Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can't believe there's going to be voice acting in this. WTF. I'm still excited a whole day later after seeing this post.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Don't get your hopes over voices too much Spike -- I just heard voices will only be during the major sequences, whatever that means.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Don't get your hopes over voices too much Spike -- I just heard voices will only be during the major sequences, whatever that means.

No biggie... I expected as much. Hell, I didn't expect voices at all, so I'll take what I can get. lol

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I have the import preordered already. Hope there's no major shipping delay due to the holidays...

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Spike Spiegel said:
I just shit my pants. Mother fucker does this look awesome. My favorite RPG of all time given so much love and attention. Anyone notice the cool flashback scene between Rosa, Cecil and Kain as children? Wow. Just wow.
I know! They also showed KluYa with (I presume) Cecil as a baby and his mother. I'm glad they're fleshing out the story more. God, I'm completely sold on this game. It needs to come out in the US soon...

Oh, but I'm here to give a few new screens:

ScreenShot1.jpg

ScreenShot2.jpg

ScreenShot3.jpg

ScreenShot4.jpg

ScreenShot5.jpg

I also have two more scans if you guys want to see them. :D

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
this game is good, dq4 remake was also good

if you plan on getting the internet version, downgrade your r4 to verion 1.08 or 1.09, peace

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Excellent news actually. DS is the best system out there right now, and I'll eat up RPG's of any kind, remake or otherwise.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
That second pic looks like a cutscene replay feature will be available. Badass; there's nothing more troublesome than replaying (if enough save files aren't available) just to watch a certain cutscene again. I was happy just knowing that SquareEnix had plans to re-insert up to a third more story arc that was chopped from the console version. But to see my all-time favorite rpg get so much love from the devs (facial expression, new cutscenes, voice acting, etc) makes me as happy as a pre-teen reading a playboy for the first time. Considering the severe lack of single player titles I like for the DS, once this is released it may not leave my DS system...ever. :drool:

It has already been posted, but it's my favorite of the three trailers out there.

Trailer

Considering the number of trailers, it seems that SquareEnix is gonna give this a very strong commercial promotion, in all markets.

Ami Tajiri said:

The Golbez wallpaper in the download section is killer, and is my new background.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
A 3D remake of a 2D 16-Bit RPG on a portable system Game of the Year?

If you ask me it's looking that way.

For the love of all that is great in gaming SE, why can't you give Chrono Trigger this same treatment?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
the best thing about this port is the considerable increase in the difficulty, even with a moderate ammount of grinding you aren't going to be killing bosses in 2-3 spells early in the game. Expect to get almost you're whole party wiped out in many boss fights.

Autobattle is a great feature, i'm glad they added it. Basicly what it does is if you press 1 button, your characters default to an action that you chose outside of battle, like attack, use an item, use an ability, etc. You can turn it on or off any time during a battle.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
It should be out today here in Japan... I'm going to go hunt for it. I'm a little skeptical because I hated Final Fantasy III for DS (didn't like the restricted angle, linear gameplay and boring story). However, Loopz has convinced me to give this game a chance, mainly becauset FFIV's storyline is probably one of the most beloved to FF fans.

My Japanese definitely needs brushing up, so I guess this will be good practice. So yeah, I'll take the plunge. I'm also tempted to get DQIV in one fell swoop.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Mine shipped out today. Hopefully, this one will make up for the insult that was the PS1 port.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Kunai said:
It should be out today here in Japan... I'm going to go hunt for it. I'm a little skeptical because I hated Final Fantasy III for DS (didn't like the restricted angle, linear gameplay and boring story). However, Loopz has convinced me to give this game a chance, mainly becauset FFIV's storyline is probably one of the most beloved to FF fans.

My Japanese definitely needs brushing up, so I guess this will be good practice. So yeah, I'll take the plunge. I'm also tempted to get DQIV in one fell swoop.

:drool:

Unless you're eating Christmas cake out of some schoolgirl's crotch, you best get up on that son. Hells yeah! I got FFIV wallpaper right now, and just seeing that awesome cast of characters redrawn in such splendor makes me as happy as a lil girl.

:mr_t:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Here are the scans... Yeah, I'm totally excited about this. I wish my Japanese was good enough to play through an import version, but I'm unfortunately not that great with kanji yet. I envy all you bastards getting your copies before me. :D

NewScan1.jpg

NewScan2.jpg

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
They've made this game so hardcore now, it's rediculous. It's not even grinding a little bit will save you, you need good boss strats. Don't be suprised having to attempt a boss several times before you can beat it.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I have the game... but could only play it for 20 min. before I got frustrated with my lack of reading ability. The kanji in DS games are so tiny, so it's hard to look up words in my electronic dictionary.

From what I have seen, there is voice-overs... but so far it was only for the very beginning, when Cecil's ship is attacked by they flying eye monsters.

Good production values compared to FFIII. Hopefully, it'll keep getting better. And hopefully I can have a semi-decent ability to read what's going on 1/2 a year from now.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Wow, I'm glad they upped the difficulty (provided it's not too frustrating). This is practically gonna be a whole new game to me, at least that's how it looks. Sorry to hear that the kanji are hard to read... I hope the American release is soon. >_<

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
it hasn't even been announced
I know. It kind of pisses me off too. I'd like to think they'd get enough sales out of it to make it more than worth their while.

I almost emailed them the other day to ask if they had any info, and decided it would probably be an exercise in futility.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
where's the love for this game, i'm 10 hours into my second play thru

you can keep the extra abilities (decant ablilties) that you have gained, even if you haven't applied them to your characters. Also, maps are all saved. I stole dark matter from zeromus but I have yet to figure out what it does, it carried over to my new game.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Goddamn. I told myself I was going to buy less games in 2008, especially remakes.

This just looks too good. The increased difficulty will be the thing that pushes me over the edge. Square Enix's portable stuff has just been excellent lately.

Thank you for posting so much stuff about this game. Once I'm done with Dragon Quest IV I'll be picking this game up for sure.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm about 3 hours in, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. It's fairly faithful to the original while adding nicer graphics to it. Got mine from NCSX next day (because I couldn't wait).

If you loved the original, get this one for sure.... it does require some good JPN reading skills, so let's hope the US version comes out at all (at this moment, it's not scheduled to).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've heard nothing but praise from people at other forums as well.

Apparently the story and dialogue is the exact same (although there are new parts that delve into Rosa, Cecil and Kain's childhood), so if you know the original by memory or have a script handy, it's all good.

Willing to bet this gets a Spring 08 release in the States.

edit: oh man Edward the spoony bard looks so cute in his tiny hat

which also raises the question, when this gets localized, will he still be Edward, or now Gilbart (Gilbart, what the hell)

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
If you loved the original, get this one for sure....

101% agreed.

LoneSage said:
Apparently the story and dialogue is the exact same (although there are new parts that delve into Rosa, Cecil and Kain's childhood), so if you know the original by memory or have a script handy, it's all good.

That's exactly how it is so far.

It feels like winter of '91 all over again.