PSU for Hyper64?

purple

Geese's Thug
hi...i just found a power supply from inside of very old chase hq cabinet...its almost 20 cm long and 10 cm wide little black box...it has no sign or anything else on...it has 8 connections on it , from left to right +12v2a, -5v1a, gnd, gnd, +5v11a, fg, ac, ac. on the left side there is a pot that shows an circular arrow pointing to left side also on the right side there is a writing of95v~135vac
190v~260vac
inside change
47hz~63hz

i wonder if that psu can make hyper64 board work? i dont have camera but if its needed i can open the box and can take a shot using my friends camera...thanks...

Pas

Camel Slug
That sounds like your normal every day arcade power supply. It would meet the requirments for a H64 board (+5vdc 10amp min, +12vdc 1amp min, and -5vdc 1amp min). The pot is there to adjust your 5v level once you have a draw on the supply. The other switch is for switching between input power levels depending on which country it is being used in.

Last edited:

purple

Geese's Thug
i affraid to blow the board...i heard that it also affects the cart...can anyone explain me how can i be sure...is there any possibility to test it before i connect...like using multimeters? should i get same outputs when i test?

Pas

Camel Slug
Its a switching power supply. So your voltages will change when there is a draw on the powersupply. Plus if there isnt enough draw on the supply it wont act correctly anyhow...it needs a minimum draw to work correctly. You could hook up some other sort of draw to it...like anything that is roughly 5 volts. I have a power resistor that I use to put draws on power supplies but most people dont have stuff like that just laying around. Personaly I would just hook it up and turn it on with a multi meter already attached...if its super high and the pot doesnt set it low enough then unplug it and get a different supply...but thats just me. I have never had a power supply that was so failed that it did permanent damage to a board...Ive had one that was failed and was giving off odd voltages and making a board not run correctly but never burned anything up...I guess it is a posability but Id say its a prity slight chance.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
purple said:
i affraid to blow the board...i heard that it also affects the cart...can anyone explain me how can i be sure...is there any possibility to test it before i connect...like using multimeters? should i get same outputs when i test?

It wont blow the board, thats not how it works. The board pulls what it needs. Even though a board states a minimum of say 10 amps, it does actually use that much all the time, most times its for worse case senario if it has to draw that much.

I think the Rev1 only draws about 4A but they say it requires 10A. My Rev2 draws about 3A, sometimes 4A.

purple

Geese's Thug
this psu seems very old..i havent connect it to electricity yet but...i also affraid that maybe one of the parts inside is broken and could blow up :) is this possible?

Pas

Camel Slug
It is possable that a capasitor or somthing could pop. If your really worried about it I would just pitch it and buy a new one. Basic arcade power supplies like that are simple to find and only cost 20-30 usd (less if you pick them up from ebay or some such place). However if you want to test it just hook up a power cable and plug it in outside somwere so if it catches on fire or something pops you can unplug it and let it burn without burning down your place or anything...if all is fine just bring it back in and hook it up. Those are my suggestions anyhow.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Grab a new power supply if you are that unsure or try another jamma board and see if it blows up, heh. You can pick a ps up on ebay for under $30. Its a one time purchase, just think of it that way ;)

purple

Geese's Thug
As pas said i plugged it at somewhere outside...it didnt blow up :) i also tested everything with multimeter and every connections are giving me same value as written..anly +5 is like 4.7 or something...i dont know if its problem...one of my friends who graduated from electronic department told me that its not problem...the connection may be rusty or something...anyway...im starting to build my own supergun soon...im waiting to have ad chips...im planning to build supergun using neobitz guide...anyone here knows if is that neobitz s board working with hyper system? also anyone here experienced to connect hyper64 board to crt monitor using x2vga2 adapter? i think neobitz s board have component output and this is what x2vga2 needs...

Pas

Camel Slug
purple said:
As pas said i plugged it at somewhere outside...it didnt blow up :) i also tested everything with multimeter and every connections are giving me same value as written..anly +5 is like 4.7 or something...i dont know if its problem...one of my friends who graduated from electronic department told me that its not problem...the connection may be rusty or something...

Good to hear. Once you have a board hooked up to it you can adjust the 5v output with the pot right by the screw terminals. Just hook up your board and slowly turn it to bring it up past that 4.7v right at or just a hair over 5v. Then you should be good to go. Having a draw on the system will change the output slightly as well...but thats not a bad place to start at all...much better to start low than high for adjusting!

purple

Geese's Thug
thanks...really...i will post the pictures of me and my friends playing with it :) what about the supergun thing? do you think it will work with x2vga2 box? or you think its not right place to ask? should i ask it under the another forum?

Pas

Camel Slug
Im sure someone can help with the converter question. You may want to make a new post in the tech support or here in the h64 areas however...it may get more attention with a new title. I dont personaly have any experience with the neobitz or x2vga2. I have only used a JROK to go directly to the tv via component and never had it hooked to a H64 yet. One of these days when I get around to assemgling my supergun I will but for now it just sits in the closet waiting a good case and some joysticks. :crying: