How to print out images in a larger size without them looking like crap?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
So, I want to print out something in A0 size, something I made to be used as a poster in my room.

The problem is, as the guys at the print shop said, it will look stretched and low quality if printed out from a small image from a book A4 size...

I can scan at 1200dpi, will this be enough or do I have to save it as PDF or vector it?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Dreamer said:
So, I want to print out something in A0 size, something I made to be used as a poster in my room.

The problem is, as the guys at the print shop said, it will look stretched and low quality if printed out from a small image from a book A4 size...

I can scan at 1200dpi, will this be enough or do I have to save it as PDF or vector it?

Well, scanning the image at a high DPI will help greatly, but you will have one big ass file. A PDF or vector file would be an even better option because of the smaller file size coupled with the ability to print the image at any size without losing image integrity.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
PDF is just a container format.

Scanning a small image at 1200 DPI and blowing it up as a PDF isnt going to bring you anything but garbage.

Vector is the only way to go here.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
thanks for the replies, so how do I vector it? What program do I need? Photoshop?

BTW, what's the best format to scan in?

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Dreamer said:
thanks for the replies, so how do I vector it? What program do I need? Photoshop?

BTW, what's the best format to scan in?

Well, to vector it in, you'd actually have to do some work. I use Adobe Illustrator for all my vector needs. Do you have an image of what you want so we have idea of what you're aiming for?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Well, to vector it in, you'd actually have to do some work. I use Adobe Illustrator for all my vector needs. Do you have an image of what you want so we have idea of what you're aiming for?

Yes, it's a samurai spirits illustration...I hope it can be done.