SNES “box art” project, making box inserts help/info needed. (pics)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hello, as many here have I purchased the sleeved cases found HERE

Some use complete game art to fill the sleeved area but I don’t really need to do this as I have my stuff stacked as follows:

Toy_room_8.jpg

Using the box scans found HERE

After many hours in Photoshop, I came up with this (sample page):
Label-sheet-1.jpg

The “end-cap” insert, this is a sheet that will print on a standard 8”x11” piece of paper. I wanted something that can be printed at home on a home quality printer, not something you have to spend massive bucks on like the Neo Geo MVS Shock Box inserts I have.

I have 25 finished so far. The scans found on The Cover Project although complete are often either damaged, poorly scanned or a European cover. Most require quite a bit of time to resize and to rework. The original scans have off colors, poorly scanned logos or damaged scans, I’ve had to clean many of them up quite a bit. I’ve also taken a few liberties in the name of consistency and quality but the outcome is great. I’d like to start a database of the “end-cap” inserts but I need more game box scans (mostly of the side of the box, not the front. Any help would be great and for a few bucks I’d be glad to send out CD’s with these on them for anyone who has these cases and wants the artwork.) I currently have them saved in high-res Photoshop format so a single sheet is about 6Mb on disk, thus me not wanting to email them.

Finished cases:
Box_finished.jpg

I will also be doing this for other games that fit in these cases after this project is finished. (N64, Genesis, loose CD games, ect).

Let me know what you guys think!

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
thats not bad.

but youve got logo placement all over the place.

the one that really sticks out is dkc is up too high.

but then youve got konami on top for those games, vs the other ones with logos on the bottom. except ocean which is across the top horizontal.

its really only $42 for 100 of these? damn.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
not sonic said:
thats not bad.

but youve got logo placement all over the place.

the one that really sticks out is dkc is up too high.

but then youve got konami on top for those games, vs the other ones with logos on the bottom. except ocean which is across the top horizontal.

its really only $42 for 100 of these? damn.

I didn’t want to change them completely, I just fixed some things. Donkey Kong is an exception, as I can’t change much due to the leaves in the background, although the logo in the “OEM” position is off, moving it would be a serious pain in the ass.

As for the rest, I left many as stock as possible. Some have company logos at the top, others don’t. I did use a good Konami logo and put it on all o the Konami titles to create some consistency. As for the rest, I just want them to be similar but as close to OEM as possible, if that means the title logo is off from others, I’m ok with that.

As for the cases, $.42/case is not too bad, these things are quality sleeved cases, I think they're great.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
that makes sense. i didnt know if you were using the scans or making them from scratch.

i might have to get me some of these boxes, ive got so many bare carts. do nes/snes games fit with the dust sleeve on?

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
I had started to do this a while back but with full cases, not too sure where my photoshop files are though

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Borman said:
I had started to do this a while back but with full cases, not too sure where my photoshop files are though

Well, I still need quite a few that are missing from the cover web site. I still need the following:

Q*Bert 3
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Pocky & Rocky
EVO
Rival Turf
NBA Jam
Actraiser 2
Super Turrican
Super Bowling

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Looks nice. Much better than when rental stores butchered the boxes to label cases. Think I remember Hollywood Video doing it up to around 2000, last place I saw have SNES cart rentals.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
smokehouse said:

Dont Mencia my photo. :lolz:

868167564_a45af84fab.jpg

Sweet job dude, seriously fucking sweet. You know theres gonna be one for super fami as well.

Codeman1

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nice work!
Have you though about starting a serious cover project for the SNES?

The Snes has no default cover layout,specialy on the spine which are completly random and you already made some very nice work on that!

"Consistency is key in anything like this" said dub and I couldnt agree more ^^

Anyone feel like making a SNES cover template? :make_fac:

EDIT: I think Ill start working on a PAL layout :multi_co:

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
badass! Seriously

Makes me want to do something with my SNES carts....almost

//lazy back on