Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Wife's out of town so I sat down and watched movies with the dog this evening.

Cult of Chucky - Saw this was getting good reviews so I threw it in for a laugh and to fill my Halloween horror quota. Enjoyed it in a "getting the band back together" kind of way. Nothing groundbreaking or particularly memorable but I've always had a soft spot for the Chucky movies. Mostly Brad Dourif's great laugh and the gallows humor.

Wonder Woman - Ehhh. Whatever. Perfectly competent superhero origin movie but if I never see another superhero origin movie, it'll be too soon. Gal Gadot remains a smokin' hot biddy.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Spider-Man Homecoming - they nailed the character, but damn if the actual movie wasn't boring as hell. Awful villain with a laughable final fight.

Wonder Woman - eh, slightly better than Spider-Man, but still nothing special. At least the villain is halfway imposing.

Death Note - dumb, but fun. Dafoe makes it worth watching. Not really up to my usual expectations for Adam Wingard, but alright enough.

The Wall - not very good. Really strains suspension of disbelief throughout. Aaron Taylor Johnson is good in it, but not enough to make it a good movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched The Lobster. It was described as absurdist. It feels like Wes Anderson (not a big fan) but has a distopian future element. Somehow it works really well. Colin Farrell is great, as a completely uncool loser who must find a mate or be transformed into a lobster. John C. Reilly (also not a fan) put in a great performance as a loveless loser as well

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
I watched The Lobster. It was described as absurdist. It feels like Wes Anderson (not a big fan) but has a distopian future element. Somehow it works really well. Colin Farrell is great, as a completely uncool loser who must find a mate or be transformed into a lobster. John C. Reilly (also not a fan) put in a great performance as a loveless loser as well

Been meaning to watch this for a while. Thanks for reminding.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
So I saw Little Evil last week and I have to say, it's not bad. I liked how both the kid and Adam Scott grew on each other, but LOTS of the cast are, like the rest of y'all pointed out, are underutilized. Clancy Brown for sure, along with Donald Faison from Scrubs too. Eli Craig's former Power Ranger wife also makes a cameo too, but yes, underutilized too. Oh, and he beat up Sally Fields. What kinda son is Craig if he gets his mom beat up in his own movie :D

Oh, and go watch THE VOID.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
The Babysitter - Fun & campy...Great watch, maybe might watch it again for the hot crazy chick
Geralds Game - Some scenes were hard to watch & had some creepy moments. Good acting by the lead actress
Baby Driver - I really like the cast. a bit overhype but it was fun movie to watch
Spider Man Homecoming - Probably the weakest of all the Spiderman, the best part of the movie was Aunt fucking hot May.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Jon Hamm was the real star of Baby Driver. Needs to be cast as a bad guy more often.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Taken on the whole, the Planet of the Apes reboot series (Rise, Dawn, War) is better than any other science fiction film trilogy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Jon Hamm was the real star of Baby Driver. Needs to be cast as a bad guy more often.

It was a very very enjoyable movie. Great movie? No. Jon Hamm was the best part? Maybe. His character development was fantastic though. Jamie Foxx read him like a book for the audience to know what Hamm really was.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Darkman 1-3 First was and is still awesome, the other two not so much.

Dollans' Cadillac Odd, it just didn't feel right.

Nocturnal Animals Surprisingly good. That opening credit sequence...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Chronicles of Riddick
been years since I watched it. don't know why it's so good, it should be absolute shit - but it's like it tweaks all the cliches enough that as a whole it works brilliantly. up there with Blade 2 (same deal with B2, it should be crap).

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Went to see Suburbicon last night. It is a completely different movie than the trailers would lead you to believe. Still very Coen Bros., though.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Thor Ragnarok

Hot garbage in a New York alley in the middle of summer.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thor Ragnarok

Hot garbage in a New York alley in the middle of summer.

Marvel movies are so shit. I can stomach Guardians but not the others. Didn't see Strange last year, kind of regret though since I heard the visuals were great. I'll see this anyway because I'll just want to do something on a Tuesday evening.

Give us a big ole Taiso review for this one, I don't care if spoilers are there or not.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm sick of Marvel films and thought Thor 2 was rubbish, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ragnarok because of the director. I'm a big fan of his previous films and his work on Flight of the Conchords, and I hear this film is full of his usual humour.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Saw Blade of the Immortal last night. Was kinda cool. Not as good as 13 Assassins but it did the trick. I have about 18 of the books and it was fairly close to the source material but being a long running manga like that they had to breeze through a lot of stuff

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Marvel movies are so shit. I can stomach Guardians but not the others. Didn't see Strange last year, kind of regret though since I heard the visuals were great. I'll see this anyway because I'll just want to do something on a Tuesday evening.

Give us a big ole Taiso review for this one, I don't care if spoilers are there or not.

I'll stand behind Winter Soldier as a near perfect Marvel movie.

Other than that, they are all fair game.

I have enjoyed them to varying degrees, for the most part, but they are pale shadows of what they could/should be. Disney's corporate shillery is becoming too transparent to stomach. It's the same shit that has ruined Star Wars unless you're just a miserable cuck for that series. It's hard to believe it, but we didn't know how much worse ir could get. I'd take prequels until my eyes fell out over the fanficton we're getting now.

As for Thor 3, the problem with the movie is that it's a slide whistle that lasts more than 2 hours. It's a nearly endless stream of clowns coming out of a Volkswagon. It has no reverence for its source material at all and no ability to restrain it's offbeat neuroticism.

'Thor has always been kind of silly.'

No. It hasnt. Read Walt Simonson's run on Thor, widely considered that character's best run. Doom. Doom! DOOM!

Or even the JMS run, which restored the character to levels of greatness he hadn't seen in nearly a decade. Also a serious run that embraced the concepts of its history.

Super heroes are silly if viewed through a postmodern lens but they still serve an essential need as disposable entrainment for the world. Only a few can get away with being so self aware as this movie is unless they're original properties like Mystery Men.

This film deals with the end of Asgard, the destruction of Thor's hammer, the fate of his father and the emergence of no less a figure than the goddess of death herself. Moreover, there are these very serious plot elements about Heimdall trying to protect fugitive Asgardians from being executed, Thor and Loki evolving as brothers and slavery on Sakar.

Just make sure you have Goldblum chewing scenery though. When was the last time this guy actually earned his paycheck?

Norse mythology is grim and severe. Marvel Comics lightened it up somewhat but this is Space Ghost: Coast to Coast levels of absurdity.

Meanwhile, the Black Panther trailer is all intense and serious and believes in its own premise.

Fuck this movie. The director is very talented and he's made great films before but he was the wrong choice for this material. He'd be a great Deadpool director though.

0 stars. Worse than Iron man 3, which was well intentioned but poorly executed. Until last night, it was the worst Marvel movie.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I'm a big fan of his previous films and his work on Flight of the Conchords

I love Flight of the Conchords. Just recently, I dug up the box, and I'm in the process of re-watching it. Almost done, too, which is too bad. I always wanted more. More episodes, and more songs.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The Florida Project - Its a movie about white trash living in a Florida motel.

I wouldn't have paid attention if it wasn't for Bria Vinaite and Mela Murder. I just wanted to see their tits.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I finally got around to watching Dr Strange...it was pretty decent. Like most have said about it...it would have been better in the theater due to the visuals.

On the topic of the shit pile Marvel movies...I've found nearly all of them to be complete trash. Perhaps I'm too picky, perhaps I'm just not into the entire genera, but I seem to be one of the few the strongly dislike nearly all of them. Iron Man was ok, as was the first Guardians and now Dr. Strange...but any other (IM 2/3, Cptn Ame, Thor, Avengers)...Yeah, I didn't like one of them, especially the complete shit Avengers films that by the end, are just a special effect bukkake fuck pile of thousands of completely fake enemies fighting with green screen actors while they demolish yet another massive fake city. God, I cannot imagine the clusterfuck that will be the Infinity movies where you'll have all 623 actors all on screen at once fighting 797,000 fake creatures while the entirety of the earth is hurtling into the sun...which is about to go full supernova. Somewhere good ole Mikey Bay is spunking in his pants just thinking about it...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Superhero movies have always been shitty.

Here is a list of movies:
Batman (1989)
Predator
Terminator
Aliens

What’s the common thread here?
The heroes aren’t super. They are pretty good, trained maybe, but the antagonists are super.

Now:
Wolverine Origins
X3
Captain America Civil War

The antagonists are weak, the heroes are super strong.