15khz non-interlaced game list

cody

n00b
Man, I thought people were exaggerating about the graphical issues in Ibara ps2 . . . but looking at ibara vs espgaluda on a tate rgb monitor is ridiculous.

with that in mind, which console shmups display at 15khz non-interlaced (aka 240p or "true lo-res")? From what I've got:

Dodonpachi DOJ
Espgaluda
Gradius III ( although IV on the same disc doesnt seem to )
Gunstar Heroes treasure box (borderliner, blah blah)

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Pretty much anything that isn't 3D. I don't know about those 3D Psyko shmups.

cody

n00b
Cant be that simple, as mushihimesama and ibara aren't what people would normally call '3D', and they're interlaced . . .

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
are you talking about the graphics shimmering?

thats because the ps2 has shitty video out, but above all that, its because the ps2 is displaying the game at 480i rather than the native resolution which is 320x240 interlaced.

you should notice the same problems with modded xboxes on sdtvs, and a lot of other 2d games on newer consoles.

theyre just not outputting the low resolution these games are made at.

cody

n00b
The ps2's video output capabilities are better (more versatile) than anything other than a dreamcast or (eventually, maybe) a ps3.

The games on the list list above are not 240 interlaced, or 480 interlaced, they're 240 non-interlaced. I.E. instead of doing 2 passes where the second field is offset slightly, resulting in flicker, the monitor is doing 2 passes one right on top of the other, with big ol scanlines in between the (stable) 240 lines. Gunstar treasure box allows you to switch between 480i and "240p"; its a really noticeable difference.