Castlevania-The Dracula X Chronicles Thread of Ass-Whippage

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Sorry I'm tardy to the party...

I have been playing this game for the past week... just got it with my red PSP.

Two things about original Rondo:

1.) The music skips a lot. This is only on the OG Rondo game. Is that normal?

2.) I can't even beat the 2nd level, especially when you go down the first pitfall after the bull starts chasing you. I didn't remember this stage being so hard...

But yeah, I can only play OG Rondo in short doses, before the urge to kill rises.

PS: I have the JPN version.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't want to alarm you, but I don't remember the music on mine skipping even once, and I've played through all 3 games a few times now.

One thing I did notice, though, is that on the original Rondo, the dialogue in the cutscenes sometimes didn't synch with the animation.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
SouthtownKid said:
I don't want to alarm you, but I don't remember the music on mine skipping even once, and I've played through all 3 games a few times now.

One thing I did notice, though, is that on the original Rondo, the dialogue in the cutscenes sometimes didn't synch with the animation.

Yeah, mine had more serious issues... like, when you started a new game, the opening music would start... but with a black screen. Then after the song was done, the animation would play w/o music.

It may be the JP version... dunno.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I had a sputter in sound once in Symphony. Once.
piscopo_joe.jpg

Reality Check

World Hero
Late to the party as always. Been playing this game a bit since I got it in October. I got into Castlevania with SotN and it's so damn refreshing playing a Castlevania game that is straight forward. I'm between Rondo and the remake right now. I find the remake to be so much better. Plays better, has better quality sound, love the rearranged and remixed music, and the art direction is fantastic. Love Kojima's redesign of Ricther and Maria.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
just picked this up , playing on my slim, i love it but i find it quite hard as i never played the original rondo , its pretty nice though and christ the slims dpad is lovely in comparison to the phats.

dunno if i'll play sotn on the psp as i have it on ps1/ps3 and i wasn't the biggest fan, it just seemed to turn into a mess after 90% or so.

plus i sucked at it :emb:

I think SCV4 is my favourite still, not a big fan of the metroidvania shite, I did enjoy DoS but SOTN when I played it after seemed like a chore, it was beautiful though at least, and I can appreciate it. I couldn't be arsed to play portrait of ruin, the trailers put me right off.

how about the nes ones which one is best? 1,2,3? or are all worth playing :emb:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
kernow said:
just picked this up , playing on my slim, i love it but i find it quite hard as i never played the original rondo , its pretty nice though and christ the slims dpad is lovely in comparison to the phats.

dunno if i'll play sotn on the psp as i have it on ps1/ps3 and i wasn't the biggest fan, it just seemed to turn into a mess after 90% or so.

plus i sucked at it :emb:

I think SCV4 is my favourite still, not a big fan of the metroidvania shite, I did enjoy DoS but SOTN when I played it after seemed like a chore, it was beautiful though at least, and I can appreciate it. I couldn't be arsed to play portrait of ruin, the trailers put me right off.

how about the nes ones which one is best? 1,2,3? or are all worth playing :emb:
The first one is the best!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
haha :emb: I hear super cv4 is just a remake of that anyway correct.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
kernow said:
haha :emb: I hear super cv4 is just a remake of that anyway correct.
Somewhat, but it has more to it I guess. I think all the castlevanias have been very good so far, exceot for LOI, I kind of liked COD though, I specially love the soundtrack to COD, defenately superb.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Favorite NES one is Dracula's Curse. I breeze though the first game too easily after I finally one lifed the game. Still working on 3 though, I never right down the passwords. So let's hope they release it on the VC.
Portrait of Ruin was decent, but Dawn of Sorrow was better. The dialog was terrible, it'd consist of questions, Jonathan getting upset, Charlotte saying calm down, and he would apologize, and then back to the game. The fight against Dracula and Death at the same time was really good though.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
FairlanePhantom said:
Favorite NES one is Dracula's Curse. I breeze though the first game too easily after I finally one lifed the game. Still working on 3 though, I never right down the passwords. So let's hope they release it on the VC.
Portrait of Ruin was decent, but Dawn of Sorrow was better. The dialog was terrible, it'd consist of questions, Jonathan getting upset, Charlotte saying calm down, and he would apologize, and then back to the game. The fight against Dracula and Death at the same time was really good though.
Those little dialogs reminded me of the fiasco that was Raiden and the chick in Metal Gear SOlid 2. God I hated that guy! I think that his design had a resembleance to grey fox or whatever the cyborg ninja from MGS was.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Yeah, pointless banter. I'm sure the resemblance was intentional considering he'll be a friggin ninja in 4. But yeah, Cyborg Ninja - Grey Fox - Frank Jaeger.

There's a name of a killer. Frank.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
YES. I finally bought this game.

One problem. I sold my PSP a while ago and need to buy a new one.
Can't wait to finally play this at some point. I keep reading about the music skipping in the original Rondo...any truth to this? I know this thread mentioned it, but it's hard to tell if it was from the hardware or software issue, or what.

Whatever, I'll be bumping this thread with impunity again in the near future.