Why do most people think ss4 isn't better then part 2 ?

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Hi all, the longer I play SS4, the more I wonder about this.

I have been playing SS2 for a long time now and until a couple of days ago I thought of it as the best game on the neo. Simply because it's the game I play most out of my whole collection. Then suddenly there was a moment where I felt that I kind of mastered a part of the game. So I looked up some faqs and indeed, there were no more moves or combo's for my favourite characters. Off course there's plenty of great gameplay and I'll never grow tired of that game, but I started thinking.

Then suddenly SS4 came into my mind. I own it for quite some time now, but I never really got into it. I popped it in, gave it some time and tried some moves from SS2 and it finally happened: the game started growing on me :) I played all night long and I found out soooooo many things to do, it's almost insane. So now I kind of feel like part 4 is just the successor of part two, but for some reason part 2 is the big test which you have to successfully pass before you play part 4.

In my opinion it's quite a lot better, but you have to know what you do before you can fully enjoy it. So I just love part 4.

Anyone sharing this feeling or disagreeing completely ? why ?

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I agree I have been playing SSII since it came out and feel I have seen all it has to offer, I have only playing IV for a year and see new stuff all the time. I have just started III this is great more like SFII than Samurai but so hard , relax for a moment and it is gameover. I think it is hard to go back to II when you have played III or IV. III is where it is at for me at the moment but I am sure that will change...

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I really like Samurai Shodown IV, i think the fight system is much better than II and a lot more dynamic. However be careful because some people on this bored don't like you to have your own opinions and think if you prefer SamShoIV you must have just come out of brain surgery.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
LOL watch the fuck out when making posts like this on the board. That's all I'm gonna say.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone but II is the one I play the least. *turns around really fast to make sure no one is behind him* keep that quite eh

Evil Mike plays SSIII most. And is still trying to learn how to play as someone other than Gen-An in SS1.

<small>[ February 28, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: EvilWasabi ]</small>

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
SonGohan:
LOL watch the fuck out when making posts like this on the board. That's all I'm gonna say.
Well, like I said before, it's just my opinion and I'm really curious about the true reason behind the love for part 2 and esp the lack of props given to the 4th part.

I think this is nothing more then an interesting discussion about these 2 great games. Or should I say I hope it doesn't become anything more then that :)

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Yeah, SSIV is fun, until you play against someone and have to counter out of a block. Sorry, not happening.

It's also beautiful, if you're not demanding on color depth.

It sounds great, if you've never heard the music from SSII or III.

Why is Jubei fat in SSIV?

S T R E T C H E D sprites. "They're big! How cool!" Too bad they're stretched versions of the SSIII sprites, and combined with the fact they don't display a lot of color depth, they look even worse.

The good thing about IV is that Amakusa is more playable, but he's been so dumded down that there's no real feeling of accomplishment in a victory.

The game is severely unbalanced. Back in SSII, Nakoruru sucked, but she could still give Ukyo a fight. In SSIV, Gaira sucks, and he has no chance against Sogetsu. No chance at all.

How about that combo system? Since when do 2 Sasame Yuki attackes link in a combo? Okay, when you see it, you know it's not a combo, but why isn't the combo meter resetting?

The Killer Instinct CD combo sceme? Why?

The dumbed down desperation move commands? Why?

Ukyo's musouzankouka, turned to shit. Completely raped of his goodness from III, after being screwed from SSII - it's incredible that they even let him in this game, considering how badly the treated him.

Tam Tam was never this gay.

This game, SSIV, smells of evil, AND GYM SOCKS!

It's fun, but man, they really killed it trying to make it everything that people loved from SSI~III. If you like it more than SSII, I guess that's fine, but I'll always see SSIV as a huge letdown, and no where near as fun as SSIII in terms of versus play.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
Yeah, SSIV is fun, until you play against someone and have to counter out of a block. Sorry, not happening.

S T R E T C H E D sprites. "They're big! How cool!" Too bad they're stretched versions of the SSIII sprites, and combined with the fact they don't display a lot of color depth, they look even worse.

The good thing about IV is that Amakusa is more playable, but he's been so dumded down that there's no real feeling of accomplishment in a victory.

The game is severely unbalanced. Back in SSII, Nakoruru sucked, but she could still give Ukyo a fight. In SSIV, Gaira sucks, and he has no chance against Sogetsu. No chance at all.

How about that combo system? Since when do 2 Sasame Yuki attackes link in a combo? Okay, when you see it, you know it's not a combo, but why isn't the combo meter resetting?

Ukyo's musouzankouka, turned to shit. Completely raped of his goodness from III, after being screwed from SSII - it's incredible that they even let him in this game, considering how badly the treated him.

It's fun, but man, they really killed it trying to make it everything that people loved from SSI~III. If you like it more than SSII, I guess that's fine, but I'll always see SSIV as a huge letdown, and no where near as fun as SSIII in terms of versus play.
I still think that you're a little overboard in the hatred of SS4, but there's one thing I gotta say to you, personally.

I used to think SS4 was the shiznit as far as SS was concerned. Then I heard you rant and rave about SS3, and I tried it on MAME, I now have the cart. It fucking rocks a lot harder than I ever gave it credit for. I still don't know what SS is my favorite, but honestly thanks for the heads up on SS3. Same thing goes for TSS. wink

Peace

JHendrix

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
When it comes to NEO games, SS4 is mediocre, but really fun. Yeah, the colour depth is really bad in that game. I don't like how they fucked with that at all. Grainy.

Gameplay wise, it feels off too. The jumping, for instance with Ukyo, feels totally off as compared to SS3.

It just feels hollow to me.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
JHendrix:
EvilWasabi:

I still think that you're a little overboard in the hatred of SS4, but there's one thing I gotta say to you, personally.

I used to think SS4 was the shiznit as far as SS was concerned. Then I heard you rant and rave about SS3, and I tried it on MAME, I now have the cart. It fucking rocks a lot harder than I ever gave it credit for. I still don't know what SS is my favorite, but honestly thanks for the heads up on SS3. Same thing goes for TSS. wink

Peace

JHendrix
I know I come off as a hating it.

Well, have you ever loved something so much and see ti turn on you? The emotion output remains at the same level, but the energy direction becomes negative, and then you have my stance on SSIV.

I don't hate it, but I feel so strongly about it that I have to show people that think it's better than II or III why it isn't. And it's really quite easy from a technical standpoint to prove that IV is inferior. I cannot prove it is less fun though. For some people, SSIV is the most fun they'll have on the SS series. I can't change that.

Not unless you let me play them one on one...

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Samurai IV's got Sogetsu and Kazuki, so I don't hate the game. It still has it's share of let downs though.

Lost moves (Actually, this is one of the rare cases where I do go off on removed moves. WTF was so bad about Galford's Rolling Crush or Plasma Dog moves?!)

Bust Ukyo's POW Special (I dare anyone whose seen this move in Samurai III see Samurai IV's version and not shed a tear!) oh_no

Fixed some of Samurai III's problems, but not all. Why are we still using Samurai III's Scum Gale-like throws?!

I could go on, but most has already been said.

I love Sogetsu and Kazuki and the suicides are a gas to pull off on friends or newbies I'm whooping up on so I still play Samurai IV. It's good, but definitely not the best in the series.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I think it's cause I'm an SS2 fanboy...

And I mean that in all seriousness. No matter what, I just love that game to death. That's why I'm here I guess. All the other Neo games are just bonus. If it weren't for that game I would never have gotten into the Neo in the first place and I certainly wouldn't have stuck with it for this long...

BIG

sony fanboy
I'd have to go with SS2 on this one.I didn't really get into SS4,but I think it was OK.SS3,IMO,is the pinnacle of the SS series.Breath-taking graphics,superb sound,and on the spot control makes SS3 a true Neo classic.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't know, maybe it's because I played the psx version first and so much, but SS3 really didn't turn me on that much. It controls way different from 2, and I really never got all that used to it. I've played the Neo version several times, but it still reeks of that bad taste of the psx version I was so familiar with. SS2 is still the best, I think.

arstal

n00b
One thing I hated abotu SS3 was the ultra-slow grabs. SS4 fixed that.

I've replayed SS3 some, and while I still think it's inferior, it's not as bad as I remembered- if you don't go infinite happy...