Can I do this psu swap? Peter Chou for an Snk?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Peter Chou F102141288 for an SNK ETXA01C7J

Peter Chou

+5v 15a
gnd
gnd
-5v 1a
+12v 3a
FG
AC 115
AC 115

SNK

AC
AC
-5v ?a
+12v ?a
GND
GND
+5v ?a

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Hmm,I forget what the FG means...something Ground?(but I don't think you'll need it.

IMO it'll work..

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
thanks! That's what I wasn't sure about. It just has different wires going to it, that the regular ground and I am not sure if it's ok, lol...I know, stupid question that you'd think someone who's messed around with this shit for a while should know...but I don't want to mess anything up, lol.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
works great :)

DSCN9039.jpg

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
FG is field ground. It hooks to the ground wire that goes to the AC plug.

It's there for safety. Use it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
FG is field ground. It hooks to the ground wire that goes to the AC plug.

It's there for safety. Use it.

I know I am supposed to use it...but didn't know where since this psu didn't have FG. I just stuck it on the ground. :annoyed:

As for the wires being too close...good point. I was in a hurry...on my way to a b-day party this morning....Some I can't move (wire length), but I can did straighten them and swap a ground from one side to the other. They are all tight and nothing is going to move. I think it would have been fine the other way, lol..

DSCN9041.jpg

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you connect FG straight to the ground on the board without any caps or anything for isolation you may start to have problems with video ghosting or weird audio humming since the FG in your house can sometimes act like a giant antenna and pick up stray rf. Not a big deal but if you notice it happening, and it wasn't happening before, that's probably what it is.

*edit*It might be better to connect the FG to one of the chassis screws on the power supply? Anyone else ever tried that or have thoughts about it?*/edit*

cheers,
-DT

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
dogtoy said:
If you connect FG straight to the ground on the board without any caps or anything for isolation you may start to have problems with video ghosting or weird audio humming since the FG in your house can sometimes act like a giant antenna and pick up stray rf. Not a big deal but if you notice it happening, and it wasn't happening before, that's probably what it is.

*edit*It might be better to connect the FG to one of the chassis screws on the power supply? Anyone else ever tried that or have thoughts about it?*/edit*

cheers,
-DT

so why was the FG from the psu before this wired to the regular ground? Would this cause a pop in the speakers on boot up? I get that sometimes. Or would that be the reason the psu went out in the first place? It came from a coinop in San Fran. Also, I don't think this last psu was the original psu in the cab. When I pop in a game, I get a buz in the speakers, but there's an amp in the cab and when a pair of rca red and white plugs are in the jacks on the amp, the hum is gone. Weird? yeah...will this damage something? there's no real color issues.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If there isn't an FG connection I would connect it to the frame of the power supply or to the cabinet if it's metal.

RJ

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
If there isn't an FG connection I would connect it to the frame of the power supply or to the cabinet if it's metal.

RJ

cab is plastic, I did it (to screw on psu frame)...but the hum is still there unless the rca cables are attached. It plays fine so I am going to leave it alone. Thanks for the advice..