NG.com board game thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This thread is dedicated to Kernow.

As some of you know, i'm really into boardgames - but more specifically what many call "hobby board games" - meaning stuff you generally can't find at places like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. You'll have to venture to a local game store (comic shops are a good place to start looking) or hit up some online retailers.

Anyway, I just thought i'd show you people what games I have, since well this site is full of collectors and this is what I "collect."

I only have two pics, but for each game i've included a link to its Boardgamegeek (BGG) entry. BGG is sort of a board game wiki/board game bbs. It's often considered to be the #1 boardgame site on the net. It's certainly a useful site to find out about games.

An Image of my Games Published by Fantasy Flight Games (FFG)

Games in the above image:

Descent is a dungeon crawl, Tide of Iron is low complexity squad level tactical WW2 game, and War of the Ring is probably the definitive LotR boardgame (IMO). Descent and Tide of Iron were developed by FFG, while War of the Ring was merely published by them (Originaly an Italian design IIRC)

An Image of the Rest of my Games (most of them)

Games in the above image:
  • Railroad Tycoon - Actually a great game, despite carrying a big name license.
  • Sid Meier's Civilization - Not a very good game (what you'd expect from most licensed products)
  • Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front - A platoon level tactical ww2 combat game
  • Beyond Valor - The first module of the Advanced Squad Leader series. Pretty much the definitive WW2 squad level tactical combat game. Not for the feint of heart.
  • Nexus Ops - A light wargame where human corporations battle each other for control of resources on an alien planet. Really fun.
  • Settlers of Catan - It's on XBL, try it yourself. Essentially a resource gathering/trading/building game. Best with 4 players.
  • Ambush! - An older solitare (1 player) tactical ww2 combat game.
  • Middle Earth CCG - One deck from my favorite CCG.

Games not pictured:

The next three games I want to buy are:

• 1870 - an economics game about railroading, part of the "18xx Series."
  • Hive - an abstract strategy game about bugs.
  • Proteus - a very cool and very cheap chess variant.

Hive can be played for free online at: Hive Mania - You'll have to read the rules first, but it's pretty simple.

Places to buy boardgames online:

These are just some of the game retailers i frequent, check board game prices for many others.

So there you go.

Sorry I don't collect anything cool like transformers, anime, NGH home carts, or other bullshit from japan. My collection is small, there are guys on the BGG with over 1500 games.

I'm going to being playing Descent later today, so i'll get some pics of the game setup later.

-Lagduf0

Last edited:

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
FAGDUUUUF

"Skeeter, i'll give ya this here $4.56 to go ta store and gets me that Dunjiyans & Dragiyans boardey game. If that ain't 'nough, bat the store guy in the face and jus' take the da'mn thang!"

:help:

thundr51

Bead Banger
Only board game I've got is
Samurai Swords

It's a real pain to setup but looks really cool when it is. I keep telling myself one day I'll meet some other guys and finally get a chance to play this game but that has as yet happen.

The ebay prices on that site are unreal considering on the real ebay site none have sold for over 70.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
a new low :oh_no:

I used to play board games, I had a really cool one when I was a kid based on Marvel Comics but it's long gone somewhere.

oh well

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
thundr51 said:
Only board game I've got is
Samurai Swords

It's a real pain to setup but looks really cool when it is. I keep telling myself one day I'll meet some other guys and finally get a chance to play this game but that has as yet happen.

The ebay prices on that site are unreal considering on the real ebay site none have sold for over 70.

I hear good things about Samurai Swords (AKA Shogun). It's part of the Milton Bradley Gamemaster Series (IIRC) and it's often compared to Risk, but is supposedly better.

Invite some friends over (supply some beer) and let the battles in feudal japan begin!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yes folks, i'm 23 years old!

So today will be my gaming groups (myself and a couple close friends) weekly Descent: Journeys in the Dark session.

As I stated above Descent is a dungeon crawl boardgame for 2-5 players. In the game a band of 2-4 heroes must venture into a dungeon to accomplish some task. The heroes are opposed by the "Overlord" who acts as a DM/GM type character. The overlord spawns monsters and plays traps in an attempt to stop the heroes from completing their task. Unlike roleplaying games, the Overlord can win in Descent and actively tries to do so. There is a sort of scoring system called conquest points that determine who is winning. If the heroes ever run out of conquest points they lose the game (usually as a result of being killed).

This week's quest features a rather linear dungeon, in which the heroes have to rescue some dude who is being held prisoner by some monsters:

In this pic you can see the board and some of the components to the game. The heroes start at the bottom of the picture. Immediately blocking their progress is a door and two monsters.

The heroes know how the dungeon is layed out (they always have a map) but they don't know where doors are or what is behind them. (It's kind of hard to tell but the dungeon is composed of multiple puzzle-like piece. This allows for many different set ups, and there are a ton more included dungeon pieces then just what you see in this pic.) As new areas are revealed the Overlord player places monsters, obstacles, treasure, etc according to the quest guide.

This game is mostly about fighting monsters and finding treasure.

More pics:

There are only 4 Heroes in the picture, but between the base game and the 2 expansions I think there are 32 Heroes to choose from.

This is probably the closest thing I have to something like D&D. But there is really no roleplaying per se, it's more so just fighting, exploring, getting treasure, etc. Almost like a board game version of Diablo.

My group plays pretty slow, so we usually take around 4-8 hours to finish one quest in Descent.

I'll take some more pics when we start our game.

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
do you have heroscape?

sure its for little kids and whatever, but its like warhammer on a budget, without rulers, and actually fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
do you have heroscape?

sure its for little kids and whatever, but its like warhammer on a budget, without rulers, and actually fun.

Had it and sold it to a member here on NG.com.

I regret selling it, but at the time (2005) I did it there weren't a lot of expansions out with figures I wanted.

The terrain system is great. It's like Legos, but with rules for combat!

The only thing I don't care for is how thematically bizarre the game is (ie cowboys fighting WW2 soliders, fighting robots, fighting vikings, etc) - just a little too weird for me. But since so many figures are out now I could conceivably build a thematic force I like.

Have you seen the Marvel Heroscape set? It just came out and has some cool figs: Spidey, Cap'n, Hulk, Abomination, Red Skull, Thanos, etc

When I have more disposable income i'll probably pick it up again. A 2nd master set is coming soon also. Have you seen the castle set? Cool stuff.

Heroscape is probably the best thing at major retailers as far as board games are concerned, and I applaud Hasbro for actually making a decent NEW game.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not suprised that you have a bunch of geeky D&D type games...

I'm surprised that anyone can find other people to play them with...

I thought you 40yrold virgins spent all your time painting the pieces, not playing with them...

As geeky as all of this is, it is better than MMORPG's....

If you are going to spend hours a day slaying dragons, you might as well do it with other real, life people.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Descent looks like a fun game. One of my old friends had a similar board game, can't remember the name though.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
looks koll, but i can hardly sit through a game of monopoly nowadays.
back when i worked at a game store we sold the lotr figures for that game.
i would have picked them up, but they never dropped in price.
15 bucks were a little much for me to pay for ugly little troll figures.
:(

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
rarehero said:
looks koll, but i can hardly sit through a game of monopoly nowadays.

:(

I have trouble completing a 350 point game of spades...

Some Mofo always gotta start shit...

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Wish I could post my games collection....

Do you really play ASL?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I'm not suprised that you have a bunch of geeky D&D type games...

I'm surprised that anyone can find other people to play them with...

I thought you 40yrold virgins spent all your time painting the pieces, not playing with them...

As geeky as all of this is, it is better than MMORPG's....

If you are going to spend hours a day slaying dragons, you might as well do it with other real, life people.

One dungeon crawl games, with zero role playing aspect equals "a bunch of geeky D&D type games" - lol Norton, you need to reread my posts and actually check out what titles I own.

Most of the games I own are directly confrontational, with a majority of which whose main theme is violence (be it fantasy, WW2, Sci-Fi, etc.) I enjoy most types of games though.

I tried to get into some of Games Workshop's stuff, but painting miniatures and building terrain is an absolute bitch. Also boardgames are generally considered to be different from Tabletop Miniatures games like Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40K, etc.

Yes Norton, this geek actually plays with his toys. I can't stand the thought of collecting action figures or other items only to have them sit and languish unplayed.

Lashujin said:
Wish I could post my games collection....

Do you really play ASL?

Sadly not as much as I would like too. I'm considering picking up the first ASL Starter Kit so my friends who fear full blown ASL will actually play the game with me. The basics of the infatry aspect of the game are simple enough, it's just all the god damned exceptions. Ordanance and vehicles still frustrate me though.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lochlan said:
Settlers of Catan FTW.

Is it actually any good on XBox Live?

As far as i've been able to tell it's identical to the boardgame. Obviously the boardgame has several expansions (including 5-6 player support) which are not available via XBL.

taitai said:
what, no Heroscape?

See post # 10.

ki_atsushi said:
Descent looks like a fun game. One of my old friends had a similar board game, can't remember the name though.

It might have been Heroquest, or maybe Warhammer Quest. There are couple other Dungeon Crawl games from late '80s to early '90s.

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hahaha, 'duf you are a nerd after my own heart.

Awesome sets.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I once owned a battlemasters set...

I threw it out cuz my friends called it Dungeons and Dragons shit.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
gimme yur opinion of descent...

im kinda interested in it.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
Settlers of Catan FTW! I thought I was the only person in the world that loves/owns/has ever heard of this game. awesome...

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
ulasamosa said:
Settlers of Catan FTW! I thought I was the only person in the world that loves/owns/has ever heard of this game. awesome...

You're dumb.