Shin 'ouken (Ragnagard)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So, is this Saurus brawler any good or what?

I'm thinking of donating further funds to Mr C's wood floor, but if the game is a steaming pile of shite, I won't bother wasting my money.

A good low down of the gameplay would be much appreciated.

<small>[ February 22, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Tarma ]</small>

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Total complete and utter shite imho... I wrote a review of it a while back which you can find <a href="http://www.neogeoforlife.com/reviews/ragnagard.shtml" target="_blank">here</a>. It's an old review, so not one of my best, but it should give you a general idea of what the game is like. To be truthful, I'd probably give that game a 3 or 4 out of 10 if I reviewed it now, 5/10 was too much really.

Anybody else want to back me up? :)

buster_broon

The Rock,
i think its crap

**Tarma runs off to buy it now**

but you know me i have to have everygame so i got it on neo cd, but i was interested in getting it a while ago, with Charlies help

but he warned me the one on Yahoo jp was a suspected conversion (it was really cheap)

so i dont think i would buy it unless it was uber cheap

most of saurus's stuff is crap

**buster whistles pi2 because he is too scared to mention it**

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
buster_broon:
i think its crap

**Tarma runs off to buy it now**

but you know me i have to have everygame so i got it on neo cd, but i was interested in getting it a while ago, with Charlies help

but he warned me the one on Yahoo jp was a suspected conversion (it was really cheap)

so i dont think i would buy it unless it was uber cheap

most of saurus's stuff is crap

**buster whistles pi2 because he is too scared to mention it**
Blimey! It must be the greatest beat 'em up since LoSJ!! I must have a copy!! loco

lol... I think I'll give it a miss then. Sorry Wasabi. :(

Saurus = Shock Troopers = fucking brilliant

Best $250 I've spent on a Neo cart for a long, long time. I love it! glee

buster_broon

The Rock,
Tarma:
Saurus = Shock Troopers = fucking brilliant

Best $250 I've spent on a Neo cart for a long, long time. I love it! glee
wink if you ever decide to sell the one you have or have the opperchanceity to get another one

please let me know

have asked hpman but i am whayyyyyyyyy down the line for it :D :D :D :D

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Shock Troopers is better than Mercs. period. glee

I thought you'd got that NeoGeo2k2 dude to make you a copy? spock

buster_broon

The Rock,
Tarma:
Shock Troopers is better than Mercs. period. glee

I thought you'd got that NeoGeo2k2 dude to make you a copy? spock
yeah i asked him to do me that and blazing star and we agreed around about march time

but Sal asked him to do a blazing star and he told sal that he wasnt doing conversions any more

so i guess he has either forgotten to tell me or changed his mind

but i have until June to get this, after June i am in the Uk based in gosport with a mortgage, so no new Neo stuff for me for a while

Power Instinct is gonna be my last cart - me thinks, unless you take payment plans Rich loco loco loco

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Ragnagard is just misunderstood. The aerial combo system is really really different. Charlie even pointed out to me on the spine "Air battle action game" or something similiar. My problem with it is the rendered graphics make my eyes burn.

Well, gotta come out of the woodwork. I actually like this game. Amusingly, it took me having played Guilty Gear X to appreciate Ragnagard.

As EvilMike said, it's an aerial battle game. And there are similar concepts in both.

There's air dashing which I initially thought was implemented well for the first time in Guilty Gear X. It's done well in Ragnagard too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sammy developers took much from the Ragnagard game engine. You can air dash immediately after jumping attacks and vice versa.

The ground dashing is very useful too and most moves can be performed during the air dash or ground dash as like they were on the ground.

There's a air combo like initiator (like in GGX) where you jump and press AB then carry on a combo.

The Power Meter system is very novel. A little difficult to put clearly in words and you have to try it yourself to understand fully. There are 4 essences; Fire, Earth, Water, Air. Each character has 2. Press ABC to charge up the first essence and BCD to charge the second. Upon charging up, the air fills with interference from the respective essence and (I think) if you happen to be in a position of where the essence discharges, e.g. tiny flaming eruptions on the ground or lightning bolts, etc., you gain a power stock of that essence. Needless to say when both characters are charged up, a lot happens on the screen.

The point of having 2 kinds of power is the DMs. You need the particular essence stock to perform the DM. I took me some time to figure out and consistently execute Susano's Fire DM but once I did, I kept doing it coz' it really looks cool. mr_t Hard to describe and best if you see it for yourself. If close enough, all blasts will hit and the last two beams will hit as the opponent is launched into the air. Sweet.

The only faq on gamefaqs (by Bun) lists that the SDM can only be performed by having 3 power stocks and red life. I found this not to be the case thankfully, you can do it whenever you have red life. However, and I find this a little strange, if you happen to have 3 power stocks when you perform the SDM, they will be drained. I'll probably experiment more to see if the SDM can be performed with non-red life and 3 stocks, or whether it does more damage with the 3 stocks.

Other characters' specials and DMs are quite spectacular too. You will find that many ideas have been borrowed by Guilty Gear X as well as character designs.

The combo system is existent and quite alright.
I think the main thing that detracts from the game is the range of the normal punches and kicks. You have to be really close to combo.

The pre-rendered polygonal graphics are quite interesting and different from the usual fare. A much better effort went in to this game than Brikinger, which I thought was a pile of turd. Ragnagard was made by Saurus and System Vision.

Point to note, don't get this game based on my taste, I got an original butchered MVS cart cheap for $5.99.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Can't say I mind losing a sale on ShinOuKen. I do love the game - just for the boss matches at the end, which are incredible, and incredibly tough. A lot of the backgrounds make Tohshinden look good, but with characters like Susanou, Benten, Binten, Chichi and Nene, and Syutendouji, the game is a winner for me.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:
Can't say I mind losing a sale on ShinOuKen. I do love the game - just for the boss matches at the end, which are incredible, and incredibly tough. A lot of the backgrounds make Tohshinden look good, but with characters like Susanou, Benten, Binten, Chichi and Nene, and Syutendouji, the game is a winner for me.
I guess you'll just have to settle for laminate in one corner of your apartment... wink

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The game is alright. I was put off by it, the graphics range from cool to amazingly bad... like the Genesis trying to do Killer Instinct... it is just so washed out and badly colored.

It can be fun, but the controls are so stiff and unresponsive that it quickly becomes a bout with frustration. It is an ok game, but probably best left for the collectors :)

-Nick