Can anyone actually play AOF2?!

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Got it the other day on CD, and man does it suck!

Did the programeers actually get anyone to playtest this game to see how unfair, and hard to control it is? Maybe if they did, they'd realise what a retarded fighting system it has!!

Even on Level 1 it is a bitch, and you'd be lucky to survive for 3 matches without resorting to cheap tactics.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Well seeing as me, songohan and BBH have all beat geese i wouldn't say it's that hard.

PS: if you hate it can i have it?

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
It's a tough game. You can't play it like a regular fighting game. You can only win by resorting to cheap tactics :(. It definitely ruins the fun :(, but I still like the game. I can get far in the game with a mem card, but have never beaten it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I can win without using cheap tactics.. but then again, what exactly is a cheap tactic? Is using multihit combos cheap tactics? Or knowing how the engine works a cheap tactic knowledge?

People who play this game and go "omg this is too hard!" are usually the ones trying to be fancy during the match. This isn't like any other game..

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
I remember competing with SonGohan to make the maximum score on that game without using a credit in the hardest level, and both of us ended the game without using it.

I have also defeated Gueese Howard.

You should give that game another try. Personally I think it is one of the best fighters for the Neo. In fact if you can play AOF you should also be able to play and enjoy AOF2.

The point is to know the patterns of every challenger, if you think this is a cheap tactics, well the basically all fighting games should be ended by using cheap tactics, because to connect a combo chain can only be done when you know the exact moment to do it, the same as any other hit.

Give the game a second opportunity, this is like some music albums or game that at first glance you do not like, but when you give them a second chance, then you are lost, because they become your favorite ones.

buster_broon

The Rock,
Plisken:
Well seeing as me, songohan and BBH have all beat geese i wouldn't say it's that hard.

PS: if you hate it can i have it?
congrats mate - i knew you were struggling on Geese earlier

M

MrMonk

The opponents play very cheap in AOF2, it isn't impossible, but even on Level 1 it's simply too aggravating.

I still love the game though, but not as much as the original.

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
I'm sure some people have taken the time to master it, but seriousll, the controls in this game are actually worse than in the first game!

AOF2 is like many of the other pre-1996 fighters - they are just too darned difficult and aren't worth mastering.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This game is one of the tightest I've ever played. Take the time to learn it before you try to seriously critique it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Auction Sniper:
I'm sure some people have taken the time to master it, but seriousll, the controls in this game are actually worse than in the first game!

AOF2 is like many of the other pre-1996 fighters - they are just too darned difficult and aren't worth mastering.
Are you aware of how many great games you just insulted with that one remark?

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Average Joe:
The Auction Sniper:

Are you aware of how many great games you just insulted with that one remark?
The only fighter I regret mentioning in that bracket is KOF95; but then again, Voltage Fighter Came out in the same year and that is a very poor fighter indeed.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
It's easy to see who got into fighters late :)
I did, and now I play older titles way more than I play newer stuff.

Perhaps I'm just making up for lost time, who knows, either way, I love my old school :)

Sniper:

Go and check out the Master List for games that came out before 96.

And that is just for Neo games :rolleyes:

<small>[ February 25, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I said it's easy to see, more or less pointing towards TAS, because anybody who bitches about the difficulty of old games are usually the ones who didn't play them when they came out. Games have become too easy these days frown

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's hard. Half the time I pick one of the kyokugenryus and hienshippukyaku until all the tick damage kills them. Keep trying! (and don't throw it out wink )

buster_broon

The Rock,
The Auction Sniper:
Voltage Fighter Came out in the same year and that is a very poor fighter indeed.
excuse me Steven

but Voltage Fighter is a very good fighter - play it more to appreciate it

great game imo wink

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
vishema:
This topic is so sad! u guys nedd help
You nedd a spell checker glee

edit: Test

<small>[ February 26, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Yesterday I got up to Mr Big (after 3 continues) as Ryo and I still reckon this game is really frustrating!

Maybe One day I will beat it, along with King Lion in Fuun Mokshiroku loco .

Although I don't like this game, I won't turf it from my colection either: some of the music is pretty good, and I could always play it in an Audio CD player....

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Ryuko no Ken 2 is a great fighter IMO. It really captures the spirit of the early 1990's arcade fighters even though it came out in 1994. It's a game I'd like to be playing in some dimly light arcade on a rainy night in Tokyo. :)

Difficult yes, just takes practice, I found the more you study the opponents, the better the game becomes. The damage the faces take is a cool thing, I like seeing the faces get all swollen up. :)

Need help, I'm having trouble getting past Mickey with Ryo, any tips on how to?

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
DangerousK:

Need help, I'm having trouble getting past Mickey with Ryo, any tips on how to?
Mickey is a bastard because whenever you try and jump him, or jump of the side of the screen he always dashes under you.

When the match starts, i usually try a Charge Double Kick (im shit at remembering AOF move namesa, forgive me DB > F + K)

Sometimes it hits, other times he will counter it with a projectile. Try to get close enough to throw him. A lot of the CPU fighters are very easy to trick by constantly moving forward and pressing A (standard jab) they will block or take damage every time. Eventually you will get close enough to throw (F + C). Immediately after they land and get up throw a Haohken (QCF + A) it almost hits EVERY time, and gets you an instant dizzy to. Usually i follow up the instant dizzy with a Charge kick, or Flying Kick into Low Kick.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Good stuff, Plisken.

Another thing is drain Mickey of his spirit as quick as you can. His rolling upper and hit you low, and his burning upper can hit you high. These two moves will have you jumping all around, because even if you block them the damage will add up quicker than you think.

One thing I like to do is at the start of the match jump off of the wall, connect a kick with him (will connect almost all of the time). Then when you land, crouch and do 2 light sweeps and a feirce sweep. Good to start off the match with decent damage.

Also, when he's out of spirit, he will kind of stand there. Walk forward a little bit (this can work if you time it right when he has spirit), and then do a zanretsu-ken. 9 times out of 10 he will walk into it. I wouldn't suggest trying to throw Mickey because a lot of times he will just hold you up and start punching you (his grapple). He can be thrown though.

The key to victory over Mickey is poking, and timing your moves right. I wouldn't throw too many projectiles either. Also remember that you can sweep the person just as they're landing from a jump (you can poke a lot of people with this).