Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
I've heard nothing but praise from people at other forums as well.

Apparently the story and dialogue is the exact same (although there are new parts that delve into Rosa, Cecil and Kain's childhood), so if you know the original by memory or have a script handy, it's all good.

Willing to bet this gets a Spring 08 release in the States.

edit: oh man Edward the spoony bard looks so cute in his tiny hat

which also raises the question, when this gets localized, will he still be Edward, or now Gilbart (Gilbart, what the hell)

He's always been Gilbert in the JPN version dating back to the SNES. I don't see why they would change it from Edward... not sure, honestly.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
If I see this @ Pink Godzilla in Seattle I'ma buy this shit.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Just beat Octomammon.

Some differences I've noticed when compared to the original :

You have to actually fight when the monsters attack the airships (you only fight the group of Floateyes, the Zuu doesn't appear). You can't use the lightning/fire bombs either.

You can't fight Rydia during the Mist Village scene.

Rydia can't equip a bow.

You can't target multiple enemies/allies when using the magical abilities of your left & right hand equipment.

There seems to be less enemy variety. Certain monsters and groups show up more often than others, and some have yet to show up at all. I haven't encountered any Sand Moths, Sand Worms, or Creams yet. Groups like 4 Sandmen in a row or 3 Water Bugs haven't shown up yet either.

You automatically gain items for fully exploring an area in the dungeons (fully uncovering the area on the map). The items and amounts you get seem to be random (5 potions, or 2 ethers, or 1 maiden's kiss, or 3 phoenix downs, etc). The more potent items are given less frequently and in fewer amounts.

Monsters are definitely stronger and have more HP (and I'm guessing MP as well). It's noticeable but not too much of a problem for the most part (though Minimages are much more annoying than before and you do encounter them more often. I also had a close call near the end of the fight with Octomammon).

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hentai Sama said:
Monsters are definitely stronger and have more HP (and I'm guessing MP as well). It's noticeable but not too much of a problem for the most part.
Hmm, I was hoping this one would be really challenging. Well, I guess it all remains to be seen. Of course, I'm glad that's it's not frustratingly hard.

On the bright side, if I have to import it, at least I know the script follows the original pretty closely. I think between my knowledge of the game and limited reading abilities, I could probably get through it. :) Thanks for all the info so far, everyone.

I'm not really sure whether I should get this game or not, because I already have the original, unless there is slight differences from them both apart from the graphics, then I may consider buying the game for the ds.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Now I'm at the Mother Bomb boss fight on Mt. Hobbs (wiped out my entire party when it suicided). Definitely much stronger than the original...

Some more differences :

You only need one arrow equipped now, instead of constantly buying/finding lots of them like before.

Gilbart can't use bows either (pretty sure he could before). He also starts off with 3 songs, which I think was more than what he started off with originally.

The enemy variety was still an issue in the Antlion's nest, but seems much better on Mt. Hobbs (Sand Worms finally showed up outside of Damcyan).

I don't remember if there was a Hades Shield for Cecil in the original or not, but there isn't one now. There are 2 Shadow Blades for him however, and I'm very certain there used to be only one.

The battle system is set to "wait" by default, with the battle speed set to 4 (out of 6). Setting it to "active" will make the battles harder, and setting the speed to 1 will make the battles faster. The default character formation in this version is 2 in the front and 3 in the back, but I reversed it to be like it was in the original.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
i'm halfway thru my 3rd and final playthru, things are a LOT easier when you have certain decant ablities, and Level Hunt, not to mention the boss strats down. I'm just flying thru the game now, and I'm planning on taking down the 2 bonus bosses.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Sqeenix said:
Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support,

Nothing has been announced about a North American release date for that
title. This is not to say it will never happen in the future, just
currently SQUARE ENIX is focusing on other projects. I hope this answers
your question and thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX.

Thanks,
Neil- SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
www.square-enix.com
Lame.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Looks like I'll be buying a DS sometime in the near future. I wanted to play Phantom Hourglass anyway.

Marek

Banned
LoneSage said:
I think it's stupid to try and make such a serious game look cute.

motivator3110733.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
'Bout freaking time. Gonna put a preorder down for it on Monday, if they're accepting them.

Hell, I've been playing this since the Jap version came out. Thank goodness for friends in Japan~! Not the best graphics, but nonetheless an entertaining game. Now...only another three months to get our localization:crying:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
You know, I wasn't too excited about this... The 3D kinda put me off some, and I already have it in two other forms.

But after watching that promo video someone linked last year, I think I'm gonna pick it up on day one.

Just when I thought the PSP was pulling ahead, here comes the DS with a potentially quality remake. Nice.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
johnnya said:
FFIII DS was pretty good actually, so I might be picking this up.

It's garbage compared to this. I didn't like 3 on the DS at all, but 4 is amazing on it.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
English Trailer: "Cecil's Journey"

Game Trailers also has a few English language cutscenes and trailers on display.

I finally got to play the Japanese version! As has been previously mentioned, if you've played the game before and know basic Japanese, it's pretty simple to get through. I note that the Elemental Lords gave me a much harder time in this version. I'm really impressed with the style and graphics.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I've only been playing it off & on, so I haven't gotten very far (fighting Golbez in the dwarf castle).

I note that the Elemental Lords gave me a much harder time in this version.

It seems pretty random to me. Sometimes they wipe you out real quick, and other times they just do stupid things and are easily defeated.