Strikers 1945 and Metal Slug X ?

Hi all, I'm new to the Neogeo (well MVS anyway, have had a CD console for a while), but not new to electronics or classic gaming (I have a pretty large collection).

So I have seen quite a number of arcade and other system boots, know what EPROMs/mask ROMs are, what an FPGA is, what 100% working means, and who Yaton is. :)

So here without further intro are two carts for inspection by the experts, to make sure I'm on the right track ;)

First is a Strikers 1945 Plus which to me looks quite legit. Came in a smoked grey translucent case, label intact with holo and serials.

Next up is a Metal Slug X. Came in a green translucent case, has holos, serials scratched off on both sides. This looks legit to me based on what I know. The ROMs that aren't Toshiba branded just have 250-V1 and up labeled on them. Though that one SMT chip looks a bit like hack work or a sloppy rework.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
The strikers is definitely legit.

The MSX is likely legit, but its strange that the SMT chip has some flux around it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You need not be this worried about Neo games. If the number on the chips matches the number on the master list, chances are it's a real game. I have never seen a documented case of a bootleg that bothered putting the official number on the chips. It's just not something that bootleggers do.

It's once you start seeing window EPROMs, mask roms, MX chips, or boards colored anything other than green that you need to start worrying.

Actually, it amazes me how quickly people will panic. It doesn't seem like it took me much experience at all to learn to tell a boot from a legit cart, yet over and over again I see people posting in this board as if it were rocket science. Usually it just takes a small amount of experience and a lot of common sense, I think. You seem to know arcade boards; you should trust your instincts more.

Neo Alec said:
You seem to know arcade boards; you should trust your instincts more.
Yeah I figured I'd just do an initial check with the experts, thanks for the replies guys.

Browsing through the pics here I think I'm about 100% so far on determining if something is a boot before I read the replies below. I wasn't expecting to see that Altera when I opened up MSX though. :lolz:

I've checked the other carts I've picked up so far and they all look good. Except for the Neo Bomber Man I have. I expected it to be a boot (fake US label) and sure enough when I opened it up its crazy bootalicous. Cheap and it works though. :)

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
remowilliams said:
Yeah I figured I'd just do an initial check with the experts, thanks for the replies guys.

Browsing through the pics here I think I'm about 100% so far on determining if something is a boot before I read the replies below. I wasn't expecting to see that Altera when I opened up MSX though. :lolz:

I've checked the other carts I've picked up so far and they all look good. Except for the Neo Bomber Man I have. I expected it to be a boot (fake US label) and sure enough when I opened it up its crazy bootalicous. Cheap and it works though. :)

there are alot of games you need to be careful when picking up as some are MASSIVELY booted out there on the market. I have seen many boots of

Bust a Move (almost always a boot)
Neo Bomberman
Metal Slug 3, 4, 5
Super Dodge Ball
Twinkle Star
Nightmare in the Dark
Strikers 1945

those are just the ones that I find alot. If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is.