Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
subbie said:
fan made remake in 3d (actualy done by my ex roommate).

Is that the one that was actually getting quite far along then was axed by SE?

I remember seeing that on the web a while back and it was looking really good.

(It's also kind of sad how many times I've played through CT and just how imprinted that image is in my being as it's still so hauntingly familiar even in the 3D.)

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Average Joe said:
Is that the one that was actually getting quite far along then was axed by SE?

I remember seeing that on the web a while back and it was looking really good.

(It's also kind of sad how many times I've played through CT and just how imprinted that image is in my being as it's still so hauntingly familiar even in the 3D.)

Yes it is.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
LoneSage said:
The SD look is stupid for a game like IV, but whatever.

Its actually not far off from the original chibi style artwork in FF games up till 7 really. I think it looks kinda stupid, but at the same time it is kinda accurate.

This is annoying though, especially since I bought the FFIV, "remake" for the GBA, ah well.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
GeoStigma said:
Its actually not far off from the original chibi style artwork in FF games up till 7 really. I think it looks kinda stupid, but at the same time it is kinda accurate.

*stock LoneSage reply copied from other forum*

Cecil does look dumb now; due to technological limitations and given the standard look set by the previous Final Fantasies, yeah they weren't exactly the most realistic looking sprites.

But if we have the technology now to give this dark and melodramatic story a look that fits, then why the fuck are we trying to make the characters look cute? Let's try and give it some justice instead of making a buggy eyed, bobble headed dark knight.

It's times like these I hate the kawaii phenomenon.

:tickled:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:

kawaii_blue.png

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
SnairDogg said:
Dragon Quest IX?

Yeah, there is that, although I have never played a DQ game in my life, so it isn't a series I follow.

Also, there is a very real chance this title is going to get dumbed down so that the game will appeal to the 'new markets' that the DS has broken into.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, there is that, although I have never played a DQ game in my life, so it isn't a series I follow.

Also, there is a very real chance this title is going to get dumbed down so that the game will appeal to the 'new markets' that the DS has broken into.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. And you seem to like Final Fantasy, so why not give the other powerhouse rpg franchise a try? Let's not forget Dragon Quest games aren't even allowed to be released on weekdays in Japan anymore, it's a "cultural phenomenon" ya know. With the exception of you, I'm sure plenty of the new market you speak of will buy it in Japan. But maybe you were talking about new markets in the US, but I don't know. I still think lots of people are going to buy it, so we'll see.

P.S. You should buy it too, dragon quest is cool.

H

hermegildo

LoneSage said:
*stock LoneSage reply copied from other forum*

Cecil does look dumb now; due to technological limitations and given the standard look set by the previous Final Fantasies, yeah they weren't exactly the most realistic looking sprites.

But if we have the technology now to give this dark and melodramatic story a look that fits, then why the fuck are we trying to make the characters look cute? Let's try and give it some justice instead of making a buggy eyed, bobble headed dark knight.

It's times like these I hate the kawaii phenomenon.

:tickled:
What the fuck are you talking about?

Do you even remember what FFIV looked like on the SNES?

Did that look hurt the game at all?

I wouldn't even touch this game if they went with the tired and generic JPRG look.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It didn't hurt it but it could be improved.

The SNES look is nowhere near as cute looking as this DS remake.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:

Oh well, maybe it'll happen the 3rd time Square Enix decides to remake every FF game.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty eager to see the DS renditions of young Rydia and Porom. :drool:

H

hermegildo

LoneSage said:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

ffiv3vm9.png

The SNES sprite's head is bigger than the entire body.

The DS character is much closer to what a normal human would look like compared to the SNES one.

I mean, are you blind or am I missing something here?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
if you don't get me then you never will.
let's leave like gentlemen and agree that SE sucks.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Average Joe said:

I bet I've played CT at least 50 times.

In all of those runs, I never once killed Magus. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wake the fuck up genji

frog > magus

killed him my first time. the one on one with frog.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
SnairDogg said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. And you seem to like Final Fantasy, so why not give the other powerhouse rpg franchise a try? Let's not forget Dragon Quest games aren't even allowed to be released on weekdays in Japan anymore, it's a "cultural phenomenon" ya know. With the exception of you, I'm sure plenty of the new market you speak of will buy it in Japan. But maybe you were talking about new markets in the US, but I don't know. I still think lots of people are going to buy it, so we'll see.

P.S. You should buy it too, dragon quest is cool.

Yeah, you are right, I should get into DQ some time. I'm just not sure that is the title to start with. Maybe DQ8?

Also, I'm sure that the DQ9 will sell by the bucket load, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, you are right, I should get into DQ some time. I'm just not sure that is the title to start with. Maybe DQ8?

Also, I'm sure that the DQ9 will sell by the bucket load, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

DQVIII rocked my goddamn world. My first foray into the DQniverse.
Now I want to get DQI&II, along with V and VI for the Super Fami.
Really good character design, story, ambience...it's like what FF used to possess before it got all fucking metro.
DQVIII is an awesome place to start.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump

Here's the teaser from this year's E3, in case anyone missed it. I know I've played through this game a half dozen times already, but it still reigns as my all time favorite RPG and will be a must-buy once it hits these shores.

Edit: Also, word round the campfire is that anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the original script was left out of the original and will be added with this remake. This game, for me, was 25hrs originally. Can you imagine doubling that playtime?

+Edit: Mmmm, stand up, and show your love for this shit right here!

Bonus!

Last edited:

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Holy shit, this is going to be awesome. FF IV is my favorite Final Fantasy, and to be able to experience it in 3D...:buttrock:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
BIG said:
Damn.

Is that Cecil I see sampling teh goods in the painting?

lmfa0

I believe so. Good eye, homie. ;)

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Bit of a bump, but I wanted to show you guys the newer scans. Here's one:
KainwithScreenShots.jpg

I'm so psyched for this game!

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
LoneSage said:
why does KAIN (not cain) have hair like a woman now
Actually, he did in the original as well. If you watch the ending, he has his helmet off with his blond tresses flowing in the breeze. (God, why do I remember these things?)
CecilandRosaProfiles.jpg