Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I just finished watching CQ.

I think I remember someone else mentioning it in this this thread, but I can't look through 150+ pages, and "CQ" is too short for the search function to pick up on.

I liked it a lot. Anyone else see it?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You guys can burn me at the stake, but I FINALLY got around to seeing "Assault on Precinct 13".

Never saw it because it didn't seem that appealing at first glance. I thought it would be another "meh" John Carpenter film... the only two I never fancied that much by him were" The Fog" and "Lord of Darkness". All his other are some of my absolute favorite films of all time.

As for "Assault on Precinct 13". Fucking action GOLD. I loved it, all around... the music, the action, the characters, the dialogue; all first rate stuff. I gotta buy this movie. I feel ashamed I never gave it a proper chance until now.

I saw it on netflix instant a while back too. That ice cream scene, man. Just wow.

Recently I saw Django. Cool movie. Funny how outdated its controversial scenes were. It hurts that I got to see the guy's ear as he was falling back. You figure they woulda filmed him from a different side. The scene where they break his hands was pretty boss, though.

Just got finished with Falling Down. I can see why some movie execs thought Joel would be a good director for Batman Forever, hell I can see it in this movie too. And in the final scene, I realized this was one of those movies I saw when I was a kid but never knew the name of, so bonus.

Anyway the movie stirred some emotion inside of me, and I don't quite understand it, but I recognize it.

Great flick that deserves more recognition. Or at least, I don't know, a mention when talking about awesome 90s movies.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Paul (the alien)

Same duo starring in Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Some of the jokes and running gags don't quite pan out. But there was enough action and comedy it did get right to recommend it. "B - "

Limitless

One of the better films I have seen this year with strong performances from Bradley Cooper and DeNiro. Plenty of strong dialog and action to keep the pace going. I had a couple minor story quibbles but other than that not much to complain about. "B+"

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Holloween- I have seen this countless times and honestly Carpenter is really just at his old school best. Kind of hard to praise it enough, he pretty much just sets the stage for all teen slasher movies made since then and I think a lot of people kind of take it for granted. I've seen it dismissed as boring or lacking gore.

Yeah uh... when you make the mold and people abuse it I can see how it could come off as that in hindsight.

Makes me look forward to fall.

Seed of Chucky- Shit. Total shit. But I can't turn down a movie that stars Jennifer Tilly, Redman and John Waters. Not much more to say honestly.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Knightriders

Knightriders.jpg

I could do a 'full Taiso review' of this one, but I figured I'd spare you and just write a short version.

A wonderfully wierd movie about a travelling renaissance faire, the personalities involved, the troubles they face in a modern world and why they keep doing it even though it leads to a difficult and underprivileged life.

I was pretty surprised at how liberated this movie was in 1981. The wildly clashing lifestyles, the ideological conflicts, the dissilusionment of people finding a purpose, losing their way in the ratrace that is normal life and then finding it in themselves to dream again.

I really liked this movie quite a bit. I don't consider it a perfect film, but just like a travelling ren faire that makes up for its low budget in heart and spirit, this movie overcomes the production flaws with the heart of its message.

In a lot of ways, I can imagine this being George Romero's most intensely personal film. This is a real love letter not just to people that put on ren faires, but to anyone living a fringer life because it means something. Romero's film productions are very much labors of love, and his cast and crew are much like the former nomads that help run the ren faire in the movie. Maybe they don't have the most money and maybe they don't get the big glitzy push, but they do what they do because they love it and that is a treasure all the fame and riches in the world can't touch.

The movie's tagline is 'Camelot is a state of mind.' I really like that, and think it can apply to anything where people hold on to dreams and believe in them no matter how lean times get.

Plus, it's got motorcycles instead of horses.

There hasn't ever been a movie like this and I doubt there ever will be one again. See it because of the great cast (Ed Harris, Tom Savini, Ken Foree, Patricia Tallman, and many faces you haven't seen before or since) at a very early point in their careers and see it for its wonderful, quirky wierdness.

As a person that continues to hold on to his childhood fixations (gaming, comic books, escapism in general,) I really found this movie to be an affirmation that there is still worth in holding on to the things that still excite you. This movie surrounds the characters with a world of cynicism, they nearly fall prey to it but then they form up behind the walls of their imaginary Camelot and fight it off like the brotherhood of knights they are in their hearts and souls.

And they do it on motorcycles.

Plus, there's a hysterical fight at the end between Ed Harris and a corrupt cop.

4 out of 5.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Limitless

One of the better films I have seen this year with strong performances from Bradley Cooper and DeNiro. Plenty of strong dialog and action to keep the pace going. I had a couple minor story quibbles but other than that not much to complain about. "B+"

It was a cute movie, but limitless is a bit ironic when it's about a drug that lets you use 100% of your brain, thereby acknowledging a limit. Also funny how all these people used the drug and it took Morra to be the one who finally uses his jailbroken brain to work out the kinks. Really?

Nice avatar.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Just watched the original "Straw Dogs" by Sam Peckinpaw. I know it is generally very well reviewed, but I thought it was just cartoonishly stupid. I don't think the examination of the relationship between Hoffman's character and whatshernuts was particularly insightful, and neither was the discussion of mans' violence.

Any appeal that the sex and violence may have had upon release has long since faded.

Boo.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I could watch the film upside down. Would that help?

I guess I could look at it as a tragedy, and that Hoffman's hubris, or vanity or whatever caused the final horrible conflict, but I think it might be reaching a bit.

You know, if it were a straight up rape revenge fantasy, it might have been clearer, but the inclusion of the dim-witted child predator things was just clumsy and silly. I don't know; I didn't dig it as much as I thought I would.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just tell me this,

did you get a boner when the chick got raped and liked it?

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Just tell me this,

did you get a boner when the chick got raped and liked it?

Not so much. I found her very unattractive, and just kept imagining what she would look like as a middle aged woman the entire time, with her big poofy cheeks and jangly brown teeth. I found myself really disliking her as a character for some reason. I was upset with her for enjoying the rape and ultimately trying to leave the house with her rapist. Maybe I subconsciously hate women?

Hoffman was as enjoyable as always to watch, though.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Heartbreaking.
Especially about them closing down Charity, stopping support to certain schools, all the post kartrina stuff.
As if the storm wasn't bad enough.

It really is, making my way through Act III. I thought the montage of the dead bodies was going to be the roughest part of this

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Just watched Everything Must Go, the indie-style Will Ferell movie where he gets fired, etc. It's kind of the same thing I've seen before (materialism is bad!), but I really enjoyed it anyway. Thumbs up.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Is anyone gonna watch (or has watched) "Warrior?" I have been hearing good things about it, especially in relation to Nolte and Hardy's (Bane) performances. I wasn't gonna watch the film initially because I'm not really an MMA fan, but I heard the story was just really compelling.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Is anyone gonna watch (or has watched) "Warrior?" I have been hearing good things about it, especially in relation to Nolte and Hardy's (Bane) performances. I wasn't gonna watch the film initially because I'm not really an MMA fan, but I heard the story was just really compelling.

Half compelling drama half well done fights

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i want to see drive this weekend. cannot wait. >_<

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
Simon Pegg's Paul - was actually a lot more fun than i expected

Attack the Block.....really fun

John Carpenter's The Ward...it was watchable

!!!!!!!! MASSIVE SPOILER !!!!!!!!!! it's just the movie Identity !!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Was there anything you liked about the movie? Would you recommend it to others?

BTW-Filipino?

As a mma fan I originally only wanted to see it because of that( even had many notable people associated with the sport in the movie ) but as a guy who can't stand sappy stuff in movies some of it was really done well. I'm not saying Hardy should get a oscar nod for this movie but I wouldn't be upset if he did get one, the turmoil within the family was really great stuff and I tip my hat to Nolte. I'd recommend this to any one weather they like mma or "sports movies" or not

No but several of my very close friends are filipino as well as my significant other being half, rep the flag for them

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm catching up here.

X-Men First Class - Excellent movie that's reminiscent of the first one. But I'm biased since I'm an X-Men fan. A few of the performances didn't quite fit, and some of the hax powers made me facepalm a little. But it was good stuff nonetheless. 8/10

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Contagion

6f0782bfb7edf6a7da45396de8e33cb9-d3ar5zu.jpg

They don't make movies like this anymore.

And by that, I mean 'good disaster movies.'

Although not technically a disaster movie, it has that same kind of ensemble cast film where the characters are simply ciphers for the frenetically mounting plot. The characters don't know each other, don't directly interact with each other and their actions are all, either intentionally or unintentionally, smaller components of a greater whole. The only thing they all have in common is that they're all fighting the virus, which is really the star/main character of the movie. I kind of appreciated this aspect of the film, as it showed how a problem like this might be solved. There are no big moments where all the characters are sitting in the same room while one man tells them all how they're going to 'beat this thing.' Nobody's pointing fingers, getting angry, making wild faces and doing ridiculous things. I imagine that, for the most part, the screenplay's focus was on trying to get us to believe in the scenario. When your main character is a faceless infection, there is intense pressure on you as a writer to give it a voice through the ensemble cast's words and, more importantly, their actions. I'd say Soderbergh pulled it off very well.

This is not a movie about bombast. As I've stated, the characters do not have their big action moment. The WHO, the CDC, the Chinese and US governments and even independent studies groups and internet bloggers all play roles in the spreading and controlling of the virus and the mass panic that ensues as a result. All the bureaucracy, politics, logistics, science and greed accompanying such an event are played out with exactly the right amount of screen time and summary in order for you to understand that this thing is spreading and time is moving too fast for people to adequately deal with it.

It's an interesting irony in the film, then, that forces collude against the virus from all corners and walks of life. As the movie progresses, you eventually learn, in an omniscient POV which the characters aren't privy to, how the whole thing started. It's no one specific thing and it's no bioweapon (thank heaven for that.) It's a freak of fate, a bizarre confluence of circumstances from several tangentially related events, that kicks it off. By the same token, it's a bunch of human beings, similarly tangentially related by their unified cause and nothing else, that all add to the mix to ultimately defeat the killer monster.

And while the movie wastes no time on character exposition-there is no wasted space here and no long, drawn out or contrived scenes of characters going into painful length about their motivations-they come off as more realistic sympathetic than anybody in your standard summer action film. The Lawrence Fishburn character, a man of conscience, does something at one point in the movie that is a contributing factor to the social instability in the midwest during the film's second act. The movie doesn't waste time with ten minutes psychoanalyzing him-it just expects us to believe he's a three dimensional character because it isn't a self conscious narrative, desperate for our approval and adoration. It expects us to believe it's innocent until proven guilty, and in my opinion it never lets us down in that respect. It is just a great example of omniscient POV. It gives us exactly what we need because we can't be everywhere at once.

As a director, Soderbergh can be proud. This movie is compelling and provocative but it still manages to communicate its message effectively and without complication. Today's audience might find it a bit off putting that certain characters die so suddenly or that there are no big 'hero' moments. But that is the stuff of less talented storytellers. Let lesser directors put casts more talented than they deserve through the ridiculous theatrics of outrunning the end of the world on cars and planes. I won't say Contagion is a PERFECT movie, but it's better than most of its competition.

4 out of 5 stars