Anyone wanna start a Neo character art contest?

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
It might be fun, it's been so long since I have drawn anything Neo. Although I might add, I have no belief I have any chance of winning.

But it'd be kind of cool, and of course it'd be very Neo related. Maybe we could get a link to the winner on the main N-G.com page?

Sound interesting? We could have a prize. I could probably scrounge up something game related to volunteer as a prize.

I think it'd be a good idea.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
I really like the idea!! :) I want to take part if the contest start

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Considering the level of talent displayed by members who have put up their work in this section, I think the real winners would be the rest of us who get to check out the awesome artwork that'd be on display from such a contest. Can't wait to see who chooses to participate.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
So....how exactly does this work?
Do you pick a character to draw at random?
Or is there a character selected per week and the best submission for said character put on the front page?

I'd like to submit some drawings.
They're mostly pencil draings and colored pencils.

They ain't Monets. But they are sketches.
Just have to find me a scanner.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Anyone who has any suggestions please put them forward. Maybe we could start this thing in about a week, maybe by next Friday. I don't necessarily want to make the rules, but I sorta think it should go like this-

1) Each contestant picks a single Neo character and does a single submission of their finished art. The only requirement here is that it has to be a character that originated in a Neo Geo game. (so no SF Ryu from SvC:Chaos obviously :)). Just any Neo character basically, and just one. It could be Haohmaru, Ryo, Fio, Andy Bogard, one of the pilots from Pulstar or Blazing Star, ANYTHING SNK. Going back to 8-Bit days if you like.

2) It can be in any medium you like. BW, color, pencils, prismas, paint, marker, digital. No rules there- any sort of artwork counts. Even sculpture is cool. It's all going to be determined by this website and the votes each contestant recieves.

3) We will set a start date and an end date for submissions. Then, all contestants finished pieces will be posted at once, in the form of a poll(?). Then it's just a matter of votes.

4) We will advertise the contest ahead of time, and after the voting begins, in the 'News and Rumours' section of the board. Hopefully, we can get lots of people from all the subforums to check out the work and vote.

5) There will be a prize. Now, maybe (a big maybe) we could get Shawn involved or something. Or maybe some of our more prosperous members could volunteer a prize. As it is now, I'll pony up a prize if there's not a better alternative. But it'd be something sorta modest. But I'll figure something out if need be. I think we need a prize to get more people entering. I really like the idea that maybe even people who don't contribute to creative would enter.

I think it could be not only hella fun, but a real attention-grabber for the 'creative' section.

Feedback feedback feedback. I don't want this to be my thing. I want to enter myself.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Its this all-encompassing the SNK universe? ADK?

I'd like to give a try at Hanzo or Fuuma.
I have a decent Andy Bogard drawn somewhere around here.

Just making sure I'm not going to be overstepping boundaries and wasting time by drawing characters that wouldn't be eligible.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
KagerouSama said:
Its this all-encompassing the SNK universe? ADK?

I'd like to give a try at Hanzo or Fuuma.
I have a decent Andy Bogard drawn somewhere around here.

Just making sure I'm not going to be overstepping boundaries and wasting time by drawing characters that wouldn't be eligible.

Anything in a Neo game that originated (or was made famous) by the Neo. Even Karnov, who was around way before the Neo.

I am 50% going to do Karasu from ADK's Ninja Masters. And I would say the rules are pretty lenient. Just something Neo related I think is most important. Any World Heroes character is 100% fine-amundo.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Im down. Sounds like alot of fun actually. Especially if we can pick the character to draw, but im still down for it regardless.

I'll check back soon to see what the rules and details are. Good idea man.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Haha, ah yes. You guys are pros. Like super good concept/ID guys (that one goes to Seth especially). I am still going to give my submission my all though. Competition is such a motivator. Even if your competition is partly made up of talented, professional artists who shall destroy you. I will have to work that much harder! :) Talented bastards.

I am doing either Karasu from Ninja Masters, or Genjuro from SS.

I'm going to be contacting the mods hopefully, and maybe we can get some attention on this thing.

EDIT: Looking at Seth's work reminds me SO much of classes I took at a school called Gnomon in Hollywood years ago. Ah you talented monster, saw your site too.

Last edited:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
This could be fun. If I can convince my sister to let me use her scanner, I'll gladly give it a shot.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I haven't heard anything from the Mod Squad yet. SO I don't have any new info on that front. But I know I'm gonna have to take some initiative, so let's just get the ball rolling on this. None of this is set in stone, but I am going to go ahead and say these are the contest guidelines/rules.

* Each contestant will submit one piece of art (any type is fine- even sculpture or action figures if you like). i.e.: One scan/digital image or photo of your artwork.

* Each contestant picks their subject. The subject needs to be either an SNK character or a character popularized in a Neo-Geo or SNK game.

* There will be a set period when submissions are accepted. As it stands now, the submission period will either be 2 weeks or a month.

* There will be a prize. This is as yet undetermined. If I have to pony it up, I'll mail it to you at my expense. (Only prob. here is that I don't have too many good potential prizes)

* If I can manage it, the winning piece (and maybe the 1-3rd runners-up) will at the very least get 'stickied'.

Once again, anyone who wants to help in planning this is very welcome.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm game (with support, not drawing something), sounds very nice. Should not be a problem to insert a link on the ng.com home page, will talk to the other mods about it.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I'll volunteer the following as a prize:

Neobitz-S (SVideo/Composite) Fully Assembled Board ($55 value).

Winner has option to have it installed for free in an AES system (if they want to send in their AES system) provided that they cover return shipping costs.

Jeff

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it would be better if all contestants had to draw the same character.

The host would choose a character at random or 2 characters and the contestants have to draw both characters together doing whatever they want. Like fighting each other or hanging out at the beach etc.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
awesome.

Thanks for the kind words neobuyer and thanks for everyones support for this contest. I think its going to be alot of fun and we will likely see a lot of good artwork come out of it.

If we all draw the same character, which is actually a pretty good idea since it is a contest my vote is for either Hanzou or Basara.

Cant wait to get rolling on this, let me know if anyone needs help with anything (setting up and what not)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i think this contest should be exclusively limited to mspaint submissions.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
JMKurtz said:
I'll volunteer the following as a prize:

Neobitz-S (SVideo/Composite) Fully Assembled Board ($55 value).

Winner has option to have it installed for free in an AES system (if they want to send in their AES system) provided that they cover return shipping costs.

Jeff

NICE!

That is amazing man. Very cool and much appreciated.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ok guys, I think there's really only one big question mark now- would people rather see a single character drawn- or each contestant pick their own.

Personally, I like the idea of picking my own because I want to do a SamSho or LB/NM character.

But- hmm. Maybe I'll make a poll, leave it open for a week and then it'll be decided?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm definitely interested, and I appreciate that you're including sculpture as an accepted medium (while I can certainly draw, just look at my sig pictures, I seldom do so anymore).

I think the pick your own character approach is best--it's far too restrictive to have to do something around one character (and there's always the chance that people won't like/have any interest in said character). If you were going to restict it, I'd say restrict it to a particular game series (i.e., KOF, SS, LB, AOF, etc) rather than one character. But, again, I think it's better to just let people pick whatever they want, so long as it's SNK.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
Maybe one of the possible goals of this contest could be to generate an illustration for an insert's cover :), great to see this as sticky

Buyatari

n00b
I have no talent but I collect the original paintings when I can find them. Anyone else collect this stuff? I'm new here so if this is the wrong place for these let me know.

This one is HUGE it was used for the cabinet side art on the arcade machine.

King%20of%20the%20Monsters%202.jpg

King%20of%20the%20Monsters%201.jpg

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
It's an interesting idea and It'll give me the initiative to start drawing again. I'll definitely have the time to as my university's Thanksgiving break starts this weekend for me.

PS. The cab-art looks great, just the wrong thread to share it in.

Buyatari

n00b
Hakkai said:
It's an interesting idea and It'll give me the initiative to start drawing again. I'll definitely have the time to as my university's Thanksgiving break starts this weekend for me.

PS. The cab-art looks great, just the wrong thread to share it in.

I wanted to start a new thread but couldn't as I was a new member. This was the closest thread I could find. Is there a thread on this started already?

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
p02td6.gif

It's...Miller Time!
:lolz:

Nice first entry...can't wait to see what else is will be coming up.