Games that dont work without -5v

Monstermug

n00b
Just got hold of Double dragon pcb board and i am a total noob. I have a egret II candy cab running a neo geo mvs 1 slot board. I wanted to plug in my double dragon pcb board and a bit confused as the harness that was connected to the MVS 1 board has a white bracket which does not allow me to fit it into the double dragon pcb board.

I have three other harnesses but I have no idea which one is the right one and which way it should plug in. Can anybody help me please?

photo of the spare harness

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/Dreamcastgamer_2010/?action=view&current=006-45.jpg

Monstermug

n00b
As i was waiting for a moderator to moderate my post........ over an hour now... I figured out which harness to use and adapter.

Now i cant figure out why there is no sound. I used the harness with the -5 wires connected. It was the only one. The other two had no wires connected to the -5 pin on the harness.

Monstermug

n00b
Double dragon

I checked my egret II and it seems there is a brown wire comming out from the -5v on the psu. The jamma harness does have a wire connected to the -5 pin. I used one of those spare harnesses in the picture that has a wire connected to the -5 pin and the game works but no power.

Been googling for last 30 mins and cant seem to work it out..

Monstermug

n00b
http://img585.imageshack.us/g/img1536.jpg/

Pictures in order:

1. Adapter that goes into the Double dragon PCB. (note the green wire connected to -5)

2. Whole shot of the harness adapter (multi coloured wires) that fits into the jamma harness inside the marchine (all pure white)

3. Close pic of the adapter which goes on the jamma harness. (note the -5 wires connected on the jamma harness)

4. The other side of the adapter (note the green wire connected to -5 on the jamma harness. from picture 1)

5. Close up of psu with -5 going out

6. Control panel (does the switch need to be on mono or stereo for double dragon?)

Monstermug

n00b
Just got out my voltimeter and tested the -5 comming out from the psu is reaching the -5 pin on the double dragon pcb board. Tried adjusting the vr knob and switching the stereo sound from mono to stereo.

No luck.

Anybody have any suggestions? Im feeding it -5 and there is still no sound. Really boggling my mind .

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can you test the board in another cab? Sound is the first thing to go on a lot of jamma boards.

Monstermug

n00b
I dont have another machine i am afraid.

I am pretty sure the sound is not faulty on this board so I think I will have to return it.

Anyway I can test the sound on the board using a voltimeter?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Is your cab wired for mono or stereo sound? If you touch the pins of the power amp, does it make a sound?

Oh and its called a voltmeter :)

Monstermug

n00b
I am not sure which part of the pcb is the sound amp....

haha me bad about typo. Just to show you guys how bad I am at electronics lol

Monstermug

n00b
Oh its a egret II cab. It plays my neo geo games in Mono. There is a switch on the cab to turn it into stereo.

I am pretty sure double dragon plays in mono sound though.

purpled

n00b
my stern amidar pcb has now sound with -5v disconnected, thought it was a faulty board until I checked this.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Do all Power Supplies have -5 volt line?

Recently picked up a Rastan Saga and it won't boot in my Astro, or my Neo Candy with the Jamma converter board.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do all Power Supplies have -5 volt line?

Recently picked up a Rastan Saga and it won't boot in my Astro, or my Neo Candy with the Jamma converter board.

No, most candy cabs made after 1988 took the -5v off the line. You'll need a Negatron power inverter to get your -5.
Most if not all American cabs had -5 on the switching power supplies.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Thanks for the info Kid!
Too bad my American uprights are both Neo machines. I'll give the Negatron a shot. I was excited for Rastan going to have to wait a little longer now.

I played fighting hawk in my naomi cab. No sound. i plugged the negatron adapter and then there was music.
So the Taito Fighting Hawk PCB also need -5v

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I bought a atlas board from jnx and put a negatron on that to get smash tv to work. I believe he sells them put together too with it already.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
splatterhouse will keep resetting under 5.25 v and so will bloodstorm
Your board should have a problem. I've managed to get it run with voltage as low as 4.55V

To feed that thread:
- Karate Champ (Data East - 1984 - original version): no sound

[EDIT]
I was wrong for Rush & Crash, it was just a coincidence sound started to work after I plugged the -5V.
[/EDIT]

Last edited: