Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm the Hershel of NG.Com now.

Have you ever considered that you should troll Wasabi more...

Make fake film threads and stuff...

xROTx

PS. The KIng... from Netflix... it was actually quite good...

Those damn Frenchies needed a good ass pounding...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
One of my favourites.

Richard E. Grant didn't drink. That first scene where he's talking about smearing his body with vaso to warm up, the director had given him a bottle of vodka the night before and said drink this, so he was brutally hungover for that and likely the rest of the movie.

The final scene where they part way is tragic. I love this movie so much.

Also one of my all time fav films!!

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Have you ever considered that you should troll Wasabi more...

Make fake film threads and stuff...

xROTx

PS. The KIng... from Netflix... it was actually quite good...

Those damn Frenchies needed a good ass pounding...

I thought The King looked good, but it was just kind of way out there with the more fiction then fact on that one. I liked it well enough.

I kind of feel like Timothée Chalamet was a little on the un-likeable side and a bit too young for the part even though he is only like about five or so years younger than the character he was playing. I liked the side characters better.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Booksmart
Saw this in theaters and loved it. Watched it again and loved it again. There are a few things I didn't like (Billy Lourde lays it on pretty thick and some of the jokes aren't funny) but I'd still say it's either this, Lighthouse, and Parasite as best of the year. Hoping to see Little Joe before deciding, though.

How about.....

Robotech > Gundam

#trollface

I like the original Macross a lot. But I'm not sure anything beats Zeta Gundam when trying to be Objective. I'd have a hard time deciding between that and Eva as my all-time favorite. (Bubblegum Crisis would be a close third.)

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Timothée Chalamet

Terrible actor, the reason for his uptick is prolly that he's peddling his virtue to some #metoo producer, can you imagine this guy as Paul Atreides :-E

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'd have a hard time deciding between that and Eva as my all-time favorite. (Bubblegum Crisis would be a close third.)

I was obsessed with Eva as a teen but I can't watch it anymore. Did the 4.0 ever come out?

fake

15 Year Member
I was obsessed with Eva as a teen but I can't watch it anymore. Did the 4.0 ever come out?

I haven't watched it since I was 19, but the impact it had on me was huge, so I still count it as my favorite. I read the manga for the first time last year and it was great. Shinji isn't such a little bitch in that version, though.

Coming out next summer in Japan. I'm not very excited. It looks CGI / cel shaded instead of hand-drawn. Kinda like those Godzilla Netflix movies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
At Eternity’s Gate

My friends and I play a game sometimes where we ask “if you could stop any actor from making more movies, who would it be?” Or “which actor should be making more movies?” I think Julian Schnabel should direct more movies. I have long enjoyed almost everything about Basquiat, which boasted a truly ensemble cast, and was blown away by Diving Bell and Butterfly. Eternity’s Gate was beautifully done, and explored the sadness and frustration of being an artist dedicated to expression of art (not to be confused with today’s market of Koons or Hirst), while delivering some stunning rationalizations, like having a gift for the wrong time period, and seeing beauty in sadness.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
At Eternity’s Gate

My friends and I play a game sometimes where we ask “if you could stop any actor from making more movies, who would it be?” Or “which actor should be making more movies?”

Stop: Tyler Perry. Enough already. Just... stop.

More: Jean Reno

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
At Eternity’s Gate

My friends and I play a game sometimes where we ask “if you could stop any actor from making more movies, who would it be?” Or “which actor should be making more movies?” I think Julian Schnabel should direct more movies. I have long enjoyed almost everything about Basquiat, which boasted a truly ensemble cast, and was blown away by Diving Bell and Butterfly. Eternity’s Gate was beautifully done, and explored the sadness and frustration of being an artist dedicated to expression of art (not to be confused with today’s market of Koons or Hirst), while delivering some stunning rationalizations, like having a gift for the wrong time period, and seeing beauty in sadness.

Wil have to check that out, sounds intriguing

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Regarding Char's Counterattack:

Like almost everything Yoshiyuki Tomino is given complete control of, with no one to check him, he tends to be all over the place, inserts too many subplots and side characters and has far too many tangents going on at once.

On one hand, you could argue 'well, that's life'. But a story isn't life. A story is a carefully constructed, contrived even, sequence of events meant to engage an audience. In the real world, people yell over each other when they argue. In fiction, they cut promos on each other. It's theater. So I don't accept 'well, that's just Tomino depicting the complications of life in a complicated world', which is an argument I've heard many apologists make.

I love Gundam. Maybe more than an aging fan should.

But there it is.

Char's Counterattack has fragments of a truly great movie in it. There are certainly a lot of great scenes. The asteroid falling on Lhasa. Paraya's politicking to force his way onto the shuttle. Amuro shutting his emotions down because he is afraid of his own feelings hurting others, which is a magnificently realized sequence when the Nu-Gundam's fin funnels activate on their own when the Geara Doga heat lines activate, which results in Gyunie crushing Kayra. Char knowing where the nukes are through amplified newtype intuition. The scene where loyal spacenoids are singing the Neo Zeon anthem to Char on a train. Amuro and Char confronting one another on Sweetwater and engaging in a fistfight that nearly ends when Amuro decides to shoot Char rather than let his crazy plan go on. The entire idea of Char concocting this scheme to wipe out all oldtypes simply to prove to Amuro that patience isn't necessary for oldtypes. The bravery of Brite Noa and his crew storming Axis to plant and then detonate nukes. And, of course, that final duel between Amuro and Char which still stands as the greatest and most important fight in all of Gundam bar NONE.

But it also has Gyunie Gus. And Kayra Sue. And Rezin Schneider. And Hathaway Noah. And Quess Paraya. And Chien Agi. And a whole host of other characters and events that seem packed into a sardine can that simply doesn't have any real room for them. Gyunei Gus goes from being a loyal soldier to wanting to overthrow Char just so he can have Quess Paraya all to himself. Kayra Sue, who is in a romance with Astonaige Mendosa, just seems like a pretty face that can't really pilot anything worth a damn but she gets Amuro's cast off and performs so poorly in it that she ends up as a hostage and then killed. Hathaway Noa's only purpose there is to kill Chien Agi, who herself is just there to infuse the T Sample with a soul so it can catalyze the Nu-Gundam's psycho frame to bring about the Axis Shock. Rezin Schneider is an oldtype that is willing to help Char make her strain of homo sapiens obsolete without thinking what might happen to her if Char gets his way. All of these things could have been great stories if they had a TV series to flesh them out more. It's the same problem with Gundam F-91, which I think could have been a fantastic soft reboot of Gundam but, like CCA, just has too much going on and suffers with poor pacing and an overload of subplots as a result. At least with CCA, long time fans could make sense of the majority of it in one way or another. But for a soft reboot, F-91 deserved better.

Anyway, I think it's a worthy movie but without a better storyteller around, like Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, to guide Tomino's wildly imaginative mind, the end result is usually far too excessive and chaotic. Tomino needs a handler at times. Although I think Victory Gundam had a pretty good pace and didn't seem too wildly incoherent. Also has my third favorite ending to anything Gundam, after the original TV series and CCA.

Also, the animation only looks dated by modern standards. For it's day, there wasn't that much that looked better than CCA. I can confirm it certainly has better production values than, say, Macross '84: Do You Remember Love, which has stunning colors and those beautiful dark lined Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs but is a sorely dated film that doesn't hold up on its technical merits. CCA is still eminently watchable on a technical level, and for its time it was quite advanced.

I'd still give it 4.5 out of 5 because its strengths are good enough to vastly overpower its flaws.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
At Eternity’s Gate

Watched this twice in the past few days. It was exceptionally well done and Defoe did a spectacular job. I really appreciated the honest portrayal of mental illness as well as the relationship between Van Gogh and Gauguin.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Alien 3 Assembly Cut

In some parts better than the theatrical one, in others one could clearly see why the (parts of) scenes were left on the cutting room floor. Still, I like it more than Aliens, it is closer to the spirit of the original movie and not a "Dirty Dozen in SPAAACE!"

2½/5

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Alien 3 Assembly Cut

In some parts better than the theatrical one, in others one could clearly see why the (parts of) scenes were left on the cutting room floor. Still, I like it more than Aliens, it is closer to the spirit of the original movie and not a "Dirty Dozen in SPAAACE!"

2½/5
That the one w the cow instead of the dog? It was better than the original.

But I mean... Aliens > *

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Watched this twice in the past few days. It was exceptionally well done and Defoe did a spectacular job. I really appreciated the honest portrayal of mental illness as well as the relationship between Van Gogh and Gauguin.

Think about the atmosphere and cadence, there was a similarity in Frida. Something something about suffering and art being intertwined. The more full my belly the shittier my output.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
IT: Chapter 2 - kind of a jarring change from the first one into more straight-up horror. Works okay I suppose, but that second act could have been FAR shorter. Lot of the CGI looked pretty bad.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I also got around to IT: Chapter 2. I admit I watched it over the course of two sittings because I was bored and not in to it so I'm sure that affects my feelings. The adult losers have almost no chemistry, it's 3 hours long and it feels every minute of it and the CG/monsters were what I'd expect from a live action Scooby Doo. The first one was largely a series of jump scares but it was carried by earnest performances from the kids and a unique take on Pennywise by whichever Skaarsgard plays the clown. This one is as subtle as a brick through your front window. The formula is completely exposed and manipulative. Like a Friday the 13th movie but without even the fun of watching some half-dressed 80s dope get murdered. Anyway, my expectations were pretty low from reviews and friends' reactions but I was still disappointed.

Also saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang at the Alamo earlier in the week for the umpteenth time. Holiday season means Die Hard and Shane Black movies in our house. This is still Shane Black at his absolute best. The smart, quippy dialogue sounds natural coming out of Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan does the "effortlessly smart and sexy female lead" thing in equal measures and the narration/fourth wall breaking is used just judiciously enough to not ruin the movie's pace and structure. "And for all of you good people in the Midwest, sorry we said fuck so much". It's my wife's all-time favorite movie so it made for a good date night.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
The Irishman...meh. almost like an history lesson class, going through event a,b,c like they are not even connected, just happening...sorry, looks to me more a celebrative movie for the cast/director themselves, reunited and whatnot...also, the de-aging CG really uncanny..mostly because of the body language of a 70+ on a supposedly ..40 or younger.

fake

15 Year Member
Also saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang at the Alamo earlier in the week for the umpteenth time. Holiday season means Die Hard and Shane Black movies in our house. This is still Shane Black at his absolute best. The smart, quippy dialogue sounds natural coming out of Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan does the "effortlessly smart and sexy female lead" thing in equal measures and the narration/fourth wall breaking is used just judiciously enough to not ruin the movie's pace and structure. "And for all of you good people in the Midwest, sorry we said fuck so much". It's my wife's all-time favorite movie so it made for a good date night.

I love KKBB.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
The Irishman...meh. almost like an history lesson class, going through event a,b,c like they are not even connected, just happening...sorry, looks to me more a celebrative movie for the cast/director themselves, reunited and whatnot...also, the de-aging CG really uncanny..mostly because of the body language of a 70+ on a supposedly ..40 or younger.

also...when it comes to Hoffa, I can't stop thinking of the dog scene in Bruce almighty.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - what a beautifully shot film. I love watching older movies set around the world just to get a glimpse. The end when Indiana tries to grab the grail after Elsa failed, and his father - who has searched his entire life for the grail - just says, "Indiana...Indiana, let it go" is so powerful to me. It was his way of saying his son's life is worth more than something he spent his entire life looking for, just a cup in the end.

I miss films like these.

edit: is this the best father-son movie? What other father-son films are there?