The Mother Fucking Book Thread (No Comics Allowed)

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Kind of like an appreciation thread, but more practical and down to business. APA format please.

So what are yall reading.

Im reading The Call of Cthulu & Other Weird Stories and at work I just started reading an ebook of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (One of the Verne novels I never read for some reason.)

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
HP Lovecraft was always a favorite of mine. I usually read non-fic though...my favorite book is probably Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. I've read it cover to cover many times and never gotten bored with it. It's a big compendium of origins of words, phrases, customs and traditions etc etc.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi.

Started it a few weeks ago... it's defiantly something you don't read from cover to cover.

I'm going to read Harry potter books 6 and 7 starting this weekend.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Reading The Iron Cage: The Story of the Palestinian Struggle for Statehood by Rashid Khalidi.

Will start on Monstering: Inside America's Policy of Secret Interrogations and Torture in the Terror War by Tara McKelvey after this weekend.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
A Practical Guide to Legal Writing & Legal Method by John C. Dernbach, et. al. Third Edition

n00bz0r

Armored Scrum Object
Currently reading Harry Potter 1. havent seen the latest movie but i liked the others and my friend loaned me the book so there we go. after hp i'll probably read 2010 or possibly the prestige, or maybe even the subtle knife, part 2 in the dark materials trilogy. i tend to stick with science fiction.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Couple of King's old greats: The Shining and Dead Zone

Poe's entire collection in pieces.

The Abs Diet (borrowed it from a friend and it's not telling me anything I didn't already know/read elsewhere.)

I may start to read the first Harry Potter book just see what the fuss is about.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
The Borribles.

Why? It is the only book I have ever finished, which is amazing considering I have a four year college degree and a year of work towards a Masters.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
PopeCuervoLime said:
A Practical Guide to Legal Writing & Legal Method by John C. Dernbach, et. al. Third Edition

ahahaha good choice!

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Awesome so far.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
Couple of King's old greats: The Shining and Dead Zone

Poe's entire collection in pieces.

The Abs Diet (borrowed it from a friend and it's not telling me anything I didn't already know/read elsewhere.)

I may start to read the first Harry Potter book just see what the fuss is about.

Is your Poe collection one of those big hard back "Complete Works of" type books they sell?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Is your Poe collection one of those big hard back "Complete Works of" type books they sell?

Yeah, it's the Modern Library version.

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Tales-Poems-Modern-Library/dp/0679600078

They have a small library at my work and I saw this there and nobody had checked it out since it arrived almost three years ago so I just took it (although my copy is bit old and worn.)

One of the few books I just keep in my jeep at all times so I can read it whenever.

A quick read of The Cask of Amontillado is a great way to spend your break time.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm reading a book Average Joe posted last week or so. Something to do with the diets of Okinawa people and how the buggers live longer.

Good so far, I've followed through on some suggestions and they've worked well.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
I'm a big Louis L'Amour fan. He not only writes awesome westerns but detective stories as well. He was an ex-boxer so be prepared for 1-2 pages of fight dialogue in nearly every story. That's my only gripe with his work. Other than that it's great. I'd suggest you start off with "The Mountain Valley War" and move on from there. It's hard to find anything of his that isn't good.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i actually picked up the dragons of eden by carl sagan.
i believe it's about the evolution of human intellegence.
i've only been reading it off and on and I'm not terrible far into it right now.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Steven Erikson's Malazan series... Book 2: Deadhouse Gates. Gruesome fantasy at its finest.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Comics are great.

Seconded. I usually don't read much else.

And I already finished Hurricane Punch by Tim Dorsey. Now I gotta wait for his new one to come out. :(

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Getting to the end of the Necroscope series with Necroscope: Avengers.

Lovecraft, as always, with At the Mountains of Madness (I read Lovecraft weekly, 52 weeks a year, I am obsessed).

Please Kill Me: history of punk rock

Discovery and Conquest of Mexico: Bernal Diaz Del Castillo (contemporary memoir, conquistador's eye-witness account)

The Psalms (yeah- the bible, still an Atheist)

Next up: Original James Bond novels (yet again) by Ian Flemming.

Collapse: Jared Diamond

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I'm reading a book Average Joe posted last week or so. Something to do with the diets of Okinawa people and how the buggers live longer.

Good so far, I've followed through on some suggestions and they've worked well.

I'm glad to hear someone took my suggestion seriously.

I've been following the advice I got from that book (and several others) for about four months now and if the [Elder] Okinawans aren't proof enough that their diet works, than I am as well.

All the other benefits aside, my energy level was the most dramatic increase.

I've got the energy of a ferret and the stamina of an Alaskan sled-dog.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
I'm glad to hear someone took my suggestion seriously.

I've been following the advice I got from that book (and several others) for about four months now and if the [Elder] Okinawans aren't proof enough that their diet works, than I am as well.

All the other benefits aside, my energy level was the most dramatic increase.

I've got the energy of a ferret and the stamina of an Alaskan sled-dog.

This post is very funny to me for some reason.

So what do they eat? Rice and old fish?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Ursula Le Guin - Always Coming Home

^crapper fantasy, I try these "other" authors time and time again only to be disappointed :D

Yann Martel - The Life Of Pi

^Boy stranded on a lifeboat with a bengal tiger, 2nd time reading this for me, good stuff

Viktor Pelevin - Omon Ra

^Russian post Soviet Union satire, the truth about their space program, amongst other revelations, funniest book I've read in ages :D