Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Really? What westerns have you seen? Most of the time they are pretty amazing & its probably my fav genre after kung fu films.

I tend to not care much for kung fu films either. The only ones I have really watched are the ones with Jet Li.

I watched Satan's Slave aka Evil Heritage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan's_Slave
Weird stuff going on. There is a scene in the beginning where there is the car accident, and the mother's shirt is edited? It was super pixelated on her shirt like it was edited. It is this scene, you can kinda see an aliasing issue on the red sweater, it is more obvious on the DVD and really stands out.
hqdefault.jpg

Otherwise have seen pictures on Google Images showing a scene with a pair of scissors, but I don't recall seeing it at all. Maybe I missed it. This guy dressed as the devil is pretty cool. Otherwise the sound really sucks on this version. There is some super loud parts and super low parts. I tried many different audio modes and also on two different AVRs and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Most interesting about the actors themselves, this old guy on the left:
satanslave4big.jpg

Is also this guy from Batman:
Alfred.jpg

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
T2 Trainspotting.

Great film. A nostalgic throw back. One for the fans!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Oh damn. How did you see this (streaming, youtube, DVD)? I love strange 70's cinema - I'll have to check this out.

Its on a DVD set called Gorehouse Greats. It was sold in Kmart or Walmart, I forget where I got mine.
Here is the back showing what movies it comes with:
https://www.ethanproductions.com/movies-newDB/images/683904507310-back.jpg

I forgot to mention, on there Satan's Slave is in widescreen, Nightmare in Wax is full screen. I haven't watched the others on that set yet.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dark Tower
It got 18% on rotten tomatoes, and I have never seen a movie so unfairly judged. Dark Tower is a good time. It's fun. The acting is good. But people are making their judgments before watching it, and are bringing it down. Everyone is the honking lady from Twin Peaks.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Dark Tower
It got 18% on rotten tomatoes, and I have never seen a movie so unfairly judged. Dark Tower is a good time. It's fun. The acting is good. But people are making their judgments before watching it, and are bringing it down. Everyone is the honking lady from Twin Peaks.

I'm a huge fan of the novels, but I know not to expect that going into the movie. Stephen King has already said this is not His Dark Tower, but the film makers interpretation of the story.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it and judging it on its own merits.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Saw dark tower last night. It was...ehhh

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of the novels, but I know not to expect that going into the movie. Stephen King has already said this is not His Dark Tower, but the film makers interpretation of the story.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it and judging it on its own merits.

First off, it shouldn't have been a movie, but a tv series. But still, if people are going to go to a movie, don't fuck it up for everyone else like the geeks in my showing who had to be arrogant twats and heckle the movie for 135 minutes.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just saw Dark Tower
I know nothing of the books.

I found it entertaining. It does feel rushed in the pacing. It was good to see a kid playing a major role. It had that 80's feel like Super 8.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Gonna go see Dunkirk today. Hoping it's gonna be awesome! Crossing mah fingahz!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Staying Alive: Tony Manero is still a dick. At least his "girlfriend" doesn't get tag-teamed in the back of a car. Vince Dicola soundtrack, eff the Bee Gees.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Finally got around to watching Swiss Army Man.

Amusing if ultimately aimless. Seems like it's going to be one thing until the last 4 minutes of the movie when it becomes something much more absurd and, frankly, less interesting.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finally Saw Dunkirk and maaaaaaan, that was amazing. Nolan is in a whole 'nother level in terms of filmmaking. What a movie. Srsly, go see it if you still haven't!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Alien: Covenant - felt like kind of a weird middle ground between a proper Alien movie and Prometheus to me. Worked okay as that, but I'd rather have one or the other, not half-ass both.

The characters were really weak. Fassbender's scenes were basically all that mattered, and McBride was the only other actor who registered.

Ending was super predictable.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
A theater by us was showing "Jaws". It was great to see this movie in a theater.

After the credits they showed this:

It was a nice touch to see that at the end of a movie in 2017.

100proof

10 Year Member
Watched the new DC Animated movie Batman and Harley Quinn. Some weird ass shit. I don't even know to recommend it for fans of the animated Batman stuff. It's like two steps away from being Looney Tunes. There's a fart joke in the Batmobile. There's more Yiddish than at a New York barmitzvah. There's a Hooters restaurant where the waitresses dress like female heroes/villains. And there's some truly strange titillation.

I dunno... it tries so hard to be entertaining and it actually has some decent writing for Harley (making her a strong character without being twatty feminist nonsense) but it's such a weird tonal shift for a Batman animated movie. I'm putting wayyyy too much thought in to a direct-to-video 75 min. cartoon but the whole thing was just so damn weird.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally got around to watching Swiss Army Man.

Amusing if ultimately aimless. Seems like it's going to be one thing until the last 4 minutes of the movie when it becomes something much more absurd and, frankly, less interesting.

Funny enough...I really liked the ending to the film. It's the opposite of how many films end lately.

Alien: Covenant - felt like kind of a weird middle ground between a proper Alien movie and Prometheus to me. Worked okay as that, but I'd rather have one or the other, not half-ass both.

The characters were really weak. Fassbender's scenes were basically all that mattered, and McBride was the only other actor who registered.

Ending was super predictable.

Ugg...we had a LONG discussion on this one earlier this year. The longer I got away from the film, the less I liked it. Now, I'm to the point where I'll likely never watch it again.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Ugg...we had a LONG discussion on this one earlier this year. The longer I got away from the film, the less I liked it. Now, I'm to the point where I'll likely never watch it again.
Yeah, I looked at the thread. I don't know that I'd call it a slap in the face, but there were multiple elements that felt pretty off. Why'd David worship Elizabeth?
Spoiler:
He seems to honestly hate all humans. I assume he sees her as kind of the "mother" of the species he created? I'd guess he did it for appearance's sake, but he kept that picture of her and all, that wouldn't have been for appearance's sake.

The arm-raising scene was hilariously stupid, definitely.

100proof

10 Year Member
The Void - Low budget body horror flick. Definitely not in the same class as the best stuff from the 80s (Cronenberg, Alien, The Thing, Re-Animator, etc.) but it's great at building tension and does a lot with what little it has to work with. Plus it's always great to see practical effects monsters. Recommend it to anyone who misses old body horror movies.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dunkirk - less a war film and more of a horror, where an unseen and unrelenting enemy continually beats the heroes into submission the entire film.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Labyrinth - When i watch this as a kid i found it a bit weird & watch it again its still weird as fuck.
Shot Caller - One of the better films ive seen this year

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The Void - Low budget body horror flick. Definitely not in the same class as the best stuff from the 80s (Cronenberg, Alien, The Thing, Re-Animator, etc.) but it's great at building tension and does a lot with what little it has to work with. Plus it's always great to see practical effects monsters. Recommend it to anyone who misses old body horror movies.

Yeah i agree, very nice to see a horror flic with animatronic effects and not much cgi, i watched it a few months ago, not great but it held my attention to the end.
I watched the autopsy of jane doe around the same time and that was ok as well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I watched Kong: Skull Island on the weekend and loved it. I'd heard a lot of mixed things, a lot of "it's alright", but it was pretty much everything I want from a monster movie. Just a good time, fast paced, with fun characters and great looking monsters. I much preferred it to the Godzilla remake, which I thought took itself a bit too seriously. I'm hoping Legendary keep this similar tone going forward. Michael Dougherty is directing the next Godzilla, so I'd guess they are as Trick 'R Treat and Krampus are great fun.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I've got this on my "to watch" list. Looking forward to it.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
"Valerian and the city of a thousand planets" Huge dissapointment. Spectacle without substance. Even dissregarding the comics it wasn't a pleasant watch.