Games that dont work without -5v

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some boards require 5.5v like moonwalker

You are gonna fry chips past 5.25v, I think it's you rig that's not pushing out 5v properly. You should never go passed 5.1v. Make sure you check it at the board not the PSU.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You are gonna fry chips past 5.25v, I think it's you rig that's not pushing out 5v properly. You should never go passed 5.1v. Make sure you check it at the board not the PSU.

Here in a service bulletin I've come across it states that the 5v should be raised to 5.2v

GAME:
STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE
SYMPTOMS:
EXTRA OR NO CREDITS.
LINES ON THE SCREEN.
GAMES RESET DURING PLAY
SOLUTION:
STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE IS A NON CAPCOM ‘CPS’ SYSTEM. THIS SYSTEM REQUIRES A HIGHER VOLTAGE TO OPERATE AT ITS MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

VCC SHOULD BE SET AT 5.20 +/- .05VDC . THIS CAN BE CHECKED BY PLACING ONE LEAD OF YOUR METER AT THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF C106, AND THE OTHER LEAD ON F1.

On my board I have raised it to 5.2v at the PSU and this has stopped the game from resetting continuously. Any ideas what the C106 and F1 it mentions is referring to?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, so dont go past 5.25v like I said.

C106 is either cap #106 or a part number of something on the board.

I can confirm that NBA Maximum Hangtime loses sound when missing -5, I had a Neo-Geo candy cab for years and it was the only PCB that didn't play properly in it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some boards I sold recently needed -5v and I didn't even know until people tried to play them without -5v on their SG or cabs.

Cadash - No Sound
China Gate - No Sound, Weird Picture

If you have an arcade PSU you have -5v most likely but it may not be hooked up. Also anyone with an SC200 or SC300 PSU doesn't have -5v as well.

MadTitan

n00b
Does anyone know if Thunder Dragon is one of the PCBs that needs the -5v line? It has no volume on my Egret II and i'm not sure if it's a PCB issue or the jamma harness isn't wired for the voltage.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why don't you check your cab if it's wired for -5v anyway?

Neogeofan12

Banned
ThunderFox requires -5v for sound. It looks like the -5v wasn't hooked up in my Egret II at all so by hooking it up the game worked perfectly.

B

biotech

Question regarding power adapter for Super Convertor

I have a modded AES console with an adapter that says it is 10v output. In reading about the Super Convertor II that is used for MVS to AES conversion it states this:

SNK's NEO•GEO AES System's uses two type of AC Adapters,one uses 5V DC , the other uses 12V DC. The label on the AC Adapter indicates which voltage the system uses.
IF the output indicates "12V DC" ,then they can use the super AC adapter;
IF the output indicates "5V DC" , then there is NO need for the super AC adapter.

With my power saying 10v I am not sure if I need the extra power adapter to play all games.....can anyone help with this....Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a modded AES console with an adapter that says it is 10v output. In reading about the Super Convertor II that is used for MVS to AES conversion it states this:

SNK's NEO•GEO AES System's uses two type of AC Adapters,one uses 5V DC , the other uses 12V DC. The label on the AC Adapter indicates which voltage the system uses.
IF the output indicates "12V DC" ,then they can use the super AC adapter;
IF the output indicates "5V DC" , then there is NO need for the super AC adapter.

With my power saying 10v I am not sure if I need the extra power adapter to play all games.....can anyone help with this....Thanks

Wrong place to post this but to answer your question, yes you do need the additional PSU. Your 10v PSU doesn't supply enough juice to power the AES and converter properly. You can however use a +9v supply with at least 1.6A, I prefer 2 amps. Negative tip polarity as well.

Neogeofan12

Banned
A good number of Taito stuff made in the 80s-early 90s will require -5v for sound. Cabal and Blood Bros use -5v for samples.

fighting mania

Zero's Tailor
add battletoads to that list ,no sound without the -5v

splatterhouse will keep resetting under 5.25 v and so will bloodstorm

i own a blast city cab and i have on 5.5v all the time and i havent fried any pcbs

partial pcb list :

age of heroes
bloodstorm
daraku tenshi
dungeon magic
hyper thlete
last apostle puppet show(yes it does exist)
pwer instinct
splatterhouse

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member
Yeah Id like to be able to update this thread so I can make a list on the first post, then we can verify. If a mod sees this before I ask please make it so.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You might as well use the wiki so you can keep updating it. That's exactly why I did it for the High score list.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
If you use a JAMMA adapter to an older board such as a Williams Defender or Joust/Robotron, you MUST use -5 volts or you fry all the RAM chips. Neoi Geo cabinets do not have the -5 volts wired in so you would need to add those in yourself.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but it's a sticky, so....

I have one cabinet that began life as JAMMA, and was half-assedly converted to Neo at some point. The wiring is missing the -5volt, but it is wired for mono sound. Case in point: With my Hyper 64 Rev 2 board, I set the power to Neo, but the sound to JAMMA.

Does this mean I can play some if not all JAMMA boards in this cabinet without an adaptor or any modification?

Also, does Blitz '99 require the -5v?

Forgive this question in this sticky, but maybe it will help others such as myself with the same problem. When using an adapter board to play jamma games in a 4 slot MVS, there is a hole in the adapter board labeled "-5v connect". Would I be correct in assuming I need to add a drop of solder in that hole to complete the -5v connection in the adapter board? Or is there a solder-free way (I doubt it) to compete said connection if that is what, in fact, needs to be done?

By the way, add Final Blow to the list. That board is one of the reasons I am here.

Thanks.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Most KONAMI boards use the -5v. Fuck, even the Bubble System uses the -5v (which the wiring is based off the SCRAMBLE wiring)

MVS doesn't use -5v.

I know; I wasn't very clear where I was going with that. Sorry.

I meant in order to get -5v to a jamma board placed in an MVS 4-slot, I know I would have to wire a -5v line from the power supply to the MVS harness. However, there's a hole in the jamma to MVS adapter board on the -5v trace part of the board. I was just wondering if said hole had to be soldered in order to complete the -5v current from the MVS harness to the -5v on the jamma board. The pictures below are of the hole I'm talking about. Thanks.

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg