Mark Of The Wolves lacking 'Staying Power'??

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I ask this because when i first got the game i absolutely adored it. I have clocked up so many hours in training mode learning all the breaks/combos/sdm's e.t.c. But i haven't played it for a few months. Well i popped it in last night and i just couldn't get into it again at all.

I have also noticed that the price of the Home Cart version is steadily droping. And in our first 'Neo.com top 50 games list' it came in at #4, while in our 2nd list, it didn't break the top 50! so it dropped at least 46 places, maybe more, in 6 months!

So long term owners, what do you think of the game now? does it still have the initial appeal? are you still drawn to play it like i am drawn to the refridgerator? or would you rather play Real Bout / King Of Fighters???

<small>[ February 24, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Plisken ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Plisken:
I ask this because when i first got the game i absolutely adored it. I have clocked up so many hours in training mode learning all the breaks/combos/sdm's e.t.c. But i haven't played it for a few months. Well i popped it in last night and i just couldn't get into it again at all.

I have also noticed that the price of the Home Cart version is steadily droping. And in our first 'Neo.com top 50 games list' it came in at #4, while in our 2nd list, it didn't break the top 50! so it dropped at least 46 places, maybe more, in 6 months!

So long term owners, what do you think of the game now? does it still have the initial appeal? are you still drawn to play it like i am drawn to the refridgerator? or would you rather play Real Bout / King Of Fighters???
Good question. Honestly, the appeal of almost all the games fluctuates like the weather. For a while, I had no real interest in playing Fatal Fury Special, and then boom, I'm all into it. Then Pulstar, then I stop, and after a few months, I pop it back in.

It's not just neo games either. Like, right now, I have no desire to play Vampire Savior, but I love the game, and if I didn't have it, I would definitely buy it.

Other great games that I don't feel like playing now include:
Last Blade 2
KoF 98
KoF 2002
Samurai Spirits (any)
Rage of the Dragons

But I can play Real Bout Special all day long.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think this game needs a sequel to expand upon the game, yet be different. Give a reason to play MOTW over MOTW2, and the other way around. Imagine Real Bout without Special or 2. As good as the game is, I think a lot of people would've probably lost interest if it weren't for the other games for them to go back and forth from. Ask a handful of Neo gamers what their favorite RB is, and there's a good chance that each of the games will be picked by them.

With MOTW, you just have a nice looking game and a decent combo system. There's nothing really to compare it too (except maybe SF3, but two entirely different games by different companies). If there was a MOTW2 (and if it comes out), expect the interest for MOTW to go up along with the price.

Of course that's just how I see it. Others probably (and do) disagree with me. Oh well, right?

buster_broon

The Rock,
I've never really liked the game, it looks amazing but imo there is plenty of better games to occupy my time

what i would like is a fatal fury special 2 - same play mechanics and some tastier graphics

still feel very let down by garou - i dont like to class it in the garou densetsu series

just a game on its own :( :( :( frown

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
It's funny the esteem the Real Bout games are held in right now. A year ago it had it's fans but MotW was much hotter. Now it seems pretty split. Personally I see the merit in both but I find the line system awkward. This most likely stems from the fact that I've neglected the Real Bouts and old school FF games.

mog

Bead Banger
To me Mark is like SFIII, I could never get tired of it.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I just got MOTW, so I find this thread quite interesting.

For me, MOTW is a bittersweet 'what-if'. Pretty much every SNK fighting game started as a promise with a few flaws that served as a solid foundation for what became the true classics for the system (FFS, SS2, LB2, etc.) MOTW had no such luck. By the time it came out, SNK's demise was all but assured, and all they had time for was to pump out one last shitty KoF. I will always believe that had MOTW 2 shown up, it would have been SNK's finest hour. MOTW could use more moves, more characters, just plain more. But what IS there is fucking spectacular IMHO. Great new character designs, mind-blowing animation undreamed of on such an archaic piece of hardware, great tunes...this was the future of Southtown! To me, MOTW is SNK's SF3 with more fun gameplay and much better atmosphere and characters. Comparing MOTW to FFS is like trying to compare Super SF2 Turbo to the first iteration of SF3. One is the refined, evolved version of a fighting game that took a few tries to get right, while the other is a first new step in a bold direction. An evolved sequel to MOTW would have blown the doors off all in its path and been one of the greatest fighting games ever. But we'll never know.

So, despite it's flaws, I love the hell out of MOTW. Just Defend is much more natural than the spastic parries in SF3.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I must say that Son Goten's MotW combo posts made me look at the game from a different angle, but I still think that it's not that good in 1P. Of course, 2P games are where it's at in any fighter, but while I can play KoF 1P for hours, MotW 1P doesn't hold my interest for longer than 30 minutes. The fact that the game looks and sounds awesome doesn't help much IMO.

I still play FFS and RBFF and can't get enough of both of them. True, everlasting gems, with unlimited replay value.

M

MrMonk

Loopz:
I will always believe that had MOTW 2 shown up, it would have been SNK's finest hour. MOTW could use more moves, more characters, just plain more. But what IS there is fucking spectacular IMHO.
Amen.

mog

Bead Banger
Loopz:
I just got MOTW, so I find this thread quite interesting.

For me, MOTW is a bittersweet 'what-if'. Pretty much every SNK fighting game started as a promise with a few flaws that served as a solid foundation for what became the true classics for the system (FFS, SS2, LB2, etc.) MOTW had no such luck. By the time it came out, SNK's demise was all but assured, and all they had time for was to pump out one last shitty KoF. I will always believe that had MOTW 2 shown up, it would have been SNK's finest hour. MOTW could use more moves, more characters, just plain more. But what IS there is fucking spectacular IMHO. Great new character designs, mind-blowing animation undreamed of on such an archaic piece of hardware, great tunes...this was the future of Southtown! To me, MOTW is SNK's SF3 with more fun gameplay and much better atmosphere and characters. Comparing MOTW to FFS is like trying to compare Super SF2 Turbo to the first iteration of SF3. One is the refined, evolved version of a fighting game that took a few tries to get right, while the other is a first new step in a bold direction. An evolved sequel to MOTW would have blown the doors off all in its path and been one of the greatest fighting games ever. But we'll never know.

So, despite it's flaws, I love the hell out of MOTW. Just Defend is much more natural than the spastic parries in SF3.
I think that it has the perfect number of characters an moves. We've all seen examples of what fantastic titles are put out when Neo Geo developers spread themselves too thin.

Saisyu Kusanagi

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I want to have a tourney in it before I put it down, just to see the nasty combos people have been wating to show off! buttrock

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
When MOTW first hit I played it like mad, day in and day out for months. Then I lost intrest quick.
I'm not sure if I can attribute my loss of intrest in MOTW to simply being burnt out on it, but for whatever reason I just don't have the drive to play it anymore.

At the moment I find myself playing the Real Bouts, the classic Fatal Fury Special and various older/underrated Neo fighters (Savage Reign, AODK, Fighter's History Dynamite and the WH series). They just seem to give me more playing enjoyment than the newer Playmore efforts.

Mike