paintball story and how they used that to hype themselves for the final showdown, face paint and all.

I'm keen to see what the director does next. You should check out Blue Ruin if you haven't seen it, it is the better movie of the two.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I probably should have had a warning up for the gore as it is realistic and unexpected, especially
Spoiler:
the hand mutilation and stomach carving scenes
, I'm pretty hardened to that sort of stuff but it shocked me too.

I really enjoyed the paintball story and how they used that to hype themselves for the final showdown, face paint and all.

I'm keen to see what the director does next. You should check out Blue Ruin if you haven't seen it, it is the better movie of the two.

I must just be incredibly desensitized, because while those scenes were wince inducing I wouldn't say I was "shocked" by them. You don't have to listen to me though, I'm the same weirdo who didn't think Logan was violent enough.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I must just be incredibly desensitized, because while those scenes were wince inducing I wouldn't say I was "shocked" by them. You don't have to listen to me though, I'm the same weirdo who didn't think Logan was violent enough.

It shocked me because the scenes were unexpected. There was no real lead up to them, they just happened - unlike say, the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible, which you can sense it's building up to. Perhaps "shocked" is too dramatic an expression here though. It's the tension and realism in Green Room that makes those scenes so uncomfortable.

Speaking of Irreversible, that movie is complete tension and unease throughout. It's been years since I saw it and I'm not in a rush to see it again. I Stand Alone is also a messed up ride.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Speaking of Irreversible, that movie is complete tension and unease throughout. It's been years since I saw it and I'm not in a rush to see it again. I Stand Alone is also a messed up ride.

That's an apt label for that category, for me early Francois Ozon films are that kind of a messed up ride (Sitcom & Les Amants Criminels).

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Checked out Green Room too...Thought it was really good only thing was i was disappointed in was expecting Picard too be some scary ass mofo from what the trailer lead you to believe. Sad the lead actor died so young.
I'll check out Blue Ruin next.

Hitmans Bodyguard - Over the top action and few chuckles...Trailer was better overall.

Swagger-man 3 -i dont think i ever finish the film last time around and this time around i did. This was still really bad film. Peter parking trying to have swagger was hilarious and cringy. Also way too many villains, each one could have easily been enough on their own. Probably been better off just having the Venom story line.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Checked out Green Room too...Thought it was really good only thing was i was disappointed in was expecting Picard too be some scary ass mofo from what the trailer lead you to believe. Sad the lead actor died so young.
I'll check out Blue Ruin next.

Hitmans Bodyguard - Over the top action and few chuckles...Trailer was better overall.

Swagger-man 3 -i dont think i ever finish the film last time around and this time around i did. This was still really bad film. Peter parking trying to have swagger was hilarious and cringy. Also way too many villains, each one could have easily been enough on their own. Probably been better off just having the Venom story line.

I thought it was Yelchin!

If you like Yelchin movies, check out Odd Thomas on NFLX.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Been a long time since I've seen it but I recall thinking that movie would've been way better had they completely removed Venom. Raimi had said all along that he hated Venom, Sandman seemed much more in line with the tragic backstories of the previous villains, you would've lost the cringey dancing scene and all of the Fallout Boy-derman bullshit and it would've had 100% less Topher Grace.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
They actually have the sale twice a year now, all of August and then all of November, I've got a whole list of stuff to pick up this year. Here's hoping B&N stays in business that long, they've been having store closures recently.

Criterion does em in their online shop a few times a year as well, between the two and the normal Amazon discounting the MSRP on them is a joke.

I picked up Silence of the Lambs and Night of the Living Dead from this sale, haven’t watched either in a long time

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Criterion does em in their online shop a few times a year as well, between the two and the normal Amazon discounting the MSRP on them is a joke.

I picked up Silence of the Lambs and Night of the Living Dead from this sale, haven’t watched either in a long time

I grabbed those too, with the Amazon preorder pricing guarantee I ended up getting them for about 18 bucks apiece with release day delivery (because I'm a prime member)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That lame ass live action ghost in the shell movie starring some woman who always has a look of complete confusion on her face.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
That lame ass live action ghost in the shell movie starring some woman who always has a look of complete confusion on her face.

scarlett johansson isn't that great of an actress. she's more of a girlfriend in the background/ college student kind of character. she does not belong in all these action flicks they put her in.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
scarlett johansson isn't that great of an actress. she's more of a girlfriend in the background/ college student kind of character. she does not belong in all these action flicks they put her in.

Fished in

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Watched only the brave. Homoerotic jock dogshit of the highest order, reserved only for those who think dipping their nutsack in their pals beer while he takes a piss is cutting edge satire.

However, either an Oscar nomination for the make up team that worked on Jeff Bridges, or I'm sorry to say that Jeff Bridges is about to die.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Dead Eyes of London
A German funster thriller from the 1960's about a gang that kidnaps and then murders wealthy visiting businessmen in London, kind of tongue-in-cheek, young Klaus Kinski in a supporting role.
2/5

Yves Saint Laurent
Jalil Lespert's new autobiographical film about the fashion designer's early career, Pierre Niney really looks the part and the runway scenes are fucking mint, otherwise rather wooden acting, but in general a really cool film with the atmosphere that only the french can do.
3/5

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Oh man. B&N are a disaster. Their leadership has a pretty clear way of turning things around (by providing what Amazon cannot), but they don't want to. Their C-level people get millions in bonuses when they increase "cash on hand". And you lose cash on hand when you actually invest in your company. So they're basically bleeding it dry, laying off people somewhat slowly, and letting it die a painful death. I think B&N will be around for this year's Criterion sale. But 2019, maybe no. 2020, they're gone.

Edit: Get this. On Monday, about 7 full time employees per store were laid off with no notice, given 2 weeks of pay as severance, and given an application to reapply to the store at minimum wage.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Oh man. B&N are a disaster. Their leadership has a pretty clear way of turning things around (by providing what Amazon cannot), but they don't want to. Their C-level people get millions in bonuses when they increase "cash on hand". And you lose cash on hand when you actually invest in your company. So they're basically bleeding it dry, laying off people somewhat slowly, and letting it die a painful death. I think B&N will be around for this year's Criterion sale. But 2019, maybe no. 2020, they're gone.

Edit: Get this. On Monday, about 7 full time employees per store were laid off with no notice, given 2 weeks of pay as severance, and given an application to reapply to the store at minimum wage.

Yeah, I read about that, gonna have to scoop everything on my list this year